Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

driver's license

driver's license

Old Jan 14th 2002, 3:09 pm
Winnie Pang

http://dmvct.org/opoutcl.htm

Just to make sure that I am understanding the above correctly, does it mean that once
a K-1 visa holder establishes residency in CT, s/he has 30 days to get the CT
driver's license? Does residency mean becomes a permanent resident or does it mean
starts living in CT?

Old Jan 14th 2002, 3:27 pm

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

it means start living in ct.

don't forget to bring a piece of mail addressed to you. the ct dmv will not issue a
driver's license without it.

also, when i went to the ct dmv in hamden, it took them about an hour to verify my
k-1 status (this was shortly after 9/11 though).

- ruud
--
    >

Old Jan 14th 2002, 3:28 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You are for the purpose of the state driver's license requirement considered a resident the moment you moved into your home. It has nothing whatsoever to do with your green card.

Check to see if the DMV for CT will issue you a license with only the K-1 in your passport and a social security number. Other states will not.

NYS is talking about allowing all immigrants, legal and illegal, to get a NYS driver's license with only a IRS issued taxpayer's identification number. This bill is being pushed by Mr. Oritz for all his illegal hispanic constituents.

Rete
Old Jan 14th 2002, 3:52 pm
Ruud De Rooij

>
    >

yes, they will. or at least, they issued me a license in late september last year
based on my k-1 status.

>
    >
    >

how exactly can illegal immigrants be constituents?

- ruud
--
    >

Old Jan 14th 2002, 3:54 pm
Winnie Pang

Thanks. Was your SSN required?

>
    >
[usenetquote2]> > http://dmvct.org/opoutcl.htm[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Just to make sure that I am understanding the above correctly, does it mean that[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > once a K-1 visa holder establishes residency in CT, s/he has 30 days to get the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > CT driver's license? Does residency mean becomes a permanent resident or does it[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > mean starts living in CT?[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jan 14th 2002, 4:06 pm
Winnie Pang

Thanks. Did you have to do the eye, written and road test if you had a current
foreign driver's license?

ruud de rooij wrote:

>
    >
[usenetquote2]> > Check to see if the DMV for CT will issue you a license with only the K-1 in your[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > passport and a social security number. Other states will not.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > NYS is talking about allowing all immigrants, legal and illegal, to get a NYS[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > driver's license with only a IRS issued taxpayer's identification number. This[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > bill is being pushed by Mr. Oritz for all his illegal hispanic constituents.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jan 14th 2002, 4:37 pm
Ruud De Rooij

[usenetquote2]> > > Check to see if the DMV for CT will issue you a license with only the K-1 in[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > your passport and a social security number. Other states will not.[/usenetquote2]

[usenetquote2]> > yes, they will. or at least, they issued me a license in late september last year[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > based on my k-1 status.[/usenetquote2]

>
    >

i only had to do the eye test as i had a valid license from california.

- ruud
--
    >

Old Jan 14th 2002, 4:43 pm
Ruud De Rooij

[usenetquote2]> > don't forget to bring a piece of mail addressed to you. the ct dmv will not issue[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > a driver's license without it.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > also, when i went to the ct dmv in hamden, it took them about an hour to verify[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > my k-1 status (this was shortly after 9/11 though).[/usenetquote2]

>

i believe so, but i am not absolutely sure. i had my ssn already so i simply filled
it out on the form when they asked for it. i can't remember if the box for the ssn
was marked as required.

- ruud
--
    >

Old Jan 14th 2002, 5:05 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

They are members of families and have friends that are constitutents and one day in the future might be voting members of US society as well. Be nice to the illegals and you gain the votes of once foreign, now USC voters.

My congresswoman's liasion was more than anxious to assist my foreign husband with his INS problem and my husband is no where near ready to become a US citizen and vote.

Winnie

As a Canadian the chances are you will only to do pass an eye examine. Many states "exchange" licenses with Canadians and don't require written or driving tests.

Rita
Old Jan 14th 2002, 6:02 pm
Nalu

I didn't get the DL as a K1, but I did get a new DL in Hawaii as a CPR, and I had to
do the eye, written and road test, eventhough I already had a DL from my home
country. Good luck.

>
    >