British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Domestic violence is a "pre-existing condition"? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/domestic-violence-pre-existing-condition-631291/)

Bob Sep 17th 2009 4:59 pm

Domestic violence is a "pre-existing condition"?

Insurance companies have used the excuse of "pre-existing conditions" to deny coverage to countless Americans. From cancer patients to the elderly suffering from arthritis, these organizations have padded their profit margins by limiting coverage to patients deemed "high risk" because of their medical condition.

But, in DC and eight other states, including Idaho, Mississippi, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Carolina, South Dakota, and Wyoming, insurance companies have gone too far, claiming that "domestic violence victim" is also a pre-existing condition. ...
http://www.seiu.org/2009/09/domestic...-condition.php

Anyone else think that the insurance industry wasn't broken before should really think again.

So anyway, anyone had anything not covered by insurance?

Englishtart Sep 17th 2009 5:50 pm

Re: Domestic violence is a "pre-existing condition"?

Whoa! that just seems so crooked to me! Fortunately no refusals with insurance for us so far, but I count us as among the (few) lucky ones with our plan.:fingerscrossed:

Mummy in the foothills Sep 17th 2009 6:03 pm

Crazy. We were discussing this on another board I frequent.
I believe breathing is a pre existing condition and so none of us are safe from being let go from whatever health insurance we have.
Yet people still say reform isn't needed :confused:

chartreuse Sep 17th 2009 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 7940007)
Yet people still say reform isn't needed :confused:

I'm confused by that statement. I don't know anybody who doesn't think that the current system is broken. But there's room for debate on what parts need to be fixed and how.

fatbrit Sep 17th 2009 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by chartreuse (Post 7941014)
I'm confused by that statement. I don't know anybody who doesn't think that the current system is broken. But there's room for debate on what parts need to be fixed and how.

But the debate consists of: We have the best health care in the world and we don't want Obama Nazi Communist Care. So there's really nowhere to go with the debaters, is there?

Mummy in the foothills Sep 18th 2009 12:57 am

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 7941047)
But the debate consists of: We have the best health care in the world and we don't want Obama Nazi Communist Care. So there's really nowhere to go with the debaters, is there?

That sounds like the people I've talked to. :lol: Just cause they have a decent insurance for the moment, they don't want anything to change.
chartreuse, you must be living in a pretty cool place surrounded by like minded people, or in a little UK stronghold, you lucky beggar.

chartreuse Sep 18th 2009 3:08 am

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 7941047)

**** off, you annoying little trot.

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 7941216)
That sounds like the people I've talked to. :lol: Just cause they have a decent insurance for the moment, they don't want anything to change.
chartreuse, you must be living in a pretty cool place surrounded by like minded people, or in a little UK stronghold, you lucky beggar.

No, I'm unemployed with minimal coverage through the wife's work. But I see that you & FB just want to turn this into another hard left rant, so I won't bother to say anymore. :(

fatbrit Sep 18th 2009 3:34 am

Originally Posted by chartreuse (Post 7941426)

No, I'm unemployed with minimal coverage through the wife's work. But I see that you & FB just want to turn this into another hard left rant, so I won't bother to say anymore. :(

And there we have the sum of the debate from the libertarian right!

dbj1000 Sep 18th 2009 4:13 am

Originally Posted by chartreuse (Post 7941426)

WTF? That's a pathetic post Chartreuse. Mummy in the foothills was perfectly reasonable with her post, and you come back with that? Hard left? Trot? Because people don't agree with you? Grow up!

Jaxbar Sep 18th 2009 4:23 am

Originally Posted by dbj1000 (Post 7941519)
WTF? That's a pathetic post Chartreuse. Mummy in the foothills was perfectly reasonable with her post, and you come back with that? Hard left? Trot? Because people don't agree with you? Grow up!

Lets face it, the people at the tea parties along with chartreuse have no argument, its all i'm alright jack and screw the rest, if they had an ounce of sense they would realize they are fighting for their own system -old white men on medicaid/tricare who dont want anyone else to have the same privilege.

chartreuse Sep 18th 2009 4:57 am

Originally Posted by dbj1000 (Post 7941519)

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and take it that you didn't read my post properly.

The first part was directly addressed to fatbrit. I've been called racist and all sorts by him lately, and I'm a bit fed up with it.

