Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Draining the pool - chemical balance?

Draining the pool - chemical balance?

Old Jun 29th 2006, 9:23 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Draining the pool - chemical balance?

Originally Posted by Ray
Don't use household bleach .. the contents vary considerably ..
Or Gasoline.
Can you tell I haven't got a pool?
Old Jun 29th 2006, 11:06 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Or Gasoline.
Can you tell I haven't got a pool?
Bit I do recommend to raise the Ph a drop of 20 Mule Team Borax
Old Jun 29th 2006, 11:20 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Bit I do recommend to raise the Ph a drop of 20 Mule Team Borax
Okay, I had the water tested at the pool store:

Total dissolved solids = 2.1 (apparently this is high - should be 0.19 max?)

pH = 7.4

Chlorine = 3 (not surprising since the pool guy was here 2 days ago)

CYA = 90-100 (apparently should be 25-50?)

The guy at the store thinks we should drain of about a third of the water. He thinks this is normal after 6-7 years.

Any comments gratefully received!
Old Jun 29th 2006, 11:29 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Okay, I had the water tested at the pool store:

pH = 7.4

Chlorine = 3 (not surprising since the pool guy was here 2 days ago)

CYA = 90-100 (apparently should be 25-50?)

The guy at the store thinks we should drain of about a third of the water. He thinks this is normal after 6-7 years.

Any comments gratefully received!
Yup seems reasonable ..I said 30% ..thy say 33% go for a start with that .....
that will lower the Cyanuric acid level.

Last edited by Ray; Jun 29th 2006 at 11:33 pm.
Old Jun 29th 2006, 11:31 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Explain Solids?
Old Jun 29th 2006, 11:35 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Explain Solids?

Now go and play in the sandpit, Andy Dear, or you'll be # 70.

(Ask Liz for full details if you find this statement mystifying )
Old Jun 29th 2006, 11:35 pm
Ray

Explain Solids?
Total dissolved solids is the measure of the total amount of dissolved matter in the water, e.g. calcium, magnesium, chlorides, sulfates, rubber ducks, etc
plus the odd turd ....
Old Jun 29th 2006, 11:36 pm
Homebody

Originally Posted by Ray
Yup seems reasonable ..I said 30% ..thy say 33% go for a start with that .....
that will lower the Cyanuric acid level.

Now tell me: do we have to go through the full hiring a pump and finding a place to drain the water to business?

Or can we just run a hosepipe into the pool and let the automatic overflow-protection whatsit take care of it?
Old Jun 29th 2006, 11:37 pm

Now go and play in the sandpit, Andy Dear, or you'll be # 70.

(Ask Liz for full details if you find this statement mystifying )
I find Liz Mystifiying, is she solid? And what is #70, a page from the Dominatrix take away menu?
Old Jun 29th 2006, 11:38 pm
Homebody

I find Liz Mystifiying, is she solid? And what is #70, a page from the Dominatrix take away menu?

You are playing with fire!!
Old Jun 29th 2006, 11:44 pm

You are playing with fire!!
Good job you didn't put Gasoline in your pool then.
Old Jun 29th 2006, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
plus the odd turd ....
Float, Float on.......
Old Jun 30th 2006, 12:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

My poolman tells me that we may need to drain the pool because he is having great difficulty maintaining the chemical balance of the water. Apparently the chlorine is neutralised very quickly and he keeps having to shock the pool really hard. (Whatever that means...)

The pool is only 5 years old. Is it normal to have to replace the water so soon?

Does anyone have any other hints/tips/information? I am completely clueless when it comes to pools and their maintenance...

Thanks!

Is he goodlooking?
Old Jun 30th 2006, 1:27 am
Homebody

Originally Posted by willmore
Is he goodlooking?

I wish... Then I could at least justify keeping him on...
Old Jun 30th 2006, 2:35 am
Ray

Now tell me: do we have to go through the full hiring a pump and finding a place to drain the water to business?

Or can we just run a hosepipe into the pool and let the automatic overflow-protection whatsit take care of it?
Anyhow you can but turn the pump etc off ... during the draining and refilling
if you on a slope you can even syphon it out ..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.