Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Doesn't Want to Immigrate, Yet

Doesn't Want to Immigrate, Yet

Old Jan 17th 2002, 8:16 am
Just Joined

OKTazcat is an unknown quantity at this point

I am an US Citizen and my fiance is a Peruvian Citizen. We both work onboard the ships of a major cruise line and intend to keep working for at least another two years after our marriage this April. He does not want to live or work in the US until we leave the cruise line but he would like to travel with me to my home in during our vacation times away from the ships. I have visited so many different websites, INS included, and read so much information about visas but I am still confused on how we can make this happen. All the information I've read says we must file petitions and so forth in the regional office serving the area where we will be living yet this presents a problem. We will be married in Port Canaveral, Florida yet the regional office serving my residence is in another state. Our vacation time will not be until September and since he only has a C1/D1 visa, he is prohibited from staying in the US, even long enough to fly to my state and go first thing to the regional office. Can you offer me any advice or guidelines to help us so he can stay with me during this vacation period?
Old Jan 17th 2002, 11:44 am
Andy Platt

I'm not sure you'll be able to do this. He will need to get a visitor's visa in
addition to his C1/D1 and, it's quite possible that the consulate would deny it
because of presumed immigrant intent. It's not cut & dry though so he could try. He
should make the point clearly in the application that, although you are a US citizen,
to all intents and purposes you don't live in the US.

I don't see how you will be able to get married in Florida if he cannot enter the US
on his C1/D1 visa?

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >