Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

drivers licence, legal status question

drivers licence, legal status question

Old Jun 13th 2010, 3:14 am
Forum Regular

Family_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: drivers licence, legal status question

Originally Posted by md95065
More precisely, you can drive in each of the states that make up the US on an out of state license (which includes a foreign license) as a visitor. The precise rules about how long you can do this and what constitutes becoming a "resident" rather than a "visitor" are different for each and every state.

True. As it is also true so far as I am aware that ALL states require you to have a VALID driving licence/learners permit before getting behind the wheel.

If you are not considered resident in that particular state then you are a visitor as far as that state is concerned, regardless of your immigration status - heck you could be a US citizen and still be a "visitor" to a particular state where you were not resident.

You are an "unlicensed" visitor if you are resident in another State which requires you to have a license and you do not hold the requisite licence. A small but somewhat important point that is not dependant upon semantics but precedent. Judges tend to get funny over those little irritants.

Saying that you are a visitor to that state is most certainly not a lie if you are not considered to be a resident of the state.

Being a visitor is fine it is being an unlicensed driver which creates the problem. I was of course referring to claiming to be an overseas visitor rather than a US citizen/PR visiting from another state. Claiming either of the later two opens a whole new can of worms.

Yes, but I think that MandyNi was mainly concerned about her temporary stay in California where, I would argue, she could reasonably claim to be an out of state visitor.
Yes she could argue that if that was the salient point. However, a cop is not really interested in her vacation status. He is however very interested in her driving licence status. Each to their own. Personally I am not so sure it is worth the risk. Let a licensed driver get behind the wheel and avoid the what ifs is my take.

Many have driven without a problem. There again many have been to the bar and drank whilst under age. Getting away with it does not mean it is risk free. The consequences can be severe.

But each to their own, I am not saying do or do not, but merely be aware of what may happen if it all goes wrong. :shrugs:
Old Jun 13th 2010, 3:35 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

OK, but in this particular case I don't see that MandyNi would have established residence either in VA during the few days that she was there enroute to her temporary 2 or 3 month stay in CA or, in CA provided that she was only there for a few months so personally, I wouldn't worry about it.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 6:01 am
BE Enthusiast

MandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah that's my dilemma, I'm only in Va for a few days before we head back to California and then only in Cali. until mid to late September when I will head back to Va to settle. I want to do what is best/legal. I'm just trying to figure out will I need to sort something out in California and if so, will they just "hand" me a license or do I need to do a test!? Maybe I'll email the DMV!
Old Jun 13th 2010, 1:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of light

I recently found out that I had misunderstood NY State's definition of Resident. I thought it meant "Green Card in hand" but it actually means residing here for more than 30 days and maintaining a residence here but not in another country. I no longer live in the UK so that makes my UK driving licence invalid in NY State. As soon as I realised my mistake I stopped driving and will shortly jump through the hoops to get my NYS driving licence.

Mandy - have a look at the DMV websites for both VA and California and check the definition of Resident for each state. Not long until you're here!
Old Jun 13th 2010, 1:14 pm
London Canada to Atlanta

country_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond repute

Will you have a valid VA licence when you arrive in CA? If so, you can go to DMV and transfer it. I "believe" you will need to take a short written and/or verbal with eye test. They will issue a licence with an expiration date the same as your visa date. After that date expires, you will have to wait for your EAD (or green card) to renew your CA licence, if you wish to be 100% legal and safe.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 3:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ja5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MandyNi
Yeah that's my dilemma, I'm only in Va for a few days before we head back to California and then only in Cali. until mid to late September when I will head back to Va to settle. I want to do what is best/legal. I'm just trying to figure out will I need to sort something out in California and if so, will they just "hand" me a license or do I need to do a test!? Maybe I'll email the DMV!
not much different to me, we spent a couple of weeks in VA then flew to Cali to get married and spent about a month there.....the dmv in VA wouldn't let me apply for a licence till i was married anyway, because they won't take anything for secondary ID that i had.....VA say you need to change it in 30 days and Cali say 10 days.....but that's if your gonna live there. if you go to another state for a couple of months on a vacation then your permanent address is still in another state so i guess you would be a visitor. so do the dmv expect me not to drive at all once my VA licence expires in a month? then wait 2 months till they will give me another one? i'm planning on driving up to NJ to a gig, so in the other states at least i should be ok on my english one.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 8:44 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MandyNi
If you want to get a DL in CA, you would need to show that you are resident there (such as a rental agreement or utility bill). If you don't have that, you probably won't be able to get a DL in CA.

