Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Does US citizen have to give up US citizenship if they take another citizenship?

Does US citizen have to give up US citizenship if they take another citizenship?

Old Jun 12th 2006, 1:53 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does US citizen have to give up US citizenship if they take another citizenship?

Originally Posted by Elvira
..... The only countries that I know of (there *may* be others, but the US and the UK, and most European countries, are not among them!) that do not allow dual citizenship are India and China.
..... Which begs the question how would they even know? What I contact I, or anyone else, has with the US government is not reported to the governments of other countries.

I guess if you're dumb enough to tell them you've acquired US citizenship then they'll strip you of your Indian/ Chinese citizenship. As it happens Mrs P's boss is Indian, and now, after becoming a USC, she has to obtain a visa to visit her parents back home in India!
Old Jun 12th 2006, 2:02 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does US citizen have to give up US citizenship if they take another citizenship?

Originally Posted by Roadster280
Thanks for posting the oath. It basically confirms my thoughts. One is required to make the leap, in unambiguous terms. So to go crawling back to Mummy for a British passport (crucially whilst still holding a US one) is against "renounce and abjure all allegiance".

I haven't made any kind of decision at all, other than I am happy living here. Should that continue for another 5 or 6 years, then I would be in the bracket for naturalisation, and I'd have to consider things at that point. It's just a moral dilemma that I needn't worry about anytime soon. Foolish me!
Personally I think that it is a moot point, has been since 1815, and I believe will be for likely centuries to come because British and US have been allies, standing along side each other year after year, decade after decade. I can see that it might be an issue for, many people from middle eastern countries, or from some far eastern countries where choosing one "side" or the other has, in recent decades, had profound consequences, and may still today.

When I finally get around to filing my application (it is more or less complete, I just need to review it, sign it, write the check, and get the photos taken) I will go to the "swearing in" with a clear conscience that I am not commiting to anything that will lead me to have to "pick sides".
Old Jun 12th 2006, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

Roadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to behold

Might I suggest you use less emotive language? What you do is your business, but don't go and and make derogatory remarks about those of us who hold dual citizenship, of whatever nations.

Especially for families where the parents are of different nationalities, dual citizenship is the only sensible way to go. Their children would normally have dual citizenship as a matter of course, and for them to renounce one of them would be foolish in the extreme.

Expat life is simply too complicated for your high-and-mighty notions of loyalty to just one country.
Ouch!!!

FYI, I was not casting aspersions on you or anyone else at all. For me, the choice of nationality is indeed very emotive. I took the Queen's shilling, many moons ago. I wore her crown in my cap badge for many years. (not the actual crown!!!)

So again, for me it would be very difficult to countenance renunciation of that. So I would feel as though I was crawling back to Mummy (and I was referring to ME here) if I wanted back my British passport, after giving a solemn declaration that I did not want it.

My kids were born in the UK, and live there with their Mum. My girlfriend (a USC) has three kids, all as American as Mom's apple pie. So the dual nationality thing will not apply to any of our kids. However, if I marry their Mom, and raise them as my own, then perhaps I'll feel a duty to become naturalised here. Hell, I prefer to live here than the UK so why not.

I was just making the point that for "ME" it would be a hard thing to do.

I certainly was not castigating others, everyone's circumstances are different. And I said "foolish me" because I have 6 years to go before I even have to face the choice.

Chill baby!
Old Jun 13th 2006, 4:45 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

The Dutch require me to renounce American citizenship if I want Dutch citizenship.

Of course I guess I could then have my American daughters petition for me.....

bloody stupid all of it.

If you have a tie to a particular country and have proven yourself a worthy inhabitant then WTF not be able to hold citizenship wherever you please?

I'm too old to fight for anyone, and besides, I wouldn't anyway due to conscientious objection.
Old Jun 13th 2006, 5:00 am
Forum Regular

Britdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
He's got a valid point - I'll be 'crawling back to Mummy' myself before too long. And I won't be ashamed of it.

Edit: Since Mummy want me to remain a subject as much as I want to retain unfettered access to the EU, I'll gladly take her up on her kind offer and remain at least one body of water away in whichever direction I am then most happy.
I'll be crawling on home to Mummy shortly, as well. I don't see what all the fuss is about. I'll hold dual US - EU citizenship and will be able to come and go as I damn well please. Suits me just fine. Just got to sort out the wife's Irish passport, and then it's a travellin' we will go.
Old Jun 13th 2006, 9:30 am
Just Joined

oncoman is just really niceoncoman is just really niceoncoman is just really niceoncoman is just really niceoncoman is just really niceoncoman is just really niceoncoman is just really niceoncoman is just really niceoncoman is just really niceoncoman is just really nice

Might I suggest you use less emotive language? What you do is your business, but don't go and and make derogatory remarks about those of us who hold dual citizenship, of whatever nations.

