Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Does anybody else find this weird?

Does anybody else find this weird?

Old Apr 3rd 2004, 7:37 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does anybody else find this weird?

ONE R, TWO B's

C_A_R_I_B_B_E_A_N

What is it with the routine misspelling of the word Caribbean? At best it shows total ignorance.

I mean, nobody would dream of writing Ingurland or Amurica in a post, would they?

Originally posted by veryfunny
Most black english people would have come from the carribean or Africa and would be darker then the average african american.

I busted a gut laughing about this comment, this is a bit like saying White Canadians or lighter than white Russians.
Old Apr 3rd 2004, 8:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pulaski
I think that the whole labels thing stinks. I did when I lived in the UK, and I still do.

For what its worth I do not, ever, complete that section of forms as to force people to answer such questions is, of course, discriminatory and prohibited by law - in both the UK and America.

I have now been chased by employers in both the UK and the US telling me that I had not fully completed my joining paperwork, and could I kindly answer the "racial background" question. The answer each time has been "no", as I am not required to do so.

The sooner more people decline to provide this information the sooner the whole "labels" thing will go away.
Agreed- I don't fill in those "racist" questions either, except on one occaison- the college got stroppy about it claiming I fill in something for 'statistical' purposes- so I wrote British.....
Old Apr 3rd 2004, 10:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by CaliforniaBride
ONE R, TWO B's

C_A_R_I_B_B_E_A_N

What is it with the routine misspelling of the word Caribbean? At best it shows total ignorance.

I mean, nobody would dream of writing Ingurland or Amurica in a post, would they?
Sorry, I was just quoting someone else. I will bear that in mind next time.
THX
Old Apr 3rd 2004, 11:43 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by veryfunny
Sorry, I was just quoting someone else. I will bear that in mind next time.
THX
No probs. Glad to have been of assistance.

CB
Old Apr 5th 2004, 6:30 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

I was talking, on Friday, about Pop Idol (mainly disgussing that in the first series you had to have some kind of disability to get into the final (either a lisp or a stutter)) and mentioned the girl who came third was a 16 year old black girl. I was forcefully told "African-American" by a white American woman. I said how can she be an "African-American" when she's british - she is either an afro-caribbean or black.

PC is fine when achieves what it set out to achieve but it really has to got to a point of ridiculesness. I'm waiting for women to have personstral cycles!

Patrick
Old Apr 5th 2004, 7:37 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hispanic would cover anybody Spanish or of Spanish descent. So speaking Spanish as a first language does not make you Hispanic. However Hispanic dates from atime when Portugal was not a seperate entity.

As Spain and Portugal have been seperate entities for many years, not a term I have heard used before in common parlance. I think I would have gone for Iberian before Hispanic. The only other term I can think of that is comparable is Scandinavian.

Latino I must admit I thought had some reference to Latin the language. But it means anybody in the Americas ex USA and Canada - Latin America.

So in answer to the lady whose Husband is Spanish, he could be called Hispanic but certainly not Latino. But the again looking at my ancestory (half Welsh) I know there is a Welsh community in Argentinia, and German etc etc, so they could be called Latino's but not Hispanic!
Old Apr 5th 2004, 9:28 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Patrick
I was talking, on Friday, about Pop Idol (mainly disgussing that in the first series you had to have some kind of disability to get into the final (either a lisp or a stutter)) and mentioned the girl who came third was a 16 year old black girl. I was forcefully told "African-American" by a white American woman. I said how can she be an "African-American" when she's british - she is either an afro-caribbean or black.

PC is fine when achieves what it set out to achieve but it really has to got to a point of ridiculesness. I'm waiting for women to have personstral cycles!

Patrick
I wonder what the white American woman thinks of British English speakers. Maybe she thinks we speak a variety of American English

Perhaps she doesn't even realize that there are black Britons. She'd probably freak out to discover that there are Asians (South East Asians/Indians) in Africa too! e.g. in Kenya, Tanzania, etc.

