Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Does time make a difference?

Does time make a difference?

Old Mar 3rd 2004, 9:02 am
Just Joined

AndrewHarnett is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Does time make a difference?

Hi there people, I have yet another enquiry, when i finally move to the US i will have been married for around 3 years, and i wanted to know whether or not this time spent married will count for anything, or is it just time spent married in the US that counts towards your time allocated to be given US citizenship?
(of which ive been led to believe is 5 years- am i correct?)
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 12:49 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does time make a difference?

Originally posted by AndrewHarnett
Hi there people, I have yet another enquiry, when i finally move to the US i will have been married for around 3 years, and i wanted to know whether or not this time spent married will count for anything, or is it just time spent married in the US that counts towards your time allocated to be given US citizenship?

Yes and No. If you have been married 3 years when you move to the US you will be a perminant resident and not have to apply for that after two years of marriage. But you will still have live (forfill the residency part) in the US for 3 (5 years if you weren't married to an American) years.

The date when you get arrive in the US is when the clock starts ticking and you can apply for citizenship at the 3 years - 90 days mark.

Patrick
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 6:11 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future
Default Re: Does time make a difference?

Originally posted by AndrewHarnett
Mostly agree with Patrick(take my temparature!). If you are already married for 2 years or more at the time you enter the USA then you are not a (conditional) permanent resident. The only difference between a non conditional and a conditional being that you must file a USCIS Form I-751 (Petition to Remove the Conditions on Residence) signed by both you and your spouse 90 days beofre the expiration of 2 years from date of entry. If you fail to do this you loose your status and get deported. Otherwise though your legal rights are all the same as a non conditional perm res.

As for citizenship as patrick says its 3 years resident in the USA for marrieds but you can apply upto 90 days prior to the date on which you would become eligible.

he will probably snap at me now for repeating what he said.

regards,

Duncan