Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Does anyone have anything good to say about moving to Florida?

Does anyone have anything good to say about moving to Florida?

Old Feb 14th 2016, 3:59 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does anyone have anything good to say about moving to Florida?

Originally Posted by MrsT3030
It's good to get these balances views. Moving to Florida has been a life long dream but I didn't want that to cloud my judgement when deciding to take this job opportunity.

I suppose to an extent I was hoping to see some positive experiences but I'm glad for the balanced view.
You clearly have more in common with those of us who came to the US on an L-1, where you typically have no, or very little, choice as to where in the US you live, than those who obsess about living in Florida.

In your shoes I would jump at the chance of the transfer, if it was a good career move, or for the experience of living in the US, but not worry too much about what Florida is like compared to other states. Then arrive with an open mind.

You may love it, or you may find all manner of frustrations and irritations, which might be specific to Florida (e.g. you have to leave the AC running frequently, even when you're away, to control the indoor humidity and stop mold growing on the walls and furniture) or ubiquitous to the US (e.g. the quality of house construction and related infrastructure, AC, wiring, plumbing, etc., is utter crap, and maintaining your home is a relentless and expensive process), that you would never even dream of as a visitor, but you won't know until you try it.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 14th 2016 at 4:03 pm.
Old Feb 14th 2016, 4:03 pm
Just Joined

MrsT3030 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsT3030 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsT3030 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsT3030 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsT3030 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsT3030 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsT3030 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsT3030 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsT3030 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsT3030 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsT3030 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You clearly have more in common with those of us who came to the US on an L-1, where you typically have no, or very little, choice as to where in the US you live, than those who obsess about living in Florida.

In your shoes I would jump at the chance of the transfer, if it was a good career move, or for the experience of living in the US, but not worry too much about what Florida is like compared to other states. Then arrive with an open mind.

You may love it, or you may find all manner of frustrations and irritations, which might be specific to Florida, or ubiquitous to the US (e.g. the quality of house construction and related infrastructure, AC, wiring, plumbing, etc., is utter crap, and maintaining your home is a relentless and expensive process), that you would never even dream of as a visitor, but you won't know until you try it.
Thank you for this, this is very true. I don't have an option of where to go, this is my only option. My real life long dream has been to experience life abroad and this does look like it may be my chance.

I have to confess, while i understand the humidity is hard, I am someone for whom the English winters are just awful. I am cold ALL the time and I find it very miserable. There is something appealing about leaving that behind for a while. I am making sure I don't let that cloud my judgment for the bigger picture though. Lots to think about and it's still only a 'maybe' at the moment anyway. I will know more by the end of the week but wanted to start learning a little more in the meantime.
Old Feb 14th 2016, 4:06 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for this, this is very true. .....
I have added a little to my post above.
Old Feb 14th 2016, 4:41 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for this, this is very true. I don't have an option of where to go, this is my only option. My real life long dream has been to experience life abroad and this does look like it may be my chance.

I have to confess, while i understand the humidity is hard, I am someone for whom the English winters are just awful. I am cold ALL the time and I find it very miserable. There is something appealing about leaving that behind for a while. I am making sure I don't let that cloud my judgment for the bigger picture though. Lots to think about and it's still only a 'maybe' at the moment anyway. I will know more by the end of the week but wanted to start learning a little more in the meantime.
I agree, grab this opportunity with both hands. With an L visa - you can potentially get a Green card & then citizenship, then the US whole is your oyster.

I ended up here through marriage to a local - never had any interest in USA before, but making the move was perhaps best thing I ever did, even though the marriage did not last.
Old Feb 14th 2016, 6:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

ubiquitous to the US (e.g. the quality of house construction and related infrastructure, AC, wiring, plumbing, etc., is utter crap, and maintaining your home is a relentless and expensive process), that you would never even dream of as a visitor, but you won't know until you try it.
That depends, I am sure there are Houses like that but not all are.
Old Feb 14th 2016, 6:26 pm
Account Closed

I would value the views of those who have lived there over my own, having only visited on holiday.
I do not live there and have not been there, but lets say you were moving to my State if you could, then my experience would be very different to you moving with children and work.
Old Feb 14th 2016, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler
That depends, I am sure there are Houses like that but not all are.
True, but a lot of houses in Florida get thrown up very quickly. The iffy Chinese drywall (plasterboard) a few years ago was primarily an issue in Florida.
Old Feb 14th 2016, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

The weather might be warm and pleasant in the winter in Florida, but I find it offensively hot and humid in the summer. I have much more opportunity to do things out of doors 500 miles to the north than I ever would in Florida.
Humidity can be a problem dependent on location. We are a mile from the Gulf. We previously lived in central Alabama and I think it's less humid here.