NC Penguin
Old Apr 5th 2004, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

supernav will become famous soon enoughsupernav will become famous soon enough

in that case -- jews aren't a race either. So saying bad things about jews, doesn't make you racist. Just against the jew religion right?
Old Apr 5th 2004, 11:32 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

Patrick
Patrick,

I'm sure when you were disgussing(sic) Pop Idol you weren't referring to being black as a disability. Although, your post does read as such.

The conversation you had doesn't in my mind demonstrate that 'PC' has reached the 'point of ridiculousness', rather that the woman in question was incorrect as you were. Being incorrect should not invoke ridicule.

CB

Last edited by CaliforniaBride; Apr 5th 2004 at 11:58 am.
Old Apr 5th 2004, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

ejay1 will become famous soon enough

Patrick
How could she call the girl african-american, wouldn't her accent give away that she is british. That is just racist, if I was african-american I would be disgusted.
Old Apr 5th 2004, 5:21 pm
Account Closed

Raises another issue I have no answer to:

The use of the term British, what does it mean?

I never use it, never would occur to me to descrive myself as British in the UK. Has a slightly bad taste flavour nowadays.

I use English, except for Rugby when I am Welsh.

Never used it here either, most people have no idea where Wales is, so I just stick to English.

PS: What is a British accent?
Old Apr 5th 2004, 5:29 pm
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by supernav
in that case -- jews aren't a race either. So saying bad things about jews, doesn't make you racist. Just against the jew religion right?
Hmm.. if anti-semitism is really just being opposed to Judaism then does this not include secular Jews?

Just a question.

I don't think it's about "race" as such just percieved ethnic groups.

Hell it's about discrimination as an expression of fear and a vehicle for control.

In most cases it's just an excuse imho. People who don't like themselves very much tend to project their own self-loathing onto others. Not always, but often, the case.
Old Apr 5th 2004, 5:31 pm
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by CaliforniaBride
Patrick,

I'm sure when you were disgussing(sic) Pop Idol you weren't referring to being black as a disability. Although, your post does read as such.

The conversation you had doesn't in my mind demonstrate that 'PC' has reached the 'point of ridiculousness', rather that the woman in question was incorrect as you were. Being incorrect should not invoke ridicule.

CB
Agreed!

We all make mistakes. If you aren't making mistakes then you aren't doing enough to learn new things.
Old Apr 6th 2004, 4:09 am
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Boiler
Hispanic would cover anybody Spanish or of Spanish descent. So speaking Spanish as a first language does not make you Hispanic. However Hispanic dates from atime when Portugal was not a seperate entity.

As Spain and Portugal have been seperate entities for many years, not a term I have heard used before in common parlance. I think I would have gone for Iberian before Hispanic. The only other term I can think of that is comparable is Scandinavian.

Latino I must admit I thought had some reference to Latin the language. But it means anybody in the Americas ex USA and Canada - Latin America.

So in answer to the lady whose Husband is Spanish, he could be called Hispanic but certainly not Latino. But the again looking at my ancestory (half Welsh) I know there is a Welsh community in Argentinia, and German etc etc, so they could be called Latino's but not Hispanic!
Which begs the question- What about Basque, Catalan, or Galician "Spanish"? They would certainly disagree to being lumped into the general catagory of "Hispanic". Not to mention all those in Southern Spain of mixed Moor/Spanish ancestory. Should we throw the Gypsy's into in? Romany people exist in most every country. If as an "African American" does to claim the "African" part of that, my wife goes back in time, then she is a Visgoth-Saldube- Roman- Iberian Hispanic. The indiginous aboriginals in South America- are they Hispanic or Latin?

The logic of "labels" is ridiculous-there are just too many flavors of people in the world. If one just looks at the African continent- to be an "African American", one could be lily white (as the Copts of Egypt), to Arab, to Beduin, to Black.

I am all for a little national pride for a few generations, whether it be Irish, Chinese, Itialian, Nigerian, or Whatever- American, but after a while it just gets ridiculous.
Old Apr 6th 2004, 4:15 am
Account Closed

Completely agree, I did not understand why the 'authorities' pick out Hispanics - however defined.

Still do not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.