Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driver's license center didn't like my receipt!

Driver's license center didn't like my receipt!

Old Aug 15th 2003, 6:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant future
Default Driver's license center didn't like my receipt!

I just went with my husband to a driver's license center in PA. THey recently updated the PA drivers website to include info that allows aliens with K-1 status who applied for AOS to get a learners permit. So we brought all of the stuff that it told us to bring. It asked for the Adustment of status receipt, so we showed them that and they said "this isn't a receipt." We just could not get through to them that it was the receipt. It says BCIS Pittsburgh on it and notes that we paid for the I-485. So what the heck do they want?? Anybody know about this or how to get through to anyone??
Old Aug 15th 2003, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

Cypher is an unknown quantity at this point

Was it the official looking letter with the BCIS letterhead and the watermark and all that good stuff or just a white piece of paper?

Regards
Old Aug 15th 2003, 7:42 pm
jingling

jcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond repute

I thought they only issued small receipts (much like grocery store ones ech...)? Is there another type, or a formal letter confirming receipt?

Juliet
Old Aug 15th 2003, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

Trinity is an unknown quantity at this point

This happened to us too. They didnt like our receipt and told us to return with a formal letter from BCIS. However, I could not get such a letter from our office.

Therefore, once my husband has his green card and social security number (after July 1, 2003, this is required for a dl) we are going back to get the drivers license. We got lucky with our car insurance, they added him to mine using his British license.

According to KS, he can drive on that one for a year. However, he doesnt take too many chances driving his car. He's been pulled over for speeding once (on the highway 82 in a 70), but they let him go with a verbal warning and had me drive.

Good luck!
Old Aug 15th 2003, 8:17 pm
Aknicolle

Default Re: Driver's license center didn't like my receipt!

I don't know about PA, but I had a similar problem getting my driver's license
in IL. Despite having all the required documentation and pointing repeatedly at
the big list of documentation on the wall behind them, they refused to allow me
to sit the test, saying they needed to see a greencard (which was absolute
nonsense).

I would advise contacting the Secretary of State's office, explaining the
situation and providing them with the location of the facility you went to. I
did that, and within a month, had a response. I went back to the same facility
and they miraculously knew how to do things after that
Good luck!

Andrew

>I just went with my husband to a driver's license center in PA. THey
    >recently updated the PA drivers website to include info that allows
    >aliens with K-1 status who applied for AOS to get a learners permit. So
    >we brought all of the stuff that it told us to bring. It asked for the
    >Adustment of status receipt, so we showed them that and they said "this
    >isn't a receipt." We just could not get through to them that it was the
    >receipt. It says BCIS Pittsburgh on it and notes that we paid for the
    >I-485. So what the heck do they want?? Anybody know about this or how to
    >get through to anyone??

Old Aug 16th 2003, 1:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Steff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant future

Originally posted by jcapulet
I thought they only issued small receipts (much like grocery store ones ech...)? Is there another type, or a formal letter confirming receipt?

Juliet
Yes, it looks like a little white grocery store receipt, but says BCIS Pittsburgh sub-office at the top
This was all that they gave us

there is a pic of it on this site(with A# and some other numbers removed)
http://www.geocities.com/loose_rooster_dolls/stuff.html

But we did call the main office at Harrisburg. The woman on the phone didn't even know that the part about non-us citizens married to US citizens that was added to the Penndot website about getting a drivers license. She said she will forward it to some people higher up because the offices need to be told this and told what the receipts actually look like. She said she will call us back in three days, so hopefully we will get somewhere!

Trinity, maybe you should check up with a few different people at the main center in your state. We have been told false info from several different people now, all of them thought they knew what they were talking about but they didn't even know that non-US citizens who are married to US citizens can get a drivers license (according to the Penndot web site, which no one seems to know about, they can!!)

Last edited by Steff; Aug 16th 2003 at 1:48 am.