Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Drivers Licence and SSN in MS

Drivers Licence and SSN in MS

Old Aug 26th 2007, 8:36 am
Twice half his height

Knight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond repute
Default Drivers Licence and SSN in MS

Hi there,

I've been looking into the requirements for getting a Drivers Licence in MS once I move over on my K1 visa.

After a few calls, I got put through to a local centre who told me that I had to be an LPR before I could have a licence, but I assumed she was using it as a generic term for an immigrant because she then said I'd have to bring my visa papers with me. She also said I'd need my SSN with me to get the licence.

Now, I know I have to wait at least 10 days from entry for my details to be available on the SAVE database before I apply for an SSN. What I want to know is what once I have applied for an SSN, is there something they can give me to use as proof of an SSN for the driving licence? I understand it takes about 3 weeks or so to get the actual SS card.

If they can't give me proof, and I have to wait for the SS card before I get my MS licence, how long can I use my UK licence once I have moved over?

I get the feeling not many people ever move to MS, and even fewer of them use this forum, so I drew up a bit of a blank when I searched for MS on here.

Any help or pointers is appreciated.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 12:59 pm

mdyoung is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Drivers Licence and SSN in MS

Originally Posted by Knight
Hi there,

I've been looking into the requirements for getting a Drivers Licence in MS once I move over on my K1 visa.

After a few calls, I got put through to a local centre who told me that I had to be an LPR before I could have a licence, but I assumed she was using it as a generic term for an immigrant because she then said I'd have to bring my visa papers with me. She also said I'd need my SSN with me to get the licence.

Now, I know I have to wait at least 10 days from entry for my details to be available on the SAVE database before I apply for an SSN. What I want to know is what once I have applied for an SSN, is there something they can give me to use as proof of an SSN for the driving licence? .
They can give you an SSN Verification Printout, which will verify your SSN and name. Just be sure to say it's for an employer or they might not want to give it to you.

https://s044a90.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0100202320
RM 00202.320 Issuing Numidents and SSN Verification Printouts

2. NH Insists on Obtaining Document For Third Party Verification

A NH may still insist on obtaining an SSN Verification Printout – either because a replacement card request was processed and they do not want to wait for receipt of the replacement card or because they don’t have the necessary evidentiary documentation to obtain a replacement card. In these cases:

-- Obtain proper identification from the NH per GN 03340.015B.
-- Stamp the FO address stamp on the SSN Verification and sign the
document before providing it to the NH

They are supposed to take this section of POMS off the Website as too sensitive to share with the public, so if you want to make a copy you might not want wait.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 7:46 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I get the feeling not many people ever move to MS, and even fewer of them use this forum, so I drew up a bit of a blank when I searched for MS on here.

Any help or pointers is appreciated.
It doesn't matter how many folk you find here from MS--the rules have been changing rapidly. Look on the MS DMV site for details of exactly what evidence will suffice for them. If you don't understand what you read there, post it over here for help.

You do NOT *have* to wait 10 days.. SOME people have made their SSA application much earlier and had success.. it is all down to luck of the draw and the staff at the airport where you first enter (POE). There's nothing you can do to control whether or not your name is entered in the SAVE database or when.
Read this post for tips, and if you're coming as a K-1 remember that your marital status is NOTHING to do with your SSA application and you do not/should not mention it.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...96&postcount=5
Old Aug 26th 2007, 8:31 pm
Twice half his height

Knight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond repute

Well, contrary to what I was told, I have found a website that contains the information I need.

Originally Posted by "MS Department of Public Safety
If you are a non-U.S. citizen, you must meet all other requirements for obtaining an operator's license or identification card except for providing a social security card. The license or identification card will be valid for one (1) year from date of issuance.

You must present valid immigration papers, including a birth certificate, passport, I-94, proof of domicile and alien resident card (if you have one).
I don't need the SSN by the looks of it, but proof of domicile will be tricky, because the proof has to be in either my name or my spouse's name, so we'll have to wait after the wedding to be sure.

I've sent an email to someone in the MS Highway Patrol who is listed as a contact for this, just explaining that I am moving, and asked him to verify if a list of documents was correct. I also asked for help about the domicile thing, see what they say.

