Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Doing It On Their Own ...

Doing It On Their Own ...

Old Feb 28th 2004, 3:26 am
Account Closed

mattbutt is an unknown quantity at this point

Just reading all your posts on running your own businesses...ive been out of uni now for a couple of years and was lucky enough to bag a job that transferred me over here. Working in the US was one of my ambitions, running my own business is another, which leads me to ask the question...

What inspired you all to start up your own business and go it alone? It must take a lot of guts and work?
Old Feb 28th 2004, 3:34 am
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by mattbutt
Just reading all your posts on running your own businesses...ive been out of uni now for a couple of years and was lucky enough to bag a job that transferred me over here. Working in the US was one of my ambitions, running my own business is another, which leads me to ask the question...

What inspired you all to start up your own business and go it alone? It must take a lot of guts and work?
The money

No, well yes.....lol

I wanted to work on my own terms.
Provide a service to my patients which I could determine the quality of.
To create something, nurture and watch it grow.
To improve the general quality, standard of service and ethics available to patients in my location.
To mentor and train new optometrists and other optical professionals in their introduction to the commercial enviroment.

Need any more reasons ( I have 'em)?
Old Feb 28th 2004, 4:15 am
Franklin

Originally posted by mattbutt
... What inspired you all to start up your own business and go it alone? It must take a lot of guts and work?
It must be different for each person who goes into business on his or her own. In my case I knew I just had to do it. But it is very hard work and very tiring. You have to do everything, even sorting out stamps (actually more complicated than it sounds). Marketing is a big issue.

Someone might do well from the get go, but most folks starting out on their own face incredible stress. Bills to pay absent the usual firm pay check. So much stuff to take in: new routines, marketing, finding office space, office furniture, networking (business networking and computer networking), and machines that break down. Setting up business bank accounts. Frustrating inspections by local county officials. Every Tom, Dick and Harry ringing you up (somehow you end up on a database and everyone wants to sell you something).

One thing that surprised me was the warmth and good wishes that flowed my way from the lawyers at my previous job. I realized that they saw themselves doing the same thing and they wanted me to succeed because they want to do the same thing, start up their own firm. I love those guys, and they are an excellent source of help in getting new clients. I picked up two new clients in Bel Air through a casual conversation between a lawyer I worked with and a prospect needing just the kind of biotech experience that I have to write up his complex biotech patent application. From that chance conversation has come a second client (again in Bel Air) who wants three patent applications filed on three separate inventions. Incredible.

You also learn about things that don't work or don't help you get business. Direct marketing produced only two prospects. The grind of sixteen-hour days faxing, ringing, and researching biotech databases not knowing if you will find a decent client. Not good. But recommendations seem to work for us.

It is very much like what someone told me, "You're bound to be surprised by some of the things which work - and those which do not ... [e]stablishing a customer base is always a voyage of discovery."

Last edited by Patent Attorney; Feb 28th 2004 at 4:21 am.

Old Apr 26th 2004, 11:26 pm
Just Joined

reallykool is an unknown quantity at this point
Default legalities involved with business

i'm currently on an h1 visa which is set to expire in 18 months.
i want to start a business but i dont have any idea what sort of visa i need. any ideas???
Old Apr 27th 2004, 5:24 am
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of
Default Re: Doing It On Their Own ...

Originally posted by Patent Attorney
EXPATS IN BUSINESS

Any here running a business? Thinking of running a business? Or got the hell out of dodge when things went from bad to very bad?

I recently (for the first time in my life) started a business with a partner. It was not an easy thing to do. The need to make money to pay the office rent or pay a deadline bill certainly focuses one's mind. I lost a lot of sleep in the first few weeks. Giving up a regular income verses starting out with no guarantee of anything made for lots of butterflies in zee stomach. Scary is not the word to describe it. :scared:

Anyone been through this - on this side or the other side of the wee pond?
Am I right in thinking this has been on here before?
Old Apr 27th 2004, 1:54 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Doing It On Their Own ...

Originally posted by effi
Am I right in thinking this has been on here before?
No, it's the same thread dredged up from the past.