Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Does spouse need to attend "Removal of Condition" Interview?

Does spouse need to attend "Removal of Condition" Interview?

Old Feb 17th 2004, 12:53 am
Just Joined

dolydd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Does spouse need to attend "Removal of Condition" Interview?

After receiving letter from Immigration office Removing my Conditional status basis, I was wondering if my wife has to go to the Immigration office with me to obtain my new alien registration card. It is a 9 hr drive to Memphis, TN or a plane ticket. Just wondering if I needed to purchase two?
Old Feb 17th 2004, 1:52 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, the spouse needs to go.

And take a folder full of more evidence of your continued marriage. more photographs and what not.
Old Feb 17th 2004, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

swingin scot is on a distinguished road

I thought that removing the conditions from your green card was just a case of sending in the form and you receive your card in the mail? I was under the impression that they only require an interview if they think you don't have enough documentation to validate your marriage. Am I wrong?

Thanks.
Old Feb 17th 2004, 5:59 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by swingin scot
Am I wrong?

Thanks.
no I don't think so. From what I gather, if you send enough evidence of your continued life together, it's just a formality. Whereas if they don't have enough evidence or just pick you out at random, they invite you to go for a nice sit down and a chit chat.
Old Feb 17th 2004, 6:09 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on what the USCIS has sent him .....is it a letter with an interview date..or just a come in to get the new stamp letter..
Old Feb 17th 2004, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

dolydd is an unknown quantity at this point

They have not said I need an interview, all the letter says

"I have already been granted Permanent residency, I need to come to the office with my passport and 3 pictures to get my green card that will then be sent within 6 months"

It does not say anything about my wife attending but did not want to make the trip all the way there to be told "sorry we need to speak to your wife" So does she need to come or not?

Thanks for the help.
Old Feb 17th 2004, 8:43 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dolydd
They have not said I need an interview, all the letter says

"I have already been granted Permanent residency, I need to come to the office with my passport and 3 pictures to get my green card that will then be sent within 6 months"

It does not say anything about my wife attending but did not want to make the trip all the way there to be told "sorry we need to speak to your wife" So does she need to come or not?

Thanks for the help.
NO!
Old Feb 18th 2004, 12:50 pm
@matthewb76

Jesus, I really should re-read the initial question.

I my answer was totally *****ing irrelevent to dolydd's question.

I'll get me coat.
Old Feb 18th 2004, 1:22 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does spouse need to attend "Removal of Condition" Interview?

Originally posted by dolydd
After receiving letter from Immigration office Removing my Conditional status basis, I was wondering if my wife has to go to the Immigration office with me to obtain my new alien registration card. It is a 9 hr drive to Memphis, TN or a plane ticket. Just wondering if I needed to purchase two?

Edited:

And I should have read all the posts .... my apologies for the reiterating information.

It depends. Your post is a little confusing. Were you approved out of hand by the TSC for the removal of conditions and you are just going to Memphis to complete the I-89 for the new card and a holdover I-551 stamp in your passport. In this case, your spouse does not have to attend as it is just a matter of completing the I-89 and leaving. Bring your notification letter with you, your passport, your photo identification and here in NY my husband had to show them his birth certificate.

Or, have you received notification that you need to attend an interview before removal can be approved. If it is an interview, yes your spouse has to be there or you will not be interviewed and/or approved. The interview is similar to that of the initial adjustment interview. As manc advised bring everything you originally submitted for the I-751 and anything else that you have that proves the viability of your marriage.

Rete