Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Do you live in an "english" neighbourhood?

Do you live in an "english" neighbourhood?

Old Apr 4th 2008, 6:16 pm
Illinois Rapscallion

Circus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you live in an "english" neighbourhood?

99% white in this town of 4000 ...that figure changes yearly depending on Eureka College ...A few black families have moved here from the bigger towns of Peoria or Bloomington but they never seem to settle....and are gone within 12 months. People here don't seem outwardly racial but they are ....the conversations in the local bars at the moment over Obama would make a BNP meeting look like a bunch of raving left wingers .....and to think he is from Illinois
Old Apr 4th 2008, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

ukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Ridski
I lived in an "Irish" neighbourhood, too. There weren't many people left in it I would consider Irish, though. Most of them were second or third gen Irish-Americans. The fact is the original post is rather misleading for us in the US, and the OP hasn't come back to explain, so we're attempting to interpret the intention of the question.

There aren't many British ex-pat communities like there are in, say, Spain, or Dubai, where it's all primarily English (or British) people. There are probably a lot of areas, like the one I live in, that (like yours) has a lot of Brits living in it, but my local 'hood is diverse. I was in my local pub one night and bumped into an Indian woman who came from Coventry, where I lived for 9 years, and the place I went to dinner last night is run by a guy from Liverpool. But it's not like we ever socialize as a group and hold rounds of whist while the gentlemen retire to the parlour for port and cigars.
That's one segment of people I have RARELY seen here in 20 years, Indians.

No, I don't mean the Red Indians, Indians from India / Pakistan.

Maybe seen one or two in my town in 20 years.

Seen a few more at the tourists spots, in San Diego, but, then they look like tourists and not residents.

Maybe as I'm so far from England, perhaps places like New York thats much closer has a larger population.

13 hour plane trip is a Big put off !! LOL
Old Apr 4th 2008, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukelaine

Seen a few more at the tourists spots, in San Diego, but, then they look like tourists and not residents.

Maybe as I'm so far from England, perhaps places like New York thats much closer has a larger population.

Got to say, while its not exactly Bradford, there seems to be quite a few round here; in fact, we're off for an Indian tonight - a (newish) one has opened up and has thus far slipped the radar, so going to see if its any good or not...
Old Apr 4th 2008, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to behold

Ha ha, you talk as if Indians come from England?

I work in IT and a large percentage of my colleagues are Indian, and my local curry house also seems to attract a large amount of Indian customers, but where I live is like the Truman Show.

Last edited by Longy; Apr 4th 2008 at 7:42 pm.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 7:37 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

I do live in an "English" neighborhood. According to the local Amish....
Old Apr 4th 2008, 7:44 pm
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
I do live in an "English" neighborhood. According to the local Amish....
ABY Wins the thread.

Old Apr 4th 2008, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

ukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Longy
Ha ha, you talk as if Indians come from England?

I work in IT and a large percentage of my colleagues are Indian, and my local curry house also seems to attract a large amount of Indian customers, but where I live is like the Truman Show.
Well, the few Indians I have met here all DID originate from England and not India

Since I left the UK (20 years ago) I understand the new immigrate population are Croatians and people from that area.

There's no curry house in my town !! LOL

I think the nearest may be in San Diego.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

hulk_hogan is an unknown quantity at this point

UK is brimming with new Polish immigrants
Old Apr 4th 2008, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Here in Lake County IL we have a massive Indian population. They work mostly in the IT industry. My husband loves it because they understand his humor a bit better than the American colleagues!
Old Apr 5th 2008, 2:25 am
Forum Regular

Nottinghill is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hulk_hogan
What is your neighbourhood like?

I watch a doc where and a police officier talked about the old days and the melting pot of Chicago. Accoding to him now people live in segregation, black neighbourhoods, white and hispanic.
One of the reasons why ethnic minorities in UK learn English very quickly is because the British public is 'cultured' to make a real effort to be friendly and jovial to ALL people "new" to the yard.Another side of this being that all new arrivals are given to understand that their future success does have to do with the way they communicate and relate to others.This is not as evident in North America.Consequntly there are fewer friendships across ethnic groups I expect and more enclaves with no practical knowledge of the English language. maybe because unlike a Brit, a North American, new or old, takes no pride in giving anything off himself to those down from his position.
Old Apr 5th 2008, 2:53 am

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

We live in a predominantly African American sub division we found it by accident, liked it and as it refects my husbands heritage were happy to move here, he lived in predominantly white areas for the 7 years he was in England.

I saw a sign yesterday advertising a community day to celebrate our diversity, apparently there will be food from all the nations represented, among many flags on the sign was a Union Jack!! - i am so excited cos its definitely not me bringing the fish n chips
Old Apr 5th 2008, 3:12 am
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nottinghill
One of the reasons why ethnic minorities in UK learn English very quickly is because the British public is 'cultured' to make a real effort to be friendly and jovial to ALL people "new" to the yard.
Hmm...
Old Apr 5th 2008, 3:13 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
Hmm...
Its OK ..just more bollocks
Old Apr 5th 2008, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

Nottinghill is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ray
Its OK ..just more bollocks
I guess you have just proven me wrong.
Old Apr 5th 2008, 12:35 pm
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sime303
I haven't lived in an "English" neighbourhood since I think the town I live in was years ago featured on 20/20 or something like that (people tell me this and are still proud about it to this day) for having the most alcohol consumption per capita anywhere in the US.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.