Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Does immigration cost jobs?

Does immigration cost jobs?

Old May 17th 2010, 2:38 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does immigration cost jobs?

Originally Posted by Ozone Park
Yeah lol, everybody that voted for George Bush Jr. twice are suddenly Libertarians, or Goldwater Republicans now..

"It's not my fault!" ....... right?
Damn right it's not my fault I'm one of those rare ethnic minority Ron Paul supporters, before that I was a communist and a registered Democrat.

Originally Posted by Ozone Park
Or how about Essential Government Services?
Fine, but I'm stealing your job because I'm Hispanic

Kidding! About the stealing your job part anyway..

Last edited by chrisfromusa; May 17th 2010 at 2:41 am. Reason: grammar
Old May 17th 2010, 2:46 am
Banned

Ozone Park will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by chrisfromusa
Damn right it's not my fault I'm one of those rare ethnic minority Ron Paul supporters, before that I was a communist and a registered Democrat.
I'll vote a Dennis Kucinich/Ron Paul ticket - with Dennis on top of course.
Old May 17th 2010, 3:32 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

To the original question, I don't think so at all. I am sure Americans head overseas for work too.

Fact is, if there is such a thing as “Employment Based Visa" then there is a reason to it. The country needs it. Well that's how I think about it. Sure there are people who exploit the rules but it happens everywhere in any country. Don’t forget, at the end of the day America is a mecca for professional experience and generally everyone wants to go there.

Like the very vast majority who satisfy all immigration rules & move with legal intentions & abide but laws & are qualified, I am about to move to the states as well. I did not have the luxury of opening my own business, I did not have the luxury of being transferred via work, I did not have the luxury of marrying a USC. I did it all by myself and lots of them.

I am guessing; when a company recruits they generally want to the best person to get the job. So that’s what it comes down to. I had 4 interviews and then a marathon 5 hour technical interview before I got my job. I am moving there soon so I hope I am taking the right decision.

The point is, for those who move the illegal way or some loophole way – they tend to struggle a lot. Those who do it the right way always have honest intentions.

FYI – I say the same thing for people who move to Australia. I do not thing they ‘steal’ any jobs here per se. Fact is, Australia needs it.

Remember, its immigration rules that define what America wants/needs. If they don’t want overseas workers, the rules need to change. No point in debating if non immigrant workers take away jobs or not.

Equal Opportunity employers – can not discriminate based on citizenship orientation amongst other things. I am glad it’s that way. Immigrants have just as a right to live their live happy as do Americans.
Old May 17th 2010, 3:48 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Well what I was saying in the previous posts, wasn't about should all people or some have health care, I wanted to clarify that health care can never be a right (irrespective of your thoughts on it), because a right is not something that can be bought and sold. Like you can't buy freedom of speech, or can't buy the right to a speedy trial, etc. (unless you're a slave but that point is moot nowadays anyway). You know what I mean? I'm not against you saying that we should have universal healthcare, I just don't feel that it should be called a right when in order to have it, you have to pay for it (either out of your pocket or via the public purse), you know? It's more of what to call it, than anything else. If that makes any sense.
Well someone managed it.....despite your nonsensical theories.

CHARTER OF FUNDAMENTAL RIGHTS OF THE EUROPEAN UNION
Article 35
Health care
Everyone has the right of access to preventive health care and the right to benefit from medical treatment under the conditions established by national laws and practices. A high level of human health protection shall be ensured in the definition and implementation of all [European] Union policies and activities.
Old May 17th 2010, 3:49 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

You're just confused.
Old May 17th 2010, 3:58 am
Septicity

Another one for ya:

The Universal Declaration of Human Rights 1948

"everyone has the right to a standard of living adequate for the health and well-being of oneself and one’s family, including food, clothing, housing, and medical care."

The US is a signatory.
Old May 17th 2010, 4:28 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Another one for ya:

The Universal Declaration of Human Rights 1948

"everyone has the right to a standard of living adequate for the health and well-being of oneself and one’s family, including food, clothing, housing, and medical care."

The US is a signatory.
Presumably the US was not alone.

Where do you get this UN cover?
Old May 17th 2010, 6:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Oi, I'm a Libertarian-Conservative Difference!
Just like the retirees that are in the tea party who want to cut waste in government such as disability and medical payments for other people but the government better not touch their medicare and social security benefits.
Old May 17th 2010, 10:45 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
Just like the retirees that are in the tea party who want to cut waste in government such as disability and medical payments for other people but the government better not touch their medicare and social security benefits.
That's like saying tea party people are all racists. Who wants to get payments to the disabled and mentally ill? I don't.
Old May 17th 2010, 10:50 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Forgot to add one thing, I saw pictures of Mexico and the U.S. before NAFTA was introduced, strangely enough, there were no border fences at the cities before then and Mexicans didn't come running across en masse like they do now either
The higher the fence, the stronger the fortifications, the greener the grass must be on the other side... right?
Old May 17th 2010, 2:00 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by Boiler
Where do you get this UN cover?
Start at your local federal court.
Old May 17th 2010, 2:57 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Start at your local federal court.
What has it got to do with the feds?
Old May 17th 2010, 3:00 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by Boiler
What has it got to do with the feds?
Article VI, Section 2
This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land . .

It's a federal matter....so file it in federal court.
Old May 17th 2010, 4:55 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by E3only
Immigrants have just as a right to live their live happy as do Americans.
There is no Constitutional right to happiness.

Ian
Old May 17th 2010, 5:07 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
There is no Constitutional right to happiness.

Ian
The Declaration certainly has a persuasive influence on USSC decisions, though.

http://candst.tripod.com/doisussc.htm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.