Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Do you think expats are mean to each other?

Do you think expats are mean to each other?

Old Apr 30th 2007, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you think expats are mean to each other?

Cutina hasn't been around for a while. Is she still in the US?
Old Apr 30th 2007, 12:20 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nethead
Cutina hasn't been around for a while. Is she still in the US?
Yes..I believe so !!
Old Apr 30th 2007, 4:22 pm
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Yes..I believe so !!
I emailed her a few weeks ago - havent heard back yet.
Old May 1st 2007, 3:13 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Was she not moving to Lisbon?
Old May 23rd 2007, 1:31 am
BE Enthusiast

bugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond repute

sophia s, you make some good points.

In almost 2 years Ive spoken to just 2 brits. One lives close by and suggested i pop in and visit him and his wife anytime which ive yet to do (maybe im the rude one?!!)

the second was a woman in a store who was paying for groceries. I noticed her south east accent and I said something like 'ive not heard an accent for a while' and she looked at me with her nose up and replied 'i suppose you are from up north?'

I left the conversation at that! as i am indeed from up north, i cant help where i was born i suppose. My trolley was full of imported boddingtons and lard but she cant hold that againt me can she?
Old May 23rd 2007, 1:48 am
Banned

leonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bugman
sophia s, you make some good points.

In almost 2 years Ive spoken to just 2 brits. One lives close by and suggested i pop in and visit him and his wife anytime which ive yet to do (maybe im the rude one?!!)

the second was a woman in a store who was paying for groceries. I noticed her south east accent and I said something like 'ive not heard an accent for a while' and she looked at me with her nose up and replied 'i suppose you are from up north?'

I left the conversation at that! as i am indeed from up north, i cant help where i was born i suppose. My trolley was full of imported boddingtons and lard but she cant hold that againt me can she?

where do you live in the states? chicago? must be plenty of brits there? i live in north georgia, i'm always bumping into brits. met a family one of the guys lives near me, he was one of the founding members of that band who played "turning japanese" one hit wonder. unfortunately he left the band months before that hit! but only snob i encountered was some coked up british slut at an after party for a hollywood movie i worked on. told her i was from london and she said something like i was still a "redneck". anyway if i met you on the street i'd buy you a pint. but go visit your neighbours, but then again they may be W*^*%#S
Old May 23rd 2007, 1:52 am
Banned

leonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond repute

but actually i did meet a right twat in a restaurant. him and his wife both brits and their boring american friends. i passed them and said oh hi where you from, they were just total snobs, from manchester (which is a good thing) but they had hung around these total boring corporate types for too long and had lost their personalities. something like "invasion of the body snatchers".
Old May 23rd 2007, 1:52 am
British New Yorker

veronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond repute

There seem to be thousands of Brits in New York City!! I belong to a few Brit societies (charities mostly) and I belong to a British film thingy. There are some wonderful Brits here, there are also ones with fake accents and horrible personalities. There are snobs too. I know one woman (she would say lady) who is a Brum. (I like Brums) She took elocution lessons in the UK , she married quite well over here and her accent is changing weekly, lol She is actually very nice but a bit annoying. I have to remember that this is her dream come true. She can be president of women's charities, she does not work now since she married, just charity work (all British) She has taken to saying 'Oh jolly good show' and such She is in her late 30's I believe and as I say, really nice but she 'effects' the person she wanted to be and I guess that is ok too, just annoys me sometimes.

The most effected accent I have ever heard is an American woman who's mother was a Brit, she sounds a bit like the queen although I don't believe she lived in the UK, not for long if she did She is fun to listen too, I can't help laughing.

On the whole, the ex-pats here are great. I feel mean now for complaining about some of them!!!
Old May 23rd 2007, 2:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by veronica jayne
There seem to be thousands of Brits in New York City!! I belong to a few Brit societies (charities mostly) and I belong to a British film thingy. There are some wonderful Brits here, there are also ones with fake accents and horrible personalities. There are snobs too. I know one woman (she would say lady) who is a Brum. (I like Brums) She took elocution lessons in the UK , she married quite well over here and her accent is changing weekly, lol She is actually very nice but a bit annoying. I have to remember that this is her dream come true. She can be president of women's charities, she does not work now since she married, just charity work (all British) She has taken to saying 'Oh jolly good show' and such She is in her late 30's I believe and as I say, really nice but she 'effects' the person she wanted to be and I guess that is ok too, just annoys me sometimes.

