Reload this Page >

Do you Superbowl?

Wikiposts
View Poll Results: Do you Superbowl?
Yes!
54.17%
No!!
41.67%
Maybe this time, but only if Janet is performing!
4.17%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Do you Superbowl?

Old Feb 1st 2005, 7:18 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you Superbowl?

Originally Posted by rogerpenycate
Most cities have only one team and therefore total domination of the merchandise. You can't go 50 yards around here with seeing someone in a Redskins hat, jacket, scarf etc.
Compare that to 6 premiership teams in London, and countless other teams in lower divisions all vying for a piece of the merchandise pumpkin pie and it adds up to a tidy sum
that's where the pats and sox's are lucking...there the only new england team in the big leagues...celtics are a joke and don't count, after the hay day of the 80's...
Old Feb 1st 2005, 8:31 am
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

No, American Rugby is a pile of shite.
I'd rather watch paint dry, with a looped CD of the queens xmas speeches playing in the background.
Old Feb 1st 2005, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tony_2003
No, American Rugby is a pile of shite.
I'd rather watch paint dry, with a looped CD of the queens xmas speeches playing in the background.

Your quite right of course. Joe Namath, Johnny Unintas, Jim Brown, Jerry Rice, "mean" Joe Greene, Fran Tarkenton, Joe Montanna and of course "Refrigerator" Perry. All of them should hang their heads in shame for having been involved in the "shite" that is American football.

Too bad Vince Lombardi couldn't see the error of his ways before winning all those championships. John Madden should change the name of his best selling sports title to "John Madden's pile of shite".
Old Feb 1st 2005, 11:48 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
I also remember the first televised bowl back in 82 on Channel 4.
1983. Channel 4 only started broadcasting in November 1982.

http://www.offthetelly.co.uk/features/c4/sport1.htm

Anyway, pedantry aside I enjoy watching the NFL on telly, although I have a few modest ideas about how the game in general could be improved, should they ever ask me. I've also learned to enjoy baseball since moving here, but hockey and basketball I can't even pretend to give a toss about. The last is a minor disappointment to my FIL who is something of a college basketball afficionado.

I'm also in a superbowl pool in the office, with $1,000 up for grabs.
Old Feb 1st 2005, 12:16 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Ahhh , i'm celtic angel and you must be the resident masochist!!! :scared:
Old Feb 1st 2005, 12:18 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jabba1
Your quite right of course. Joe Namath, Johnny Unintas, Jim Brown, Jerry Rice, "mean" Joe Greene, Fran Tarkenton, Joe Montanna and of course "Refrigerator" Perry. All of them should hang their heads in shame for having been involved in the "shite" that is American football.
horses for courses...still a dull game, wouldn't be bad if they didn't stop every few seconds...and out of those names, only a handful would be known worldwide...just doesn't hold much appeal, but then again,bit more of an effort playing, can't just have a ball and have a knock about against a wall like you can with footie can ya...
Old Feb 1st 2005, 12:25 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Too bad Vince Lombardi couldn't see the error of his ways before winning all those championships. John Madden should change the name of his best selling sports title to "John Madden's pile of shite".
Come on, American Football is absolute wank......

then again, I am a Lions fan, so it's only natural that I have this opinion.
Old Feb 1st 2005, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc

Agreed!!! Even I can't dispute that logic.

...and out of those names, only a handful would be known worldwide..
BLASPHEMY!!!! There IS NO world beyond the US borders!!! You will be executed at dawn for spreading such treasonous lies.
Old Feb 1st 2005, 1:16 pm
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Montana...that's an old fat guy who endorsed a couple of computer games right? Or was it Madden...Never heard of the rest. Listing a bunch of players doesnt argue your case either...in fact it weakens it since no one has heard of them outside the U.S.

I could give you an arms length list of why American Rugby sucks...but two will do for now.

1. Skill & strategy - there is none! Tell me how much training it takes to learn how to run behind most of the oposition and catch a ball with gloves on?
How much skill does it take to pack on 500 LBS of fat, stand in defence wait like a human wall made of flesh and try and block anyone running at you?