It was fatbrit that I called a trot, not mummy in the foothills. I've watched people like him wreck two union branches in the UK, to the point where they do noting for the workers but spend all the subs campaigning for Cuba and I'm not that keen on it.

You have clearly decided to portray that part of my post as being addressed to mummy in the foothills - it wasn't. You say "Because people don't agree with you?" - I hadn't advanced an argument for anybody to agree with! All I said was that there is room for debate on what the solution might be. For that, fatbrit called me a Nazi.

But, how would you like being unemployed, paying silly money for crappy coverage and being told you're obviously some kind of rich fat cat because you haven't drunk whatever kool aid is being pushed. You wouldn't, I'd guess.

Oh, and along comes Bradford Lass to tell us that "I'm all right Jack". I thought I'd made it clear - I'm not all right. I do think the system needs fixing. I just don't think the "fix" on offer will work.

Christ, it's not even clear who's a fellow traveller and who's a sock puppet at this point.:rolleyes:

fatbrit Sep 18th 2009 5:59 am

Originally Posted by chartreuse (Post 7941589)
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and take it that you didn't read my post properly.

The first part was directly addressed to fatbrit. I've been called racist and all sorts by him lately, and I'm a bit fed up with it.

It was fatbrit that I called a trot, not mummy in the foothills. I've watched people like him wreck two union branches in the UK, to the point where they do noting for the workers but spend all the subs campaigning for Cuba and I'm not that keen on it.

You have clearly decided to portray that part of my post as being addressed to mummy in the foothills - it wasn't. You say "Because people don't agree with you?" - I hadn't advanced an argument for anybody to agree with! All I said was that there is room for debate on what the solution might be. For that, fatbrit called me a Nazi.

But, how would you like being unemployed, paying silly money for crappy coverage and being told you're obviously some kind of rich fat cat because you haven't drunk whatever kool aid is being pushed. You wouldn't, I'd guess.

Oh, and along comes Bradford Lass to tell us that "I'm all right Jack". I thought I'd made it clear - I'm not all right. I do think the system needs fixing. I just don't think the "fix" on offer will work.

Christ, it's not even clear who's a fellow traveller and who's a sock puppet at this point.:rolleyes:

You're making stuff up again. ;)
And still failing to give alternatives to the health care plan BTW.

HoosierDaddy Sep 18th 2009 10:21 am

Originally Posted by chartreuse (Post 7941589)
For that, fatbrit called me a Nazi.

No he didn't.

being told you're obviously some kind of rich fat cat because you haven't drunk whatever kool aid is being pushed.
I neither care for that particular beverage nor the context in which people use it. Just wondering why that was your choice of words? Reference to Jim Jones cult or the fact that the President is black?

Duncan Roberts Sep 18th 2009 12:33 pm

First let me say that I don't like the whole pre-existing condition deal in general but the domestic violence one is more not cool. However, I have to defend the insurance companies a little.

Of everything I've heard spoken the last few days on the subject I haven't heard anything that is accurate or not misleading. Yes, it is classed as a pre-existing condition in certain states but that doesn't mean that it's a license to refuse claims. Pre-existing conditions and where they can be applied are very tightly defined and realistically there are likely only very exceptional circumstances where this particular one would be an issue. It would only apply a) when you are switching insurance plans, b) if you are either switching to a non qualifying plan or have no creditable coverage c) if the domestic violence occurred within the last 6 months and d) if you received medical care, advice or treatment for it. I've heard claims that if you suffered domestic violence 10 years ago and then suffered it again today your insurance could turn round and deny the claim which is complete nonsense.

Not that it makes it OK but realistically this will only apply to people who have no insurance, suffer domestic violence on a regular basis, get medical treatment because of it and then get a job that carries insurance. Even then it will be covered within 12 months and depending on the plan it may be covered from day one.

chartreuse Sep 18th 2009 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy (Post 7942160)
I neither care for that particular beverage nor the context in which people use it. Just wondering why that was your choice of words? Reference to Jim Jones cult or the fact that the President is black?

Oh good grief! Another racism slur. How pathetic.

Well there's other threads and, if necessary, other things to do. It's only a poxy web forum and I've got better things to do than piss about with orchestrated attacks. :frown: