Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driver's License Apply or Renew

Driver's License Apply or Renew

Old Jun 20th 2019, 12:02 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driver's License Apply or Renew

Originally Posted by kbales
Good to know! Thank you very much. I think we are going to DPS Friday so I'll keep everyone updated.
what part of Texas ? There are fewer DVD officers now and they cover wider areas so be prepared for a long wait. In some areas even if you have an appointment you still wait a long time.

Our local one is the only one for our County and people start lining up before 7.00am every morning. They only let a few people in at a time so people are outside in 90+ degree heat. An ambulance outside the building is a common sight!
Old Jun 20th 2019, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

kbales is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
what part of Texas ? There are fewer DVD officers now and they cover wider areas so be prepared for a long wait. In some areas even if you have an appointment you still wait a long time.

Our local one is the only one for our County and people start lining up before 7.00am every morning. They only let a few people in at a time so people are outside in 90+ degree heat. An ambulance outside the building is a common sight!
We recently moved to El Paso! Good to know about the wait times. The las thing I want to be doing is waiting outside for hours in the desert!
Old Jun 21st 2019, 12:46 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

El Paso seems to have 4 centers.
I always advise to get there 30 minutes before opening or take an appointment. Appointments can only be made for the same day and you don' t really get a choice of time, it is sent to your phone and you either accept or ask for a later time.
go here
Tx DPS - Driver License office locations
select el paso. Choose the office
"click to get inline online"
click -first time TX license
then scroll down that page to "yes, put me inline"
Old Jun 21st 2019, 12:45 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kbales
We recently moved to El Paso! Good to know about the wait times. The las thing I want to be doing is waiting outside for hours in the desert!
Personally, I'd try late in the afternoon, or at least a check to find out what the wait is like. I am not in Texas, but when I got my first NC license I turned up around 4:10pm, and swapped my license (I didn't need a road test) and still had time to go and register my vehicles before the vehicle registration office closed at 5pm. The vehicle registration office was across town, over 5 miles away from the licensing center!
Old Jun 21st 2019, 3:44 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in the DPS several times a month.
you can get there early in the morning, when it's cool(er) with a cup of coffee and wait 30 minutes, then usually done within the 30minutes -hour after they open (average 20 minutes of processing)
Texas DPS' are generally very, very busy. The big cities in the State are experiencing large influxes of new residents.
The fact that they have 4 centers in El Paso is an indication that they process a lot of applications there.
I hate waiting in dps and ssa -all those people coughing and sneezing, spreading their bugs everywhere! I also take my own pens and clipboards and hand sanitizer.........