2. Football is played with the foot NOT the hands.
Old Feb 1st 2005, 2:14 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Montana...that's an old fat guy who endorsed a couple of computer games right? Or was it Madden...Never heard of the rest. Listing a bunch of players doesnt argue your case either...in fact it weakens it since no one has heard of them outside the U.S.
That's madden...but also heard of the fridge and lombardi...so not to hot eh
Old Feb 1st 2005, 2:36 pm
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc

Never was a truer word spoken!
Old Feb 1st 2005, 7:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

I could give you an arms length list of why American Rugby sucks...but two will do for now.

1. Skill & strategy - there is none! Tell me how much training it takes to learn how to run behind most of the oposition and catch a ball with gloves on?
How much skill does it take to pack on 500 LBS of fat, stand in defence wait like a human wall made of flesh and try and block anyone running at you?

2. Football is played with the foot NOT the hands.

Gee, one gets the impression you don't much care for American football. Incidentally, I could point out that your reasoning works both ways. Few (if any) Americans have heard of even the top European football (soccer) players. That's to say nothing of top Rugby and Cricket players, that stuff's all greek to us Americans.

As far as American football players having no skill, well, that's debatable. I for one grant you that the offensive line isn't a skilled position. On the other hand, it would be tough to argue that Barry Sanders had no skill as a running back, or that Lynn Swann and Jerry Rice were not skilled wide recievers.

The quarterback must have skill in order to run the offense efficiently. Dan Marino and John Elway are evidence of this. BTW, Joe Montanna quaterbacked the San Francisco 49ers to four Superbowl championships during the 80's. John Madden is the former coach of the Okland Raiders during the 70's. He's the most famous color commentator in NFL history, working alongside Pat Summerall for many years in the CBS booth. He currently does commentary alongside the play-by-play of Al Michaels on ABC's Monday Night Fooball.

One last note. Many British people are aware of William (refrigerator) Perry because of a British tv spot that he appeared in during the mid-80's. The spot was an advertisment for (what else) refrigerators. In 1985 the Chicago Bears and the Dallas Cowboys met in London for an exibhition game at Wimbley stadium. The British press literally swarmed on Perry as did the fans at Wimbley before and after the game. That spot had made him a household name in the UK.
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 12:08 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Gee, one gets the impression you don't much care for American football. Incidentally, I could point out that your reasoning works both ways. Few (if any) Americans have heard of even the top European football (soccer) players. That's to say nothing of top Rugby and Cricket players, that stuff's all greek to us Americans.

As far as American football players having no skill, well, that's debatable. I for one grant you that the offensive line isn't a skilled position. On the other hand, it would be tough to argue that Barry Sanders had no skill as a running back, or that Lynn Swann and Jerry Rice were not skilled wide recievers.

The quarterback must have skill in order to run the offense efficiently. Dan Marino and John Elway are evidence of this. BTW, Joe Montanna quaterbacked the San Francisco 49ers to four Superbowl championships during the 80's. John Madden is the former coach of the Okland Raiders during the 70's. He's the most famous color commentator in NFL history, working alongside Pat Summerall for many years in the CBS booth. He currently does commentary alongside the play-by-play of Al Michaels on ABC's Monday Night Fooball.

One last note. Many British people are aware of William (refrigerator) Perry because of a British tv spot that he appeared in during the mid-80's. The spot was an advertisment for (what else) refrigerators. In 1985 the Chicago Bears and the Dallas Cowboys met in London for an exibhition game at Wimbley stadium. The British press literally swarmed on Perry as did the fans at Wimbley before and after the game. That spot had made him a household name in the UK.
That was one of a series of annual exhibition games they called the "American Bowl".

http://www.britballnow.co.uk/History...%20history.htm
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 1:31 am

Pigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant future

I can't stand football. A bunch of hairy men throwing a bag of air across a field for 3 hours!

However, I DO go to the parties to hang out with friends and hopefully be amused by the adverts. I always get invited to the best parties too....something to do with the fact that I can provide free beer I think!
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 2:07 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

yeah, but those other sports do have a world presence that are well known globally, unlike yankie footie....which doesn't...even baseball has a larger world audience..at least it's played in cuba and japan....one thing that amuses me, if the US played Canada in the footie, would they be imperial or metric field like the Canadians use? Any ideas?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.