The most effected accent I have ever heard is an American woman who's mother was a Brit, she sounds a bit like the queen although I don't believe she lived in the UK, not for long if she did She is fun to listen too, I can't help laughing.

On the whole, the ex-pats here are great. I feel mean now for complaining about some of them!!!
I think I could of been a lot happier over here if I had more Brit's around me like you do, plus I have a great fondness for a Brummy on here
Old May 23rd 2007, 2:14 am
Banned

r u sure it wasn't madonna!!! heard her, OMG!!! i've met plenty of fake british "anglophiles" in atlanta. some even have a MOD scooter club and ride round as if its 1970 brighton beach! i spoke to a few of them in a pub and they were almost wetting themselves. (shame the wife was around!):embaressed_smile:

so the lady from brum is britting it up!!! i tell my brit friend that here, he's a 30 yr old virgin and terrified of women. i keep telling him that id swop places with him if he wanted. in my next life i hope to be an english millionaire with a US passport. as finchey ( the guy from the office) would say, "i'd be up to my nuts in guts.)
Old May 23rd 2007, 2:33 am
BE Enthusiast

bugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond repute

leonatlanta. Yes im nearish to chicago. theres probably lots of brits closer to the city. The one guy i mentioned lives a 5 minute walk away so i have no excuse, seems like a very nice guy, he likes a drink i believe so thats a good excuse for visiting.

As for changing accents, i am guilty of adapting my NW accent for practical reasons, you know what i mean, the 'corrie' accent isnt easily understood, although now my neighbours are quite proud they understand me with no problems, I should let them watch 'Kes' and see how they get on wi'at. Of course they only understand me as i i dont say things like 'haya cock, am, jus' nippin' darn t' char 'ouse forra vienna beef, you wont tamata sauce onnit?'

bugman,.
Old May 23rd 2007, 2:38 am
Banned

Originally Posted by bugman
leonatlanta. Yes im nearish to chicago. theres probably lots of brits closer to the city. The one guy i mentioned lives a 5 minute walk away so i have no excuse, seems like a very nice guy, he likes a drink i believe so thats a good excuse for visiting.

As for changing accents, i am guilty of adapting my NW accent for practical reasons, you know what i mean, the 'corrie' accent isnt easily understood, although now my neighbours are quite proud they understand me with no problems, I should let them watch 'Kes' and see how they get on wi'at. Of course they only understand me as i i dont say things like 'haya cock, am, jus' nippin' darn t' char 'ouse forra vienna beef, you wont tamata sauce onnit?'

bugman,.
people here think i talk posh, and i hate to say it, like "simon cowell". isnt it weird but some even think i look like davy jones from monkees and that guy "arthur", both small men, im not, bloody yanks!
Old May 23rd 2007, 3:08 am
British New Yorker

veronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
I think I could of been a lot happier over here if I had more Brit's around me like you do, plus I have a great fondness for a Brummy on here

I know a lot of Brummies, we have a good mix of everyone. From my film thingy I meet all the BBC people and BBC America and at my charities I meet a mix of everyone. Who is the Brum on here?
Old May 23rd 2007, 3:18 am
British New Yorker

Dudley Moore and Davey Jones, yikes, they are nothing alike at all. I met Dudley Moore years ago, very nice. Davy was very hot at one point (the Monkees)

There are so many Brits in New York many New Yorkers can tell north from south, mine is a mix, even the Brits ask me where I am from. I like accents, Newcastle is my favorite Actually most Brits ask me if I am Welsh when I first meet them!
Old May 23rd 2007, 3:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Dudley Moore and Davey Jones, yikes, they are nothing alike at all. I met Dudley Moore years ago, very nice. Davy was very hot at one point (the Monkees)

There are so many Brits in New York many New Yorkers can tell north from south, mine is a mix, even the Brits ask me where I am from. I like accents, Newcastle is my favorite Actually most Brits ask me if I am Welsh when I first meet them!
Thats a cool job you have

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.