Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Don't blame me, it's not my fault!

Don't blame me, it's not my fault!

Old Oct 7th 2006, 11:16 pm
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don't blame me, it's not my fault!

Originally Posted by Paul S
Can't understand why this guy is the sucess that he is.

Like most of these TV 'therapists' I personally think he's a tw@t

Anyone else find something strangely ironic in the fact that there's a bald,ugly, fat guy on the telly over here giving people advice on looking good, and getting thin?
Old Oct 7th 2006, 11:20 pm
No income tax no V.A.T.

Rodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Paul S]Can't understand why this guy is the sucess that he is. /QUOTE]

What does that say about the audience
Old Oct 8th 2006, 8:20 pm
Just Joined

JP24 is an unknown quantity at this point

You guys need to remember that before Doctor Phil was the leading "learn to love yourself" advisor, the US public were relying on Jerry Springer's last words at the end of his show to give them advice. God BBBBBBLess America
Old Oct 9th 2006, 5:22 pm

atempest is a name known to allatempest is a name known to allatempest is a name known to allatempest is a name known to allatempest is a name known to allatempest is a name known to allatempest is a name known to allatempest is a name known to allatempest is a name known to allatempest is a name known to allatempest is a name known to all
Lightbulb Re: Don't blame me, it's not my fault!

It is a very american thing...not being able to deal appropriately with an issue.

An example of this is Autumn/Fall

All the leaves fall from the trees and make a mess.

Now, in the UK we have garden vacuums to pick up the leaves or rake them up and dispose of them. That GETS RID of the problem.

Here in Colorado they have leave blowers which MOVES the problem by just blowing them away.
Old Oct 9th 2006, 9:01 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by atempest
It is a very american thing...not being able to deal appropriately with an issue.

An example of this is Autumn/Fall

All the leaves fall from the trees and make a mess.

Now, in the UK we have garden vacuums to pick up the leaves or rake them up and dispose of them. That GETS RID of the problem.

Here in Colorado they have leave blowers which MOVES the problem by just blowing them away.
I used to think that way. I used to get angry with Americans who came over and criticised things British, without looking to see if they were part of a system that made sense. Now, I get fed up with British who come here and do the same thing. On my last trip to the UK, my first thought, when I saw a wheely bin was that people would injure their backs, lifting them to tip into the truck. I did ask though, and found it was part of a system that made sense.

You say your garden vacuums pick them up or you rake them up to dispose of them. Tell me what is the different effect of raking versus blowing, and how you dispose of them. My township has big trucksize vacuums so we need to have the leaves loose along the sidewalk, where they pick them up and take them to a composting area, and then they put them out for the people to take once they are composted. It is a system that makes sense.
Old Oct 10th 2006, 12:07 am
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

I think the "not my fault" syndrome was created by lawyers looking for a loophole to get their client a more favourable legal outcome. Then the rest of America thought that was cool and decided we should all blame great grams/gramps/folks/aunty/uncle/cous/siblings/dogs/cats/ the postman for all our uncontrollable urges. I personally blame my behaviour on my celtic background. Drives me to ... you understand, and that urge developed before I was even conceived!

Hey don't knock the leaf blowers, I have one of those jobbies that blasts the leaves into a corner and then put on the vacuum to suck and crunch 'em all up. Makes great mulch. Best part of the blower is aiming it at the neighbour's dog's backside when they try come into my garden to crap. Nothing like a draft up the bum to entice them to waddle back home and leave their pile there.
Old Oct 10th 2006, 1:20 pm
Northern git

Wiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to all

I have to say that the censorship on TV over here is just too much. Like people have said, blow people to smitherines, that's just fine and dandy, but heavean forbid showing a tit, never mind a nipple. I find it so hipercritical that it's funny. I used to occassionally watch Howard Stern show that was on at either 10pm or 11pm, I can't remember, but whenever some got her tits out they would but that nice blocky vision over the tits !!! I mean come on, it's 10pm or later.

Yes, everyone wants to blame everyone else over here and no one seems to be able to own up to their own mistakes or take responsibility for their own actions. How many obese kids do you see ? Bloody tons and tons I've seen some of the parents of these obese kids too, they are massive also and they give their kids whatever they want to eat, which mainly constitutes of fast food crap !

