Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Domestic violence is a "pre-existing condition"?

Domestic violence is a "pre-existing condition"?

Old Sep 17th 2009, 4:59 pm
  #1  
Bob
SUPER MODERATOR
Thread Starter
 
Bob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: MA, USA
Posts: 91,487
Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Domestic violence is a "pre-existing condition"?

Insurance companies have used the excuse of "pre-existing conditions" to deny coverage to countless Americans. From cancer patients to the elderly suffering from arthritis, these organizations have padded their profit margins by limiting coverage to patients deemed "high risk" because of their medical condition.

But, in DC and eight other states, including Idaho, Mississippi, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Carolina, South Dakota, and Wyoming, insurance companies have gone too far, claiming that "domestic violence victim" is also a pre-existing condition. ...
http://www.seiu.org/2009/09/domestic...-condition.php

Anyone else think that the insurance industry wasn't broken before should really think again.

So anyway, anyone had anything not covered by insurance?
Bob is offline  
Old Sep 17th 2009, 5:50 pm
  #2  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Englishtart's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: North Charleston,SC. born in Stockport,UK.
Posts: 10,109
Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Domestic violence is a "pre-existing condition"?

Whoa! that just seems so crooked to me! Fortunately no refusals with insurance for us so far, but I count us as among the (few) lucky ones with our plan.
Englishtart is offline  
Old Sep 17th 2009, 6:03 pm
  #3  
The Kwisatz Haderach
 
Mummy in the foothills's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: North Wales
Posts: 8,062
Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Domestic violence is a "pre-existing condition"?

Crazy. We were discussing this on another board I frequent.
I believe breathing is a pre existing condition and so none of us are safe from being let go from whatever health insurance we have.
Yet people still say reform isn't needed
Mummy in the foothills is offline  
Old Sep 17th 2009, 11:44 pm
  #4  
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,605
chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Domestic violence is a "pre-existing condition"?

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills View Post
Yet people still say reform isn't needed
I'm confused by that statement. I don't know anybody who doesn't think that the current system is broken. But there's room for debate on what parts need to be fixed and how.
chartreuse is offline  
Old Sep 17th 2009, 11:52 pm
  #5  
Septicity
 
fatbrit's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 23,762
fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Domestic violence is a "pre-existing condition"?

Originally Posted by chartreuse View Post
I'm confused by that statement. I don't know anybody who doesn't think that the current system is broken. But there's room for debate on what parts need to be fixed and how.
But the debate consists of: We have the best health care in the world and we don't want Obama Nazi Communist Care. So there's really nowhere to go with the debaters, is there?
fatbrit is offline  
Old Sep 18th 2009, 12:57 am
  #6  
The Kwisatz Haderach
 
Mummy in the foothills's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: North Wales
Posts: 8,062
Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Domestic violence is a "pre-existing condition"?

Originally Posted by fatbrit View Post
But the debate consists of: We have the best health care in the world and we don't want Obama Nazi Communist Care. So there's really nowhere to go with the debaters, is there?
That sounds like the people I've talked to. Just cause they have a decent insurance for the moment, they don't want anything to change.
chartreuse, you must be living in a pretty cool place surrounded by like minded people, or in a little UK stronghold, you lucky beggar.
Mummy in the foothills is offline  
Old Sep 18th 2009, 3:08 am
  #7  
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,605
chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Domestic violence is a "pre-existing condition"?

Originally Posted by fatbrit View Post
But the debate consists of: We have the best health care in the world and we don't want Obama Nazi Communist Care. So there's really nowhere to go with the debaters, is there?
**** off, you annoying little trot.

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills View Post
That sounds like the people I've talked to. Just cause they have a decent insurance for the moment, they don't want anything to change.
chartreuse, you must be living in a pretty cool place surrounded by like minded people, or in a little UK stronghold, you lucky beggar.
No, I'm unemployed with minimal coverage through the wife's work. But I see that you & FB just want to turn this into another hard left rant, so I won't bother to say anymore.
chartreuse is offline  
Old Sep 18th 2009, 3:34 am
  #8  
Septicity
 
fatbrit's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 23,762
fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Domestic violence is a "pre-existing condition"?

Originally Posted by chartreuse View Post
**** off, you annoying little trot.



No, I'm unemployed with minimal coverage through the wife's work. But I see that you & FB just want to turn this into another hard left rant, so I won't bother to say anymore.
And there we have the sum of the debate from the libertarian right!
fatbrit is offline  
Old Sep 18th 2009, 4:13 am
  #9  
Arrogant ****
 
dbj1000's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 4,323
dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Domestic violence is a "pre-existing condition"?

Originally Posted by chartreuse View Post
**** off, you annoying little trot.



No, I'm unemployed with minimal coverage through the wife's work. But I see that you & FB just want to turn this into another hard left rant, so I won't bother to say anymore.
WTF? That's a pathetic post Chartreuse. Mummy in the foothills was perfectly reasonable with her post, and you come back with that? Hard left? Trot? Because people don't agree with you? Grow up!
dbj1000 is offline  
Old Sep 18th 2009, 4:23 am
  #10  
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,542
Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Domestic violence is a "pre-existing condition"?

