Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Drink Driving

Drink Driving

Old Nov 22nd 2006, 3:45 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute
Default Drink Driving

Listening on the radio this morning they were talking about making sure that if you drink over the holidays make sure you have a designated driver so that you don't get caught drunk driving. They then proceeded to tell you where the police will be setting up "random" traffic stops for drink drivers :scared:

WTF? You shouldn't drink drive because its stupid and dangerous, not because you fear getting some points on your license
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 3:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drink Driving

Originally Posted by dan_alford
Listening on the radio this morning they were talking about making sure that if you drink over the holidays make sure you have a designated driver so that you don't get caught drunk driving. They then proceeded to tell you where the police will be setting up "random" traffic stops for drink drivers :scared:

WTF? You shouldn't drink drive because its stupid and dangerous, not because you fear getting some points on your license
We got similar in the UK this Xmas.full list of where the mobile speed camera's will be and on what dates ??. What are they teaching nowadays !!
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 4:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

jen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond repute

Same here. The information seems to be 'don't drink and drive anywhere near these checkpoints'.

The rules have been tightened here, as far as penalty for being 'caught', but that's had seemingly no influence at all. I'm amazed at the number of people who get behind the wheel after a night of drinking. Frightening.
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 4:44 pm
long live thefinest range

Location: Higham Ferrers, Northants to Spokane Washington and back again!!
Hayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond repute

LOL another example of the American love of the automobile, most folks if they got caught drink driving would not feel remorse that they could have hurt someone per se but more pissed off that they might not be able to get around. I remember all the ads for drink driving in england (does anyone remember that one with mungo jerry's in the summertime "have a drink have a drive" and then this mangled wreck? or that one where the poor sod is eating mashed up chrimbo dinner? )

Always makes me laugh when you see a random bar out in the boonies (and you just know that there's no way to get there but by car) me thinks there will not be designated drivers for each car in the lot.
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 4:52 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

I heard on the 'Today' show this morning that only 40% of people wear a seatbelt in the backseat.
I said to my oh they should show that ad from back in Blighty. The one where the family is driving along hits a car/tree and the son in the back flys forward and kills his mum with a headbutt. That would make people wear them.
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 5:13 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
I heard on the 'Today' show this morning that only 40% of people wear a seatbelt in the backseat.
I said to my oh they should show that ad from back in Blighty. The one where the family is driving along hits a car/tree and the son in the back flys forward and kills his mum with a headbutt. That would make people wear them.
They definitely should show that! Oh, but it would come with a parental warning first, I'm sure. UK driving habits have been picked up by my MIL and she now, thanks to my influence wears a seatbelt in the back *and* the front! She used to never bother in the front, either, even when driving. Unbelievable!