British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Does US citizen have to give up US citizenship if they take another citizenship? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/does-us-citizen-have-give-up-us-citizenship-if-they-take-another-citizenship-379002/)

Roadster280 Jun 15th 2006 12:19 am

Re: Does US citizen have to give up US citizenship if they take another citizenship?

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
I get what you are trying to say but does what you said mean that because I had to sign up with the SSS and am eligible to be drafted into the US millitary that I should give up my UK citizenship?

Not at all. I was referring to my own views, how I feel. I can't divide my allegiance between countries. It's a shit-or-bust thing for me. Me. No-one else.

I don't view it as membership of a club, as in you can be a member of several. It's more like marriage to me. Over a lifetime, one may have several spouses. But only one at a time. And when marrying, the intention is for life, though it may not always turn out that way.

I don't judge anyone else for their views on this, it is too personal a decision. Again, though, in MY view.

kits Jun 15th 2006 12:27 am

Re: Does US citizen have to give up US citizenship if they take another citizenship?

Originally Posted by snowbunny
I have a coworker who swears this is the case. True or not?

As I know so far only UK allows their citizens to have dual citizenship. Australia (since April 2002)done the same. US I doubt it.

meauxna Jun 15th 2006 12:34 am

Originally Posted by kits
As I know so far only UK allows their citizens to have dual citizenship. Australia (since April 2002)done the same. US I doubt it.

Read the thread much?

Bob Jun 15th 2006 12:38 am

Originally Posted by meauxna
Read the thread much?

was about to say *lol*

Jerseygirl Jun 15th 2006 12:41 am

Originally Posted by Bob
was about to say *lol*

Me too. :o

Rushman Jun 15th 2006 1:09 am

Originally Posted by Elvira
All right then... But I don't see the point of Belgium other than the chocolate :p

:rolleyes: Stella Artois

Duncan Roberts Jun 15th 2006 1:27 am

Originally Posted by Roadster280
Not at all. I was referring to my own views, how I feel. I can't divide my allegiance between countries. It's a shit-or-bust thing for me. Me. No-one else.

If you are 26 or under and live here on pretty much any visa, you are required to sign up for the Selective Service and can be drafted just like a US citizen. It's not a choice or a personal view, it's the law. I'm not a US citizen but I have had to pledge my allegence to the US millitary if needed.

Duncan Roberts Jun 15th 2006 1:28 am

Originally Posted by rushman
:rolleyes: Stella Artois

Stella from Belgium is actually pretty good, its the brewed under licence in the UK stuff that gives it a bad name.

Bob Jun 15th 2006 1:57 am

Stella from Belgium is actually pretty good, its the brewed under licence in the UK stuff that gives it a bad name.

cheap over here though, so not all bad *lol* :eek:

JAJ Jun 15th 2006 2:22 am

If you are 26 or under and live here on pretty much any visa, you are required to sign up for the Selective Service and can be drafted just like a US citizen. It's not a choice or a personal view, it's the law. I'm not a US citizen but I have had to pledge my allegence to the US millitary if needed.

Persons on non-immigrant visas are generally not liable for Selective Service.
http://www.sss.gov/MUST.HTM is the reference.

Manc Jun 15th 2006 3:22 am

Originally Posted by kits

If that's not the oddest post in a while I don't know what is.........

Ray Jun 15th 2006 3:24 am

Originally Posted by Manc
If that's not the oddest post in a while I don't know what is.........

Dingo person ... says it all ...

snowbunny Jun 15th 2006 4:57 am

Originally Posted by Roadster280

I don't view it as membership of a club, as in you can be a member of several. It's more like marriage to me. Over a lifetime, one may have several spouses. But only one at a time. And when marrying, the intention is for life, though it may not always turn out that way.

Speaking of marriage though -- it would be hard for me to decide between the country of my birth (US) and the country of my husband's birth (the Netherlands). I think married couples ought to be able to have dual citizenship (provided they can meet all requirements) because they will always have a tie to the other country (in-laws, possibly children, finances...).

Jerseygirl Jun 15th 2006 11:41 am

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Speaking of marriage though -- it would be hard for me to decide between the country of my birth (US) and the country of my husband's birth (the Netherlands). I think married couples ought to be able to have dual citizenship (provided they can meet all requirements) because they will always have a tie to the other country (in-laws, possibly children, finances...).

Not necessarily....what if you've only been married for a few months and your wife votes you off the island, so you bugger off back home. :p

Rushman Jun 15th 2006 12:01 pm

I've drunk a few Belgian Stella's on my time not to mention a few more Jupilers