I also have negilible risk of being blown away and flooded out by a Hurricane. That is a perpetual risk in Florida.
True but pretty low risk. Plus, there's risk everywhere. If not hurricanes, tornadoes (most of the mid-states), earthquakes, forest fires, drought. Most of the east coast is also subject to hurricanes.
Choose your location wisely. We were careful to avoid flood zones. Although a mile from the water, it would take a 40ft storm surge to reach us.

Schools - you've touched on those in your other thread, don't have a great reputation.
We've not experienced the school system here. Our daughter schooled in Alabama and emerged with a Bachelor's degree in Criminal Justice.

The houses in Florida are mostly single storey and packed in like sardines.
Again, depends on location. We're on a half-acre lot and viewed numerous houses with land (up to 10 acres). We compromised on half an acre to be closer to the water.

Florida is as flat as a pancake, so very little scenery - what you see is buildings, trees, .... and sky.
...and water. My daily commute takes me over several miles of bridges with some awesome views. This last week, I've been watching the sun rise across the water as I drove to work.

Originally Posted by RICH
You get used to the climate - just accept you'll be a sweaty mess after 10 mins outside!
This...
We have a pool. If I'm doing yard work, it usually consists of 30 minutes work followed by 30 minutes in the pool.

True, but a lot of houses in Florida get thrown up very quickly. The iffy Chinese drywall (plasterboard) a few years ago was primarily an issue in Florida.
Due diligence. Do your research and get a FULL home inspection.

Yes, we have mosquitoes but the local utilities spray weekly during peak season which does a good job of keeping them in check even though our property backs onto woodland. It doesn't stop us enjoying the outdoors.

Never seen an alligator but we do have bears (have seen a couple). Also, snakes, squirrels, opossum and I think this morning I saw a fox.

I hate the cold. I would rather take the Florida summers than the Colorado winters.
Old Feb 14th 2016, 10:32 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by chawkins99

I hate the cold. I would rather take the Florida summers than the Colorado winters.
What about North Carolina winters? Mr P's location.
Old Feb 14th 2016, 11:03 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Just jmping in from the Aus forum to throw something in about moving to a warmer climate. My part of Aus (Sydney) doesn't get horribly cold in winter - average of about 16c, min temps of about 9c. But, by far, it feels like the coldest place I've ever lived. I hate, hate, hate Sydney winters. You get used to warm weather (like today, where it's a perfect 27c); winters feel cold. And, like US houses by the sound of it, construction aint what it is in Blighty. Houses feel cold - typically minimnal heating and bugger all insulation. Just aware that you may feel colder in Florida than you do in the UK.
Old Feb 14th 2016, 11:06 pm

Are you on some sort of frickin' commission from the NC Realtors Association?
Old Feb 14th 2016, 11:08 pm
Account Closed

Just trying to push up your property investment.
Old Feb 14th 2016, 11:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

I daresay I would enjoy NC if I lived there but they're still 30 degrees colder than where I am right now. Only time I've been there was on a working trip. No time for sight-seeing.

Like the OP, I see all of the negative threads about Florida and just don't get it.

Colorado scenery is breath-taking. I just couldn't cope with the winters. Actually, I would cope with it if I had to (but wouldn't enjoy it).
Old Feb 14th 2016, 11:14 pm
Account Closed

Nearly made freezing today!

Overcast, very windy and snow in the air. Walking the Pooch on sheet ice was no fun.
Old Feb 14th 2016, 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by chawkins99
..... Like the OP, I see all of the negative threads about Florida and just don't get it. .....
As I see it on BE, it's all about providing balance to people's information for decision making. I am one of many people who love living in America, and have zero intention of leaving, but when people come here with some rosy-eyed view of what living in NY, California, Texas, Arizona, Florida, or any other state, I think the value we can add is to say "yes, but, have you thought of .....?, You should be aware of ..... etc.

And in my opinion there are more negatives than positives about Florida, but that's just me. That's not to say there are no positives as I am sure there are many, but honestly, most people who come here blathering on about moving to Florida already know all the actual positives, and sometimes have a few bogus ones too!

And BTW it doesn't matter to me how much you protest about the low Hurricane risk, it is immeasurably higher than where I live. The last one here was in 1988, and that was talked about so much because that was the only one in decades. I couldn't even tell you when the one before that was. Unless you live next to a creek or river there is also pretty much zero risk of flooding, and despite what Rete said today, and IIRC Nutmegger, or was it WEBlue said previously, the risk of tornadoes where I live is also effectively zero ..... "tornadoes" here pull a limb off a tree, remove the guttering or remove a few shingles from the roof, they don't flip cars or demolish houses. Yes, down in SC, or further east in NC, or to the west of the Appalachians there can be dangerous tornadoes, but not here at Pulaski Manor.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 14th 2016 at 11:59 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.