Oh, and meauxna, I hadn't seen that post. Ta very much
Old Aug 26th 2007, 8:50 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Well, contrary to what I was told, I have found a website that contains the information I need.

I don't need the SSN by the looks of it, but proof of domicile will be tricky, because the proof has to be in either my name or my spouse's name, so we'll have to wait after the wedding to be sure.

I've sent an email to someone in the MS Highway Patrol who is listed as a contact for this, just explaining that I am moving, and asked him to verify if a list of documents was correct. I also asked for help about the domicile thing, see what they say.

Oh, and meauxna, I hadn't seen that post. Ta very much
Just some random junk mail in your name, at your MS address should be enough.
Watch the small print for 'valid I-94'--yours as a K-1 will only be valid for 90 days.

Post the link to the DMV and we'll have a look later.. also, State Hwy patrol won't necessarily be your best defense against DMV bureaucracy...
Old Aug 26th 2007, 8:56 pm
Twice half his height

Originally Posted by meauxna
Just some random junk mail in your name, at your MS address should be enough.
Watch the small print for 'valid I-94'--yours as a K-1 will only be valid for 90 days.

Post the link to the DMV and we'll have a look later.. also, State Hwy patrol won't necessarily be your best defense against DMV bureaucracy...
I can't find an official DMV website for MS for some reason. The only "official" page with information I could find was http://www.dps.state.ms.us/dps/dps.n...o?OpenDocument

You junk mail is enough, but how do I even get that? I wonder what it is that triggers "the system" to know that I live there... (but that's for a search and another topic).
Old Aug 26th 2007, 10:19 pm

I can't find an official DMV website for MS for some reason. The only "official" page with information I could find was http://www.dps.state.ms.us/dps/dps.n...o?OpenDocument

You junk mail is enough, but how do I even get that? I wonder what it is that triggers "the system" to know that I live there... (but that's for a search and another topic).
OK, your proof of domicile info is under 'Forms and Applications' there. Note that stuff in spouse's name is OK.

Junk mail NOT OK for your state (yes for mine).

Hmm. Looks like you might have to get a learner's permit first!

I think your best bet is to stay flexible and friendly.. they do not offer a lot of info for you and may not have a lot of policies set up for foreigners moving over. You will basically have to take what they give you, but don't be shy about asking to speak to a branch manager if you think you're getting really bad info.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 10:22 pm
Twice half his height

Originally Posted by meauxna
OK, your proof of domicile info is under 'Forms and Applications' there. Note that stuff in spouse's name is OK.

Junk mail NOT OK for your state (yes for mine).

Hmm. Looks like you might have to get a learner's permit first!

I think your best bet is to stay flexible and friendly.. they do not offer a lot of info for you and may not have a lot of policies set up for foreigners moving over. You will basically have to take what they give you, but don't be shy about asking to speak to a branch manager if you think you're getting really bad info.
It said that out of state lisences could be handed in and you wouldn't have to take the test.

Technically my British one is out of state, but it might be a bit too out of state for them!
Old Aug 27th 2007, 1:57 am

mdyoung is an unknown quantity at this point

That is their Website:

http://www.usa.gov/Topics/Motor_Vehicles.shtml
Old Aug 27th 2007, 6:43 am
Twice half his height

Originally Posted by mdyoung
Yeah.. and on that page, the link for Mississippi takes me to the page I posted above. I guess it's as good as I am going to get.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 2:48 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Proof of domicile: http://www.dps.state.ms.us/dps/dps.n...9?OpenDocument

I'd got for the "Bank Statement with Physical Address (no blank checks accepted!)". Open an account, and your bank rep can print one out on the spot (usually).

Technically my British one is out of state, but it might be a bit too out of state for them!
Out of state doesn't necessarily include foreign.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 4:28 pm

It said that out of state lisences could be handed in and you wouldn't have to take the test.

No, technically your British license is 'foreign' (and you guys drive on the wrong side )
In many states including mine, only a German or Canadian license can be swapped straight over. Everyone else has to take the written and driving test over.
Testing in the US is MUCH easier than the UK.

btw, it they are not going to let you swap your UK for MS.. don't give them your UK license. You might want it some day.