Especially for families where the parents are of different nationalities, dual citizenship is the only sensible way to go. Their children would normally have dual citizenship as a matter of course, and for them to renounce one of them would be foolish in the extreme.

Expat life is simply too complicated for your high-and-mighty notions of loyalty to just one country.

Hear Hear!!
Old Jun 13th 2006, 9:59 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I guess if you're dumb enough to tell them you've acquired US citizenship then they'll strip you of your Indian/ Chinese citizenship. As it happens Mrs P's boss is Indian, and now, after becoming a USC, she has to obtain a visa to visit her parents back home in India!
According to work colleagues of both nations, if you hold dual citizenship and go visit China or India, and you enter on your Chinese or Indian passport, the trouble does not come in until you depart.

Upon departure when you are checked for valid papers to enter the US, and you show an American passport (which will not have an entry-to-India/China visa) the airport officials bust you for the dual citizenship.

This comes from both a Chinese colleague and an Indian colleague who are very intelligent and well-travelled folk.
Old Jun 13th 2006, 5:21 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by snowbunny
According to work colleagues of both nations, if you hold dual citizenship and go visit China or India, and you enter on your Chinese or Indian passport, the trouble does not come in until you depart.

Upon departure when you are checked for valid papers to enter the US, and you show an American passport (which will not have an entry-to-India/China visa) the airport officials bust you for the dual citizenship.

This comes from both a Chinese colleague and an Indian colleague who are very intelligent and well-travelled folk.
Travel via a country they do not need a visa for would seem to be the answer.
Old Jun 13th 2006, 5:37 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny

For India, there's the option of Overseas Citizenship of India, or a PIO Card, either of which effectively give a right of abode without full citizenship.

And for China, the Australian government says:
http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-c...w/Advice/China

The Chinese government does not recognise dual nationality and will not allow consular access by the Australian Embassy or Consulate to Australians detained by Chinese authorities if they have entered China on a Chinese passport, a Hong Kong or Macau identity card or any non-Australian foreign passport. Consular access is, however, allowed to those who have entered on Australian passports. Therefore, if you are an Australian/Chinese dual national, you should travel on your Australian passport, obtain a visa for China and present yourself as Australian at all times.
Old Jun 13th 2006, 5:42 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
If you only have Belguim citizenship you have to renounce it to become a citizen of another country.....But if you are born with dual nationality you do not.

And apparently you can be naturalised Belgian without having to lose your existing citizenship:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belgian_nationality_law
Old Jun 13th 2006, 5:46 pm
JAJ
Retired

Ouch!!!

FYI, I was not casting aspersions on you or anyone else at all. For me, the choice of nationality is indeed very emotive. I took the Queen's shilling, many moons ago. I wore her crown in my cap badge for many years. (not the actual crown!!!)

So again, for me it would be very difficult to countenance renunciation of that. So I would feel as though I was crawling back to Mummy (and I was referring to ME here) if I wanted back my British passport, after giving a solemn declaration that I did not want it.
It's up to you how you resolve the issue to your own satisfaction. However one way to compromise would be to just not renew your British passport, but at the same time not go to the British Embassy to sign away your citizenship. The U.S. does not expect you to do this anyway.

And the UK does not insist you keep a valid British passport (or do anything, for that matter), to stay a British citizen. You can even visit the UK on a U.S. passport provided you don't plan anything more than a vacation.
Old Jun 13th 2006, 6:54 pm
Just me!

antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute

and another good reason as to why you should keep your british citizenship - is that it costs $360 to renounce it!!!

Ant
Old Jun 14th 2006, 1:42 am
BE Enthusiast

dinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Britdrinker
I'll be crawling on home to Mummy shortly, as well. I don't see what all the fuss is about. I'll hold dual US - EU citizenship and will be able to come and go as I damn well please. Suits me just fine. Just got to sort out the wife's Irish passport, and then it's a travellin' we will go.
That's my attitude too - personally don't see the whole citizenship as a big deal; if I can have dual citizenship I'll take it, and have done the same for my kids. Maybe it's due to my lack of patriotism to *any* country - they're a place to live and a footie team to support :-)
Old Jun 14th 2006, 6:24 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
..... Which begs the question how would they even know? What I contact I, or anyone else, has with the US government is not reported to the governments of other countries.
There's a possibility that's going to change.

Read this thread, particularly starting with post #18 by Rich Wales on page 2. There is a provision in the immigration bills currently before the House and Senate that will require the US to send notification to foreign governments when their citizens become naturalized US citizens.

~ Jenney
Old Jun 14th 2006, 7:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

If one likes the place so much that one choses to take the citizenship of that country, to be prepared to die for that country in its Armed Forces, to take on the sense of natural patriotism for that country, it is wrong to retain the ties to the former country.
I get what you are trying to say but does what you said mean that because I had to sign up with the SSS and am eligible to be drafted into the US millitary that I should give up my UK citizenship?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.