Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Drive test done...

Drive test done...

Old Nov 5th 2006, 6:43 pm
Loving the Pacific NW

Location: From Kildare, Ireland to Vancouver, BC to Portland, Oregon
Boylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud of
Default Drive test done...

Howdy folks,

Well I did the Oregon drive test and passed it. It was quite easy to be honest. I did it in a small town called Sherwood as they had the shortest waiting list for my area. The weird thing was I had to drive through FOUR rounabouts! I don't think I have ever seen four roundabouts in America! Although I hear they are more popular on the East coast. The tester was more interested in asking me about Ireland and how I ended up in Oregon than checking out my drive skills!

It will be good to not have to bring my passport on nights out anymore!

So next up is car hunting as I have just dropped back my 2 month car rental. It was a Pontiac vibe and I am sad to see it go as it was a great servent to me up and down I5 to and from Seattle.

So I have a question - I plan on paying for some of the car with my own cash and the rest with finance. Now my girlfriend has offered to take the finance in her name. Wise decision? Any ideas of the difference in interest rates that I would pay with no credit history and her with good credit history. I will only be getting about a 4k loan. Who would you guys recomend for getting loan if you werent getting finance through a dealer or should I get it through the dealer. I live in Oregon which has no sales tax, my question is there sales tax on cars in all other states? Sorry bout all the questions just don't want to get ripped off by the dealers!!!

Conor.
Old Nov 5th 2006, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

GaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud of
Default Re: Drive test done...

Originally Posted by Boylerz
The weird thing was I had to drive through FOUR rounabouts!
On the topic of roundabouts: I've wondered what the appropriate way of signalling in one in the US is? My fellow drivers naturally signal very seldom in general, but I've certainly noticed that no one does it like in the UK here.
Old Nov 5th 2006, 9:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GaryK
On the topic of roundabouts: I've wondered what the appropriate way of signalling in one in the US is? My fellow drivers naturally signal very seldom in general, but I've certainly noticed that no one does it like in the UK here.
close your eyes and go seems the modus operandi here

But anyway...finance...be a co signer on it, it'll build up your credit..there's a good article in the US articles section on building up credit...

and congrats on the easy driving test
Old Nov 5th 2006, 10:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GaryK
Lol, it seems the etiquette for US roundabouts is:

1. Do not stop approaching the roundabout, just drive straight on, and make the person on it stop.

2. When exiting, be in the wrong lane entirely, so you have to swerve across at the last minute, cutting everyone up and bringing the roundabout to a stop again.

2. Never indicate, ever. If you have time to indicate, you are a poor time manager. Instead of indicating, try talking on your cell phone, eating a big mac, doing your hair or make up, or wrestling with a 42oz "turbo" coffee. Or doing a combination of all of these, just make sure to stay away from the indicators, or looking in your mirror, or paying the slightest bit of attention to other road users (well, only to flip them off)!
Old Nov 5th 2006, 10:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

So I have a question - I plan on paying for some of the car with my own cash and the rest with finance. Now my girlfriend has offered to take the finance in her name. Wise decision? Any ideas of the difference in interest rates that I would pay with no credit history and her with good credit history. I will only be getting about a 4k loan. Who would you guys recomend for getting loan if you werent getting finance through a dealer or should I get it through the dealer. I live in Oregon which has no sales tax, my question is there sales tax on cars in all other states? Sorry bout all the questions just don't want to get ripped off by the dealers!!!

Conor.
From my laymans perspective, it might pay you to get it in your own name to build your credit rating - dependent on what interest rate you can get. If you put plenty down, you could do it on your own and probably get a reasonable rate.

Re the interest rate, as always, it pays to shop around to see what you can come up with.

There is sales tax on cars in FL, it is just the regular state sales tax less trade in value. Don't know about any other states.
Old Nov 5th 2006, 11:04 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Oregon which has no sales tax, my question is there sales tax on cars in all other states? Sorry bout all the questions just don't want to get ripped off by the dealers!!!
Most states do have a sales tax, but when it comes to purchasing cars, the relevant issue will be the tax policies of the state in which you register the car, not where you buy it.

In your case, if you register the car in Oregon, you shouldn't pay any sales tax, even if you buy the car in another state that does have a sales tax. Every state has its own specific tax policies, but whatever state in which you purchase should provide you with some sort of temporary registration that will allow you to "export" the car to Oregon, where you can register the car and pay whatever fees are required by the state of Oregon. In cases such as these, no tax will be due to that other state, even if its own residents would be required to pay one.

Dealers located near state lines should be aware of these policies, and accordingly, should know how to handle your transaction.
Old Nov 7th 2006, 12:47 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Howdy folks,

Well I did the Oregon drive test and passed it. It was quite easy to be honest. .....
"QUITE" easy!" What? ..... did you drive the whole route in reverse gear?

I spent 6 minutes cruising around a grid of houses in a small town, did a three-point turn and passed. It was completely pathetic - and it is no wonder that the standard of driving in the US is so appalingly bad.