Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Drivers license renewal

Drivers license renewal

Old Aug 2nd 2010, 5:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drivers license renewal

Originally Posted by Burn1911
I renewed ours online and they didn't ask for any proof of legal status. Nada Nothing!!
That's how I renewed mine in IL earlier this year, you can do that if you already have an 'in-State' license for the State you are still living in. Unfortunately, you have to do it in person and with proof of citizenship if you are renewing in a different State. (At least here you do)
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 5:23 pm
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
That's how I renewed mine in IL earlier this year, you can do that if you already have an 'in-State' license for the State you are still living in. Unfortunately, you have to do it in person and with proof of citizenship if you are renewing in a different State. (At least here you do)
looks like you will have to unpack ALL those boxes after all!!!!
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

Steve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Yes he does have a 10 year green card, and he does have a regular license, well it looks the same as mine and expires the same year mine does.
I have a 10 year green card too, but my SC license (which I just got last friday) is only for 5 years. I think the 5 year thing is as a result of only being a permanent resident, as USCs' who apply in person at the DMV get a ten year one. (Online renewal, irrespective of status only gets you a 5 year one). That's in SC.... It's probably completely different in other states!
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 6:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

looks like you will have to unpack ALL those boxes after all!!!!
Have been through them all, (again) It's so frustrating, because I had it in my hand just over a week ago, while going through paperwork to look for hubby's birth cert' Now it's like it just evaporated into thin air!!
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 6:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Steve_I
I have a 10 year green card too, but my SC license (which I just got last friday) is only for 5 years. I think the 5 year thing is as a result of only being a permanent resident, as USCs' who apply in person at the DMV get a ten year one. (Online renewal, irrespective of status only gets you a 5 year one). That's in SC.... It's probably completely different in other states!
But to renew it online, you have to have had a previous SC drivers license
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

Steve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond repute

But to renew it online, you have to have had a previous SC drivers license
Yep, I know. It's a bit of a bugger! I'm looking in the drivers manual as we speak and for proof of citizenship you can use either a birth certificate, a US passport (current or expired not more than ten years) or a certificate of USC. You're good to go, but may have to stand in line for a while!

Edit: I just looked back in the thread and found you don't have a US passport... Scrap that 'good to go' bit!

Last edited by Steve_I; Aug 2nd 2010 at 6:35 pm. Reason: Engage brain before opening gob Steven!
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 6:37 pm
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_I
Yep, I know. It's a bit of a bugger! I'm looking in the drivers manual as we speak and for proof of citizenship you can use either a birth certificate, a US passport (current or expired not more than ten years) or a certificate of USC. You're good to go, but may have to stand in line for a while!

Edit: I just looked back in the thread and found you don't have a US passport... Scrap that 'good to go' bit!
Do you feel like your thread is now going round in circles helpful lot aren't we!!
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 7:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Do you feel like your thread is now going round in circles helpful lot aren't we!!
It's just so damn annoying, I am not too bothered about driving here, but hubby works almost an hour away, so it's better to have the option. That probably sounds kinda wierd huh? I have never enjoyed driving, especially in the US, hubby loves it, so I don't have to do too much, but I know I need to be able too, once I am a bit more used to the area it will be useful too.

I cannot see paying over $300 for a copy of USC, that's almost as much as the original! I will just have to keep looking

I know it's my own fault, no point complaining, but I will anyway
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 7:28 pm
Catahoula Lover!!!

If I could I would come and help you look for it
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 7:32 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

It's just so damn annoying, I am not too bothered about driving here, but hubby works almost an hour away, so it's better to have the option. That probably sounds kinda wierd huh? I have never enjoyed driving, especially in the US, hubby loves it, so I don't have to do too much, but I know I need to be able too, once I am a bit more used to the area it will be useful too.

I cannot see paying over $300 for a copy of USC, that's almost as much as the original! I will just have to keep looking

Hope you find it.

