Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Drink-Driving questions

Drink-Driving questions

Old Nov 4th 2014, 5:12 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drink-Driving questions

Originally Posted by Hotscot
Think of the energy/time/pollution consequences of all those stops and starts.

Happened to me in Mammoth Lakes. It was a store car park and very dark, and old.
Went through the sign, (still in the car park, not the road). Police came up, had me get out, four of them surrounded me with hands on their holsters. .....
At the risk of sounding like a certain someone, they were completely out of order stopping you in a parking lot! There are stop signs for emerging from a Lowes parking lot locally, which I also can't fathom; why on earth is there a stop sign for emerging from private property on to the road? ...... A short distance away there is a restaurant where the main entrance/exit to the parking lot is the fourth leg of a crossroads, but the traffic lights are for a T junction, so to emerge from the parking lot you can just pull into the junction any time you feel like it. If it is good enough for the restaurant I often wonder why the lights are there for the other directions.
Old Nov 4th 2014, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Told me to recite the alphabet backward, while standing on one foot, and looking up at the night sky.
I don't know why they do these unscientific tests. Take a breathalyser with them and get a proper indication. I would struggle to do the alphabet backwards when sober and Monster'ed up.

California Beer Festivals have a DD thing. My nearest bar is 7 miles away apparently. Fortunately wife drives and (when not driving) rarely drinks anyway. Even if I have one longneck she gets the keys - it's just not worth it. Having several beers and "feeling alright" is just ridiculous.
Old Nov 4th 2014, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
There are stop signs for emerging from a Lowes parking lot locally, which I also can't fathom; why on earth is there a stop sign for emerging from private property on to the road?
I would imagine that the six feet in front of the stop sign is a public highway (or whatever it's called) so you can be "done".
Old Nov 4th 2014, 5:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

There is no logical explanation why Give Way (Yield) signs out number Stop signs by more than 10:1, probably even 20:1 in the UK, when the exact opposite is true in the US.
Yes there is. It's because at a Give Way sign in the UK, people give way. Yield signs in the US seem to mean sweet FA to people.
Old Nov 4th 2014, 5:23 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
I would imagine that the six feet in front of the stop sign is a public highway (or whatever it's called) so you can be "done". .....
Most Stop signs/lines in these parts are about 15-20ft back from the edge of the road you are entering, such that if you actually stop at the sign/line you are too far back to see if it is safe to emerge!
Old Nov 4th 2014, 5:43 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Says it all doesn't it? The attitude towards DD is completely blaize. Why are these people not in prison??
A mate of mine up in Maine got his DUI for being in control of his car....he'd gotten a blanket out of the boot and was taking a kip in his car when the cop knocked on the window and he got done as he was in the drivers seat...this was about 3 in the morning. Amusing thing is, he only lived a mile up the road and could have walked home but he drove to the bar from work for a works do.

He did one of those classes to reduce the penalty to a one month loss of license and during the class one person quit the class because they were to drunk to say their own name in the roll call and opted to take the full hit and another person was doing the class for the 10th time
Old Nov 4th 2014, 5:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Told me to recite the alphabet backward, while standing on one foot, and looking up at the night sky.
I'd not be able to do that sober....then again, I've a wrecked tendon and ligament in both ankles so can't stand still on either without looking like a drunken elephant and the alphabet backwards is a chore.

It's all daft though, it's why they have a breathtest so why they don't just use the thing :/
Old Nov 4th 2014, 5:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Most Stop signs/lines in these parts are about 15-20ft back from the edge of the road you are entering, such that if you actually stop at the sign/line you are too far back to see if it is safe to emerge!
Around here, you're meant to stop at the sign, the line and then at the junction if they don't all line up...it's how they get you, with so many opportunities to not stop. Quite ridiculous.
Old Nov 4th 2014, 5:55 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
I don't know why they do these unscientific tests. Take a breathalyser with them and get a proper indication. I would struggle to do the alphabet backwards when sober and Monster'ed up.
It's a 4th Amendment issue as I understand it. Cops need probable cause to breathalyse you. They don't have it until you fail their silly sobriety tests.

Personally, I would refuse those stupid tests. I am an intelligent human being, I will not be treated like a performing animal. If you suspect me of being DD, you are free to breathalyse me.
Old Nov 4th 2014, 5:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
A mate of mine up in Maine got his DUI for being in control of his car....he'd gotten a blanket out of the boot and was taking a kip in his car when the cop knocked on the window and he got done as he was in the drivers seat...this was about 3 in the morning. Amusing thing is, he only lived a mile up the road and could have walked home but he drove to the bar from work for a works do.

He did one of those classes to reduce the penalty to a one month loss of license and during the class one person quit the class because they were to drunk to say their own name in the roll call and opted to take the full hit and another person was doing the class for the 10th time
So is taking a kip in the backseat kosher? I've done that once too but it was years ago and in the UK.
Old Nov 4th 2014, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
I'd not be able to do that sober....then again, I've a wrecked tendon and ligament in both ankles so can't stand still on either without looking like a drunken elephant and the alphabet backwards is a chore.

It's all daft though, it's why they have a breathtest so why they don't just use the thing :/
I think they're prohibited from using the brethalyzer without "probable cause", hence the field sobriety tests. ..... I couldn't recite the alphabet backwards if my life depended on it.
Old Nov 4th 2014, 5:59 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Danvers
So is taking a kip in the backseat kosher? I've done that once too but it was years ago and in the UK.
You can be prosecuted for the same offence in England & Wales remember.
Old Nov 4th 2014, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by Mrs Danvers
Same in the UK. Do not let the police find you drunk while sitting in the driving seat. It will not end well.
Old Nov 4th 2014, 6:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

I think they're prohibited from using the brethalyzer without "probable cause", hence the field sobriety tests. ..... I couldn't recite the alphabet backwards if my life depended on it.
But they need probably cause to pull you over in the first place, so it's all a bit moot.

If you failed to stop/speed/cross a line, they've got cause to pull you over, so they ought to be able to test you.

All very daft.

Then again, some states can't have cops parked with their lights off for speed/drunk traps as it's considered entrapment. Daft again.
Old Nov 4th 2014, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yeah, plenty around here like that - including one on the driving test route. Luckily I'd brushed up on such situations before the test, and primed her indoors on the same (and the route).

It's a 4th Amendment issue as I understand it. Cops need probable cause to breathalyse you. They don't have it until you fail their silly sobriety tests.
Ah ok. So instead of doing a physically invasive breathalyser test they are allowed to do a mentally invasive test instead. Yeah, makes complete sense.

Personally, I would refuse those stupid tests. I am an intelligent human being, I will not be treated like a performing animal. If you suspect me of being DD, you are free to breathalyse me.
Entirely agree.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.