Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

DO YOU VOTE IN THE UK ?

DO YOU VOTE IN THE UK ?

Old Oct 11th 2009, 10:44 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DO YOU VOTE IN THE UK ?

Originally Posted by JAJ
MPs might take more interest in the concerns of overseas Britons. For example, the 3 year residence rule for university tuition fees
I can't agree, I am afraid - cheaper Uni fees (NHS treatment etc) are and should be for residents only. Allowing expats to send their kids off to UK unis for a discount education is just UK taxpayers paying for foreign taxpayers' kids (or, in the case of our friends in the UAE, where they have neither tax nor decent unis, non-taxpayers) to get educated at great expense.

I suppose there could be something akin to the voluntary pension contributions that could allow residency for social benefits to continue in exchange for further payments.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 2:22 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
I can't agree, I am afraid - cheaper Uni fees (NHS treatment etc) are and should be for residents only. Allowing expats to send their kids off to UK unis for a discount education is just UK taxpayers paying for foreign taxpayers' kids (or, in the case of our friends in the UAE, where they have neither tax nor decent unis, non-taxpayers) to get educated at great expense.

I suppose there could be something akin to the voluntary pension contributions that could allow residency for social benefits to continue in exchange for further payments.
Or they could reduce the 3 year residence rule to 1 year, which is closer to the rules in most US states and Canadian provinces for "in-state" tuition.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 2:54 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

You mean, give foreign taxpayers' kids a free education if they spend their gap year in the UK?
Old Oct 16th 2009, 3:12 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
You mean, give foreign taxpayers' kids a free education if they spend their gap year in the UK?
We are talking about a British citizen establishing residence in the United Kingdom.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 4:17 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lansbury
That's way we have never bothered to register. Got all the forms to do so but when we saw that it was a complete waste of time. Doubt we would even get the ballot before the polls closed.
Of course. PC answer - There's no incentive for any party in government to make it easier for expats to vote, because we're a lot more difficult to buy.