I put things in safe places all the time, only for them never to be seen again I did recently find my daughters birth certificate that had been missing since we arrived here 3 years ago, it really wasn't in a safe place though
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 7:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

If I could I would come and help you look for it
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 8:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by N1cky
Hope you find it.

I put things in safe places all the time, only for them never to be seen again I did recently find my daughters birth certificate that had been missing since we arrived here 3 years ago, it really wasn't in a safe place though
I can't even remember what a 'safe place' is anymore!
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 10:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

We were in ours here last week, first you have to pay the property tax on your vehicles (yes, property tax!!) Then you have to register them, then you are allowed to change your DL to SC State one!
It's all about the money upfront here. It got me you had to pay the property tax upfront. Many states do it retrospectively at the end of each year. I presume if you leave SC during the year it would be pro-rated?

My license is still valid (just renewed it before we left IL) But I have to get it changed to SC State. SC has some pretty strict laws as far as what you need for doing things here, they recently (in a nearby town) started insisting that you cannot rent/buy a home there without proof of citizenship.
Welcome to the home of another anti-illegal immigrant State. They've been mulling over introducing an AZ-style law here lately. Must be election time soon

The local tech college here told me my new immigrant wife couldn't attend college until she was an LPR. They said it's because of the new law signed last year. The law prohibits an illegal immigrant from attending college but somehow the college interpreted it to mean any new legal pending immigrant too. Load of old bollocks that was. Turns out the new law says nothing of the sort. It doesn't ban new legal immigrants at all
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

RJHayes000 is just really niceRJHayes000 is just really niceRJHayes000 is just really niceRJHayes000 is just really niceRJHayes000 is just really niceRJHayes000 is just really niceRJHayes000 is just really niceRJHayes000 is just really niceRJHayes000 is just really niceRJHayes000 is just really nice

You might want to go to scdmvonline.com and the section which says "moving to South Carolina" in the top left area.

It will give you links to MV-93, which is the checklist to use if you are a US citizen getting a DL for the first time or moving back into SC from another state. Remember to bring original copies, because they don't accept photocopies. If you are a Non-US citizen, look for the link to form MV-94.

The reason you have to bring those things is partly because of 9/11 - "it changed everything", and partly because the DMV is starting to align itself with the Real ID act. Soon, it is planned that all states will have these requirements.

The wait time at Leeds Ave on friday was horrendous, but that was partly because Ladson DMV lost power and all their customers came to Leeds Ave also .... amongst other things. But then if you're going to the DMV, don't go on a Friday afternoon - it's just asking for trouble.

Yes, if you are a non-US Citizen, you only get a 5 year card, and soon - it is said - they will be adding information relating to your Green Card expiration date. You also get a 5 year card if you are under 17 or a geriatric.

You can also call (803) 896-5000, which is the DMV Headquarters in Columbia, and a live operator will be able to advise you if you can't find your form. Or tell you that you're s.o.l. without it and you need to look harder - depending on circumstances, I suppose.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 11:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Brit3964
It's all about the money upfront here. It got me you had to pay the property tax upfront. Many states do it retrospectively at the end of each year. I presume if you leave SC during the year it would be pro-rated?

Welcome to the home of another anti-illegal immigrant State. They've been mulling over introducing an AZ-style law here lately. Must be election time soon

The local tech college here told me my new immigrant wife couldn't attend college until she was an LPR. They said it's because of the new law signed last year. The law prohibits an illegal immigrant from attending college but somehow the college interpreted it to mean any new legal pending immigrant too. Load of old bollocks that was. Turns out the new law says nothing of the sort. It doesn't ban new legal immigrants at all

It was property tax on the auto's, not a home. You can't register the car until after you pay the prop' tax on it!

Doesn't bother me that SC is anti-illegal immigrant, I am here legally and to be honest I think everyone should be, why not? It is getting a bit silly though, everyone needs to be on the same page if they are changing rules, it pisses me off when one office is totally ass backwards compared to the one right next door!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.