British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Driver's License Apply or Renew (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/drivers-license-apply-renew-925834/)

kbales Jun 18th 2019 3:32 am

Driver's License Apply or Renew

Hi everyone. My husband is a UKC who recently arrived to the US as a permanent resident. He has lived in the US before (4 years for university). During his time at university, he had a Texas driver's license. It has been roughly 3-4 years since his driver's license was valid. Now that he is back in Texas as a permanent resident, does anyone know if he can just renew his license, or since it's been a few years - does he need to reapply? He doesn't have his old license anymore, just in case that is a factor. Thanks for any advice!

Pulaski Jun 18th 2019 3:54 am

Re: Driver's License Apply or Renew

As he is back in Texas I think he should be able to request a new license. If he had moved to another state is might be more complicated as I think typically states won't swap an out of state license that has expired more than two years ago.

scrubbedexpat091 Jun 18th 2019 6:45 am

If the license has been expired for more than 2 years, it cannot be renewed according to the Texas state website.

Driver licenses or ID cards that have been expired for more than two years cannot be renewed. If your driver license or ID card has been expired for more than two years, you:
  1. Must apply in person as a new applicant at a driver license office, and
  2. Meet all of the requirements for a new ID card or driver license(including taking the knowledge and driving tests).
  3. Verify your eligibility to apply for a driver license by visiting our License Eligibility page.
https://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense/renewal.htm

kbales Jun 18th 2019 7:39 am

Ah, that makes sense! He said he actually thinks it expired in 2017, which could potentially be within the two year window. I guess we'll just have to go to DPS and see what they have on record and go from there. Thank you both!

durham_lad Jun 18th 2019 8:30 am

Hopefully at worst a knowledge test will be the most he has to do. When we moved from Texas to Louisiana we just had to take the multiple choice test, and when we moved back to Texas 15 years later we just had to take an eye test. That was in 2010 so things may well have changed since then.

TexanScot Jun 18th 2019 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by durham_lad (Post 12699560)
Hopefully at worst a knowledge test will be the most he has to do. When we moved from Texas to Louisiana we just had to take the multiple choice test, and when we moved back to Texas 15 years later we just had to take an eye test. That was in 2010 so things may well have changed since then.

Having obtained a Texas license as new resident in 2017, the requirements to do even if you do need to start from scratch are laughably easy - you can skip the knowledge test altogether if you sit the online training through a certified provider.

He'll be fine.

jkeller Jun 18th 2019 3:15 pm

https://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense/renewal.htm

He can try to renew it online. Don't know if he meets all the requirements for that. If he does, the new one will use the same photo as his expired one. Takes about 6-10 days to show up in the mail.

Pulaski Jun 18th 2019 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by jkeller (Post 12699783)
.... He can try to renew it online. Don't know if he meets all the requirements for that. If he does, the new one will use the same photo as his expired one. Takes about 6-10 days to show up in the mail.

It would make sense to do it in person as a (first) renewal on-line wouldn't get him a "Real ID" drivers license, and Real ID DLs have additional utility, specifically they are recognized by the federal government as a verified ID and therefore useful for ID for domestic flights.* He will need to provide evidence of name, address, DOB, and SSN, so typically a passport, utility bills, and SS card or W2 to obtain a Real ID DL.

* If you don't have a Real ID DL, then curiously you may need a passport to fly domestically within the US. :rofl: The implementation date for the requirement for a "Real ID" identification document in order to be allowed to fly is is October 1, 2020.

jkeller Jun 18th 2019 4:00 pm

Texas has only issued real id's for the last couple of years. There is no non-real id option. I'm going to say that an old drivers license that he got while here on a student visa can't be renewed online. If he's in a major city look for one of the mega centers and make an appointment.

(Non-CDL) Class A and B Exempt Vehicles Test Sites

Pulaski Jun 18th 2019 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by jkeller (Post 12699812)
Texas has only issued real id's for the last couple of years. There is no non-real id option. ...

Have you renewed your DL in Texas within the past couple of years? Until last month I used to think the same thing about NC, but when I came to renew my DL while a Real ID DL is available in NC, if you do it on line (or in person without the fistful of required documents) you will be issued with a non-Real ID DL. In other words it lacks the star that denotes "Real ID Compliant".

This page, re Texas DL's, unsurprisngly looks exactly like the one for NC - to get a replacement Real ID compliant Texas DL, you need to attend in person with the required ID verification documents, which is exactly what I hd to do in NC.

jkeller Jun 18th 2019 4:21 pm

No, mine was issued 5 years ago. They are valid for 6 in Texas. I'm eligible to online renew the next time, but I don't know if I can go from a non-real id to a real id drivers license by online or not. My wife and parents all got real id DL here in the last year and a half, but they all went to the DL office in person though. They weren't given an option for real id or not and there isn't a different cost option, one for real id one not, listed on the Texas dps website.

TheKingOfHearts Jun 18th 2019 4:32 pm

Texas only allows USC's to renew online; so that's out of the question.

As for real ID, they've only issued real ID cards for the last few years, there isn't an option to recieve a non-real ID license (there is here in Illinois..)

If you lose your license (real ID) you must attend in person, if you have a non real ID and want to renew to real ID, you'll need to attend in person.

Renewing an existing real ID as a USC is possible online, but that's the only circumstance where it is.

TexanScot Jun 18th 2019 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by jkeller (Post 12699783)
He can try to renew it online.

My understanding is that only US Citizens are eligible for online services in Texas - I've had to go into a DPS office and wait in line for every change of address.

petitefrancaise Jun 18th 2019 8:32 pm

He has to go in to the DPS
documents needed
certificate from impact texas video
proof of 30 days' residence
i94
2 proofs of address
passport with visa stamped inside
If he owns a car he will have to get that registered first in his name and then take the insurance docs+registration doc with him
he can do the knowledge test at the office once he's completed the registration
then he can take the road test. Wait times at the moment are 4/8 weeks at the dps. He can get a third party skills tester instead which will cost $100.

kbales Jun 20th 2019 4:07 am

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise (Post 12699940)
He has to go in to the DPS
documents needed
certificate from impact texas video
proof of 30 days' residence
i94
2 proofs of address
passport with visa stamped inside
If he owns a car he will have to get that registered first in his name and then take the insurance docs+registration doc with him
he can do the knowledge test at the office once he's completed the registration
then he can take the road test. Wait times at the moment are 4/8 weeks at the dps. He can get a third party skills tester instead which will cost $100.

Good to know! Thank you very much. I think we are going to DPS Friday so I'll keep everyone updated.