British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Do you think expats are mean to each other? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/do-you-think-expats-mean-each-other-341377/)

cutina Dec 6th 2005 5:20 pm

Do you think expats are mean to each other?

I went to a pub quiz last night in Cincinnati, where the host was a british expat woman. The quiz was crap, but that isn't the point here... I was there with my team (4 americans and a canadian), and she had me singled out as british from the start. when she found out I didn't know the answer to a 'British Question' about Sir Isaac Newton, she called me a dumb bitch over the Mic. It was really mean and uncalled for, she wasn't even laughing. We exchanged words and my friends were all really shocked at how nasty she was to me. Did she single me out because I am british?

I know I can be opinionated about things, but i always try to be respectful to people and although I can defend myself when attacked, why would someone do that? It really upset me, and i felt totally embarassed in front of my friends, some of whom happen to be colleages too.
My friends felt like she thought she was some kind of celebrity because she was English... and maybe I stepped on her toes? :confused:

veryfunny Dec 6th 2005 5:29 pm

Re: Do you think expats are mean to each other?

I have met some really rude Brits here as well, once they find out where I am from. So, you are not alone.

Originally Posted by cutina
I went to a pub quiz last night in Cincinnati, where the host was a british expat woman. The quiz was crap, but that isn't the point here... I was there with my team (4 americans and a canadian), and she had me singled out as british from the start. when she found out I didn't know the answer to a 'British Question' about Sir Isaac Newton, she called me a dumb bitch over the Mic. It was really mean and uncalled for, she wasn't even laughing. We exchanged words and my friends were all really shocked at how nasty she was to me. Did she single me out because I am british?

I know I can be opinionated about things, but i always try to be respectful to people and although I can defend myself when attacked, why would someone do that? It really upset me, and i felt totally embarassed in front of my friends, some of whom happen to be colleages too.
My friends felt like she thought she was some kind of celebrity because she was English... and maybe I stepped on her toes? :confused:

cutina Dec 6th 2005 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by veryfunny
I have met some really rude Brits here as well, once they find out where I am from. So, you are not alone.

why do you think it's like that? I'm happy to meet brits!

Angry White Pyjamas Dec 6th 2005 5:34 pm

Ive not met any particularly rude brits. Most just ask how long we've been here and do we like it. I must admit I dont like it when a Brit realises I am too one and instantly wants to be my best friend because of it but I just keep my distance. Perhaps they think I am a rude Brit then.

cutina Dec 6th 2005 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Ive not met any particularly rude brits. Most just ask how long we've been here and do we like it. I must admit I dont like it when a Brit realises I am too one and instantly wants to be my best friend because of it but I just keep my distance. Perhaps they think I am a rude Brit then.

no... i don't think so, unless you call them a dumb bitch:o
I don't seek brits out in the real world, and I don't have any here who are amongst my good friends, but they don't have to actually be nasty? I know in general we tend to not form cliques, which is good, but is actually being nasty necessary?

britvic Dec 6th 2005 5:39 pm

I love meeting the odd Brit and do have a good natter in the Brit shop, sorry to hear the stuck up cow upset you, wish I had been there.

Patrick Dec 6th 2005 5:40 pm

Piss off!!!

cutina Dec 6th 2005 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by Patrick
Piss off!!!

:D:D:D

Partystar Dec 6th 2005 5:41 pm

Wow, what a complete biatchie!

I think maybe your friends are right, she probably thinks she is something special & wanted to belittle you in front of everyone. I would just try to ignore what happened, most expats that I know are lovely, like everyone online here!!!

Angry White Pyjamas Dec 6th 2005 5:41 pm

no... i don't think so, unless you call them a dumb bitch:o

Not out loud.

I don't seek brits out in the real world, and I don't have any here who are amongst my good friends, but they don't have to actually be nasty? I know in general we tend to not form cliques, which is good, but is actually being nasty necessary?

I think she may have just been an ignoramus in general and probably had a few drinks under her belt. Then she didnt like the idea of another Brit possibly stealing her limelight of being the resident Brit. Write her off as an insecure tit and most likely your colleagues saw her for what she was.

Always21 Dec 6th 2005 5:42 pm

My first job here was arranged through a contact of my wife whose British husband managed the local office of a British company. There were quite a few Brits working there. These days I would be delighted to get a job like that, but back then I had only just arrived and wasn't pining to be around other Brits yet. One of them was really blunt an unpleasant. I had to take him one day to pick his car up from the shop and he insulted my car, asking why I had bought such a piece of ****. I quit after a month. :p

cutina Dec 6th 2005 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Not out loud.

now, you see, that's the polite way to be ;) !!
Thanks AWP...

Angry White Pyjamas Dec 6th 2005 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by Always21
My first job here was arranged through a contact of my wife whose British husband managed the local office of a British company. There were quite a few Brits working there. These days I would be delighted to get a job like that, but back then I had only just arrived and wasn't pining to be around other Brits yet. One of them was really blunt an unpleasant. I had to take him one day to pick his car up from the shop and he insulted my car, asking why I had bought such a piece of ****. I quit after a month. :p

At which point I would have stopped the car, opened his door and told him to get out and he could walk to get his own POS if he didnt like mine so much.

Schnorbitz Dec 6th 2005 5:44 pm

We have met a few; some by chance and some because our American neighbours assume that we want to become friends with anyone British and pass on our phone number. The chance meetings were mixed; one was lovely, I could really empathise with her but the other bloke I met was too concerned about telling me how long he'd been here, what he'd done, and generally how much better he was than me. The expat introduced by a neighbour was real poison; telling my wife how we wouldn't like it here, how our neighbours had a 'click' and unless we were in our lifes would be truely miserable - needless to say, we avoid her calls now!!

My outlook is that I want to make friends; it matters none where they are from.

britontour Dec 6th 2005 5:55 pm

She probably got bullied at school and left the UK because of it.

Most expats I've met have been pretty nice and quite helpfull in advice.