Was watching Wire in the blood last Monday and I was surprised that the word tw@t was not bleeped out But then again, perhaps they just don't know what that word means !
Old Oct 10th 2006, 3:23 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wiganer
I mean come on, it's 10pm or later.
which would be 7pm in California........
Old Oct 10th 2006, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

Jenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of light

Obviously none of you have been to Britain recently where the same blame culture has taken over. It's either the government or asylum seekers/immigrants (both terms mean the same thing in Britain these days).
Old Oct 10th 2006, 5:07 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wiganer
I have to say that the censorship on TV over here is just too much. Like people have said, blow people to smitherines, that's just fine and dandy, but heavean forbid showing a tit, never mind a nipple. I find it so hipercritical that it's funny. I used to occassionally watch Howard Stern show that was on at either 10pm or 11pm, I can't remember, but whenever some got her tits out they would but that nice blocky vision over the tits !!! I mean come on, it's 10pm or later.

Was watching Wire in the blood last Monday and I was surprised that the word tw@t was not bleeped out But then again, perhaps they just don't know what that word means !
Evil man, ye' got sex on the brain and ye' know it's a sin right?!?!?! I am fully against males using female body parts to express contempt for the general public. I would prefer keeping it derogatory to the male gender, like son of a bastard, d***head and the like. So much more appropriate for the angry male.
Old Oct 10th 2006, 7:33 pm
Northern git

Wiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Manc
which would be 7pm in California........
I think you'll find that programmes like HS would not be shown at 7pm in CA, they would delay the western side to also come on at 10pm local time.
Old Oct 10th 2006, 7:33 pm
Northern git

Originally Posted by Tegwyn
Evil man, ye' got sex on the brain and ye' know it's a sin right?!?!?!
I was right with you up to the word brain, then you lost me
Old Oct 12th 2006, 3:32 am
sun lover

sambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond repute

What is it with people in this country? are they really not capable of deciding for themselves? or taking the effort to control what their kid watches? and when someone goes loopy can it be they are mentally disturbed instead of it being the fault of what is shown on TV.

Valid point:

What I don't like, is when you sit down to watch a film or tv program that is suitable for your kids, but have to have the remote handy to quickly turn over during a commercial because they are showing an inappropriate trailer where someone is getting attacked, shot and their heads blown off.

I do believe their ought to be a watershed time when these trailers can be shown.
Old Oct 12th 2006, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sambuc
What is it with people in this country? are they really not capable of deciding for themselves? or taking the effort to control what their kid watches? and when someone goes loopy can it be they are mentally disturbed instead of it being the fault of what is shown on TV.

Valid point:

What I don't like, is when you sit down to watch a film or tv program that is suitable for your kids, but have to have the remote handy to quickly turn over during a commercial because they are showing an inappropriate trailer where someone is getting attacked, shot and their heads blown off.

I do believe their ought to be a watershed time when these trailers can be shown.
It is laughable Emily mainly watches playhouse disney, it only has one advert and what do they adversite? Mc Donalds!

Ash
Old Oct 12th 2006, 11:23 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
Please, please, please someone tell me I am not the only one who thinks people in this country need to start being responsible for their actions and stop looking for someone else to deal things they should be doing themselves.

A while back I pissed off a tele-marketer who wanted to mail me some paper work and have me sign it as part of a petion to lobby the goverment and the big wigs in Hollywood to better regulate the sex and violence shown in movies and on TV. When I told him no he said very nastly 'well do you have children'. I told him yes and that it was my job as a parent to regulate what my children watch not someone sitting at a desk in washington and that I as a capable adult could decide what was fit for me to watch. He hung up on me.

Anyhow Wed night I worked late and didn't get to bed till 3am, next morning who should wake me up but the Johovahs Witinesses [sp?] knocking at the door so to get rid of them so I could go back to bed I take their leaflets. Yesterday I was flicking through them reading about the perils and evil of TV and how sex & violence dominate and cause people to go postal etc etc etc (ok not in those words but you get the drift).

Same goes for people who smoke and got cancer or got fat from Mc D's... maybe just maybe it was their fault?

OK stepping down from my soap box now, rant over.

Ash

Oh, one last thing- just for the record I think TV is WAY over censored.
What I find strange about the telly is that Evil Dead II, Poltergeist, The Omen III, and Nigthmare on Elm Street are all on at 2pm then whatever cop show/hospital show is on prime time usually has some woman or young girl being slaughtered/raped/beaten and then Survivor isn't shown until 9pm in case there is any butt crack or stray nipple on show. Just weird, skewed priorities.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.