Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

One size socks?

One size socks?

Old May 31st 2008, 2:46 am
Forum Regular

qwerty007 will become famous soon enoughqwerty007 will become famous soon enough
Default One size socks?

OK, I've read the thread on kettles. Actually Bed, Bath and Beyond have a small selection. But what about socks? My last trip back the UK I stocked up on socks from Selfridges, but nearly all my socks now have holes. I bought a few pairs from Macy's, and threw them out. They all seem to come in a huge range sizes of 6-11, and so on. Anyone know where I can find some socks with a better fitting size range?
Old May 31st 2008, 3:23 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One size socks?

I've always found the sizes went 6-9, 9-11, 11-13...or maybe I'm just imagining it...it is quite late afterall...but this is bugging me now so I'm going to go on the look out for well sized socks tomorrow..I'll let you know what I find
Old May 31st 2008, 3:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by qwerty007
OK, I've read the thread on kettles. Actually Bed, Bath and Beyond have a small selection. But what about socks? My last trip back the UK I stocked up on socks from Selfridges, but nearly all my socks now have holes. I bought a few pairs from Macy's, and threw them out. They all seem to come in a huge range sizes of 6-11, and so on. Anyone know where I can find some socks with a better fitting size range?
I've never seen socks sized any other way. But then, I don't shop in any high end stores that may have a different sizing method. I've always bought at Macy's, Target, Kohl's, JCPenny's.
Old May 31st 2008, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

qwerty007 will become famous soon enoughqwerty007 will become famous soon enough

Macy's is pretty high end. UK sock sizes are a much closer fit, within a two size range whereas US socks are within a four to five size range, so if you are an 8, you need to buy a 6-11, which isn't exactly made to measure is it?
Old May 31st 2008, 2:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to behold

Qwerty - you're right about the socks here. I tend to stock up in the UK when I go. I have had semi-success in Macys, but not really looked in high end stores.

Of course you could be really old fashioned and darn the scoks with holes....
Old May 31st 2008, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

Ah, so it's not just me then. You know I have never tried darning socks. I guess you just sew the sides of the hole together? Or is it a fancy kind of stitch?
Old May 31st 2008, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

Having big feet finally works for something!
Old May 31st 2008, 5:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, so it's not just me then. You know I have never tried darning socks. I guess you just sew the sides of the hole together? Or is it a fancy kind of stitch?
No you don't just sew the sides of the hole together. The point of darning is to fill the hole in...usually you make a weave with yarn to fill the hole.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned the length of socks sold in the US. Most are much longer than the ones in the UK...my husband won't wear them.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; May 31st 2008 at 6:15 pm.
Old May 31st 2008, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

petalsf is just really nicepetalsf is just really nicepetalsf is just really nicepetalsf is just really nicepetalsf is just really nicepetalsf is just really nicepetalsf is just really nicepetalsf is just really nice

I've avoided the problem by moving to California and spending my days in sandels

Sorry, Saturday silliness here. Though I suspect I won't wear socks again until September

(off to find a nice profile pic seeing that I seem to be getting sucked into these boards hehe )
Old May 31st 2008, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

I remember a wooden ball on a stick in the house growing up. I was told it was for darning. I think you stuck it in the sock and it exposed the hole, then to weave a new section I would think you did long stitches across one way and then wove under and over the other to make a repair. My mother never used it although my dad seemed to think she should!
Old May 31st 2008, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

petalsf is just really nicepetalsf is just really nicepetalsf is just really nicepetalsf is just really nicepetalsf is just really nicepetalsf is just really nicepetalsf is just really nicepetalsf is just really nice

Some kind person has put up a sock-darning instructional video on youtube here
Old May 31st 2008, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

So that's how it's done. Amazing video ...amazing what you can find on Youtube. But I don't have the patience or fingers ...any of you nice ladies want to darn my socks? ...just kidding.
Old May 31st 2008, 10:24 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bevinva
I remember a wooden ball on a stick in the house growing up. I was told it was for darning. I think you stuck it in the sock and it exposed the hole, then to weave a new section I would think you did long stitches across one way and then wove under and over the other to make a repair. My mother never used it although my dad seemed to think she should!

Looks like a wooden mushroom
Old May 31st 2008, 10:36 pm
Account Closed

Optimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond repute

I have to admit that I hated US mens style socks. Way to long and dont like a sock that goes virtually right up the entire length of my claf. Therefore Mrs R would buy me US "womens" socks...they are usually the same length as UK mens socks.
Old May 31st 2008, 10:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Optimus Prime
I have to admit that I hated US mens style socks. Way to long and dont like a sock that goes virtually right up the entire length of my claf. Therefore Mrs R would buy me US "womens" socks...they are usually the same length as UK mens socks.
I knew it...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.