Originally Posted by dbj1000 View Post
WTF? That's a pathetic post Chartreuse. Mummy in the foothills was perfectly reasonable with her post, and you come back with that? Hard left? Trot? Because people don't agree with you? Grow up!
Lets face it, the people at the tea parties along with chartreuse have no argument, its all i'm alright jack and screw the rest, if they had an ounce of sense they would realize they are fighting for their own system -old white men on medicaid/tricare who dont want anyone else to have the same privilege.
Jaxbar is offline  
Old Sep 18th 2009, 4:57 am
  #11  
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,605
chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Domestic violence is a "pre-existing condition"?

Originally Posted by dbj1000 View Post
WTF? That's a pathetic post Chartreuse. Mummy in the foothills was perfectly reasonable with her post, and you come back with that? Hard left? Trot? Because people don't agree with you? Grow up!
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and take it that you didn't read my post properly.

The first part was directly addressed to fatbrit. I've been called racist and all sorts by him lately, and I'm a bit fed up with it.

It was fatbrit that I called a trot, not mummy in the foothills. I've watched people like him wreck two union branches in the UK, to the point where they do noting for the workers but spend all the subs campaigning for Cuba and I'm not that keen on it.

You have clearly decided to portray that part of my post as being addressed to mummy in the foothills - it wasn't. You say "Because people don't agree with you?" - I hadn't advanced an argument for anybody to agree with! All I said was that there is room for debate on what the solution might be. For that, fatbrit called me a Nazi.

But, how would you like being unemployed, paying silly money for crappy coverage and being told you're obviously some kind of rich fat cat because you haven't drunk whatever kool aid is being pushed. You wouldn't, I'd guess.

Oh, and along comes Bradford Lass to tell us that "I'm all right Jack". I thought I'd made it clear - I'm not all right. I do think the system needs fixing. I just don't think the "fix" on offer will work.

Christ, it's not even clear who's a fellow traveller and who's a sock puppet at this point.
chartreuse is offline  
Old Sep 18th 2009, 5:59 am
  #12  
Septicity
 
fatbrit's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 23,762
fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Domestic violence is a "pre-existing condition"?

Originally Posted by chartreuse View Post
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and take it that you didn't read my post properly.

The first part was directly addressed to fatbrit. I've been called racist and all sorts by him lately, and I'm a bit fed up with it.

It was fatbrit that I called a trot, not mummy in the foothills. I've watched people like him wreck two union branches in the UK, to the point where they do noting for the workers but spend all the subs campaigning for Cuba and I'm not that keen on it.

You have clearly decided to portray that part of my post as being addressed to mummy in the foothills - it wasn't. You say "Because people don't agree with you?" - I hadn't advanced an argument for anybody to agree with! All I said was that there is room for debate on what the solution might be. For that, fatbrit called me a Nazi.

But, how would you like being unemployed, paying silly money for crappy coverage and being told you're obviously some kind of rich fat cat because you haven't drunk whatever kool aid is being pushed. You wouldn't, I'd guess.

Oh, and along comes Bradford Lass to tell us that "I'm all right Jack". I thought I'd made it clear - I'm not all right. I do think the system needs fixing. I just don't think the "fix" on offer will work.

Christ, it's not even clear who's a fellow traveller and who's a sock puppet at this point.
You're making stuff up again.
And still failing to give alternatives to the health care plan BTW.
fatbrit is offline  
Old Sep 18th 2009, 10:21 am
  #13  
Gotta have more cowbell
 
HoosierDaddy's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Hoosier State
Posts: 1,176
HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Domestic violence is a "pre-existing condition"?

Originally Posted by chartreuse View Post
For that, fatbrit called me a Nazi.
No he didn't.

being told you're obviously some kind of rich fat cat because you haven't drunk whatever kool aid is being pushed.
I neither care for that particular beverage nor the context in which people use it. Just wondering why that was your choice of words? Reference to Jim Jones cult or the fact that the President is black?
HoosierDaddy is offline  
Old Sep 18th 2009, 12:33 pm
  #14  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Duncan Roberts's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Avon Lake, OH
Posts: 5,267
Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Domestic violence is a "pre-existing condition"?

First let me say that I don't like the whole pre-existing condition deal in general but the domestic violence one is more not cool. However, I have to defend the insurance companies a little.

Of everything I've heard spoken the last few days on the subject I haven't heard anything that is accurate or not misleading. Yes, it is classed as a pre-existing condition in certain states but that doesn't mean that it's a license to refuse claims. Pre-existing conditions and where they can be applied are very tightly defined and realistically there are likely only very exceptional circumstances where this particular one would be an issue. It would only apply a) when you are switching insurance plans, b) if you are either switching to a non qualifying plan or have no creditable coverage c) if the domestic violence occurred within the last 6 months and d) if you received medical care, advice or treatment for it. I've heard claims that if you suffered domestic violence 10 years ago and then suffered it again today your insurance could turn round and deny the claim which is complete nonsense.

Not that it makes it OK but realistically this will only apply to people who have no insurance, suffer domestic violence on a regular basis, get medical treatment because of it and then get a job that carries insurance. Even then it will be covered within 12 months and depending on the plan it may be covered from day one.
Duncan Roberts is offline  
Old Sep 18th 2009, 1:09 pm
  #15  
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,605
chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Domestic violence is a "pre-existing condition"?

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy View Post
I neither care for that particular beverage nor the context in which people use it. Just wondering why that was your choice of words? Reference to Jim Jones cult or the fact that the President is black?
Oh good grief! Another racism slur. How pathetic.

Well there's other threads and, if necessary, other things to do. It's only a poxy web forum and I've got better things to do than piss about with orchestrated attacks.
chartreuse is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.