Rene
Old Jun 14th 2010, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

MandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Rene, I won't have that because they will all be in M's name. I think I'll email DMV in Cali and explain that I am there temporarily until I move to Va. and see what they say. It won't hurt to ask and confirm I guess.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 9:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
If you want to get a DL in CA, you would need to show that you are resident there (such as a rental agreement or utility bill). If you don't have that, you probably won't be able to get a DL in CA.
No!!!

This myth keeps on being repeated.

What the CA law says is that once you become a CA resident you must get a CA driver's license within 10 days.

You do not need to prove residence in CA in order to get a CA driver's license (although you do need proof of lawful presence in the US and a social security number if you are eligible for one).
Old Jun 14th 2010, 10:09 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

You do not need to prove residence in CA in order to get a CA driver's license (although you do need proof of lawful presence in the US and a social security number if you are eligible for one).
Interesting. When my US PR hubby went to test for his learner's permit in CA, they required him to bring in a utility bill to prove he was resident in CA. This was back in about 2006, though.

Rene
Old Jun 14th 2010, 11:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ja5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of light

No!!!

This myth keeps on being repeated.

What the CA law says is that once you become a CA resident you must get a CA driver's license within 10 days.

i don't know about CA but here in VA you deffo need to prove that you live in the area to get a licence.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 11:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ja5on
i don't know about CA but here in VA you deffo need to prove that you live in the area to get a licence.
I didn't need to and neither did my son who just recently passed his test.
Old Jun 15th 2010, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

I arrived in CA on 30 January, my SSN didn't come until 15 February, I couldn't apply for my license without my SSN, so the 10 day rule for getting the license was impossible.
I then couldn't get an appointment at the DMV for 3 weeks, so mid March I attended the appointment no proof of residency required to apply for the license. I passed the theory and was given a temporary CA license valid until June. It then took another 4 weeks to get a test appointment, so I passed mid April.
Nobody at the DMV ever questioned me as to why I hadn't applied within 10 days (which as stated was impossible.)
Old Jun 15th 2010, 2:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by traceym
I arrived in CA on 30 January, my SSN didn't come until 15 February, I couldn't apply for my license without my SSN, so the 10 day rule for getting the license was impossible.
I then couldn't get an appointment at the DMV for 3 weeks, so mid March I attended the appointment no proof of residency required to apply for the license. I passed the theory and was given a temporary CA license valid until June. It then took another 4 weeks to get a test appointment, so I passed mid April.
Nobody at the DMV ever questioned me as to why I hadn't applied within 10 days (which as stated was impossible.)
i didn't need to ssn in va but needed to prove i lived here.....it's crazy that you had to wait so long, i just turned up at the dmv, took a ticket and waited about 20min, then they gave me my written test, 5min after that i was in the car with an instructor doing the practical part.
Old Jun 15th 2010, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ja5on
i didn't need to ssn in va but needed to prove i lived here.....it's crazy that you had to wait so long, i just turned up at the dmv, took a ticket and waited about 20min, then they gave me my written test, 5min after that i was in the car with an instructor doing the practical part.
You can just turn up, I did one day, but the wait was 3 hours, and they stop you doing the written test after a certain time, making it too late, so I went for an appointment (the thought of 3 hours in that place was more than I could stand anyway!)
But still with the wait for the driving test and also if you fail the written test you have to wait a week before you can do it again, 10 days is never going to happen

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.