Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Does immigration cost jobs?

Does immigration cost jobs?

Old May 13th 2010, 8:25 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute
Default Does immigration cost jobs?

Survey says "No":

http://factcheck.org/2010/05/does-im...obs/index.html
Old May 14th 2010, 1:05 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does immigration cost jobs?

I took an American job... mind you I then created two...
Old May 14th 2010, 1:52 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

For a small donation you can have a survey that gives you whatever result you want.

Self evident that there are many people working for ICE, Legal Profession etc who would be out of a job otherwise.
Old May 16th 2010, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of legal immigration only, yes and no. Most visas stipulate that the employer must be unable to fill the position from the American workforce, so in that situation no American is being denied the job. But those visas which allow family members to work (eg E2) put the dependant(s) on a level playing field with Americans, so in that situation potentially yes, especially if lots of kids eventually become eligable for work. However, certain skilled positions such as an inventor or creator of a new company actually create new jobs for Americans. I did the latter, albeit in the UK, and am hoping to do the same in the US if I can convince the appropriate people...
Old May 16th 2010, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

srefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Boiler
For a small donation you can have a survey that gives you whatever result you want.

Self evident that there are many people working for ICE, Legal Profession etc who would be out of a job otherwise.
Isn't that slightly contradictory though?

Immigration costs jobs, so these people have paid to have results that says it doesn't, so that they can encourage immigration which will create jobs for them...

Not saying yes or no to the original question here, just pointing out that the situation isn't as simple as "an immigrant costs a job for a US person", as in taking that job other jobs have been required to allow it to happen.

No doubt there is a point of equilibrium where a certain level of immigration is beneficial for all (or at least a majority).
Old May 16th 2010, 3:47 pm
Banned

Ozone Park will become famous soon enough

Obviously immigration does not cost jobs, it creates jobs. But what kind of jobs? These poor people will work for nothing so there are plenty of employers willing to exploit that. What they do is ruin jobs. Twenty years ago Americans worked as janitors, maids, and in the backs of restaurants-they purchased homes, had family's, took vacations and sent their kids to college doing those jobs. Now the people doing those jobs are barely surviving in small apartments, sleeping on floors with 10 other illegals, and eating beans and rice 3 times a day.. They contribute virtually nothing to the economy because they have virtually nothing to contribute, and what little money they do have leftover after buying food is sent back to family in Mexico where the money goes a lot farther.

Being highly successful in the construction industry I couldn't be competitive without them because everyone else in the industry uses them. I would love it if the Federal government enforced the laws already on the books concerning the hiring of illegals, but until they do I have to hire them or go out of business. It's just that simple. I would love to hire Americans as laborers, dry wallers, plumbers, electricians, etc, etc, etc, but if I did my competition would eat me alive.. My hands are tied. It's not my fault
Old May 16th 2010, 4:02 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would love to hire Americans as laborers, dry wallers, plumbers, electricians, etc, etc, etc
I have USC's currently working for me in all those trades. The Labourers etc directly. I will also be employing Restaurant staff in a couple of weeks, all legal.

Electricians and Plumbers in my State is a State licensed issue, no license no permit.

Certainly now there is no shortage of labour, hoping I have found someone who can plaster, we will see tomorrow.

It is certainly true that many people who used to make a reasonable living in certain areas can no longer do so.

I think you may be overstating the living etc conditions.
Old May 16th 2010, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

srefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Ozone Park
Obviously immigration does not cost jobs, it creates jobs. But what kind of jobs? These poor people will work for nothing so there are plenty of employers willing to exploit that. What they do is ruin jobs. Twenty years ago Americans worked as janitors, maids, and in the backs of restaurants-they purchased homes, had family's, took vacations and sent their kids to college doing those jobs. Now the people doing those jobs are barely surviving in small apartments, sleeping on floors with 10 other illegals, and eating beans and rice 3 times a day.. They contribute virtually nothing to the economy because they have virtually nothing to contribute, and what little money they do have leftover after buying food is sent back to family in Mexico where the money goes a lot farther.
I'm planning on being an immigrant, and this is not the lifestyle I am envisaging!
Old May 16th 2010, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

I would love to hire Americans as laborers, dry wallers, plumbers, electricians, etc, etc, etc, but if I did my competition would eat me alive.. My hands are tied. It's not my fault
Isn't this the kind of attitude you were slating in your discussion on healthcare?

Are you saying its OK when you exploit people, but not when businessmen in the health insurance field do?

Last edited by srefre; May 16th 2010 at 4:11 pm. Reason: Rewrote.
Old May 16th 2010, 4:15 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by srefre
Isn't this the kind of attitude you were slating in your discussion on healthcare?

Are you saying its OK when you exploit people, but not when businessmen in the health insurance field do?
Apples and Oranges
Old May 16th 2010, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

Apples and Oranges
Silly me, of course it is, their business is legal, but yours is not!
Old May 16th 2010, 4:31 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by srefre
Silly me, of course it is, their business is legal, but yours is not!
I believe everybody has a right to Healthcare. I don't think everybody had the right to push a wheel barrel full of bricks around on one of my job sites.

IT'S NOT MY FAULT!
Old May 16th 2010, 4:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

I believe everybody has a right to Healthcare. I don't think everybody had the right to push a wheel barrel full of bricks around on one of my job sites.

IT'S NOT MY FAULT!
IMO if you have to pay for it, or someone else has to pay for it, then it stops being a right, and is now a good or commodity

Last edited by chrisfromusa; May 16th 2010 at 4:50 pm.
Old May 16th 2010, 4:52 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by chrisfromusa
Nobody has a right to health care. Health care is a good like food, water, and shelter, that you buy or someone else buys for you. Rights are derived from natural law, government can't take it away or pay for them. A good or something we want or need, you can't derive it from natural law.
You don't have a right to roads either do you, but where would society be without them? Healthcare is a part of the structure of a civilised society.

Don't call it a "right", call it whatever you want, but we need it

Lol- I got you before you thought twice and edited it
Old May 16th 2010, 4:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

I would love it if the Federal government enforced the laws already on the books concerning the hiring of illegals, but until they do I have to hire them or go out of business. It's just that simple. I would love to hire Americans as laborers, dry wallers, plumbers, electricians, etc, etc, etc, but if I did my competition would eat me alive.. My hands are tied. It's not my fault
I suspect you haven't looked at the laws on the books. When the 1986 immigration bill was introduced, it had stiff employer sanctions but was opposed by the chamber of commerce, the farm lobby, and other businesses interests until the law was changed which explicitly releases employers from any obligation to check the authenticity of documents presented to them.

This makes it very difficult to even fine employers. That is why no fine was levied against "American Apparel" when ICE found 1,500 illegals working for them after a 2 year investigation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.