Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Do you have a swimming pool

Do you have a swimming pool

Old Oct 17th 2006, 2:59 pm
Vegas Baby

vegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Do you have a swimming pool

When I was buying a house in the states my number 1 requirement was that it had a swimming pool. After 2 years of living with it I came to the conclusion that it was a real pain in the Ar-e. I cleaned it every day but a few hours later it had dirt floating on top or on the bottom. You had to buy chemicals every week and you had 2 pumps running all day filtering the water really pushing the electric bill up. At first we used it quite often but at the end it was hardly used at all. When I moved last year my number 1 requirement was that the house did not have a swimming pool. It has been bliss not having to look at it anymore. how many people here have a swimming pool and given the choice would you have one again.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 3:02 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you have a swimming pool

Originally Posted by vegas
When I was buying a house in the states my number 1 requirement was that it had a swimming pool. After 2 years of living with it I came to the conclusion that it was a real pain in the Ar-e. I cleaned it every day but a few hours later it had dirt floating on top or on the bottom. You had to buy chemicals every week and you had 2 pumps running all day filtering the water really pushing the electric bill up. At first we used it quite often but at the end it was hardly used at all. When I moved last year my number 1 requirement was that the house did not have a swimming pool. It has been bliss not having to look at it anymore. how many people here have a swimming pool and given the choice would you have one again.
No pools, no hot tubs for these very reasons...too busy and too lazy
Old Oct 17th 2006, 3:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Love our pool...unfortunately we only get to use it 3 to 4 months of the year. My husband would agree with you.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Oct 17th 2006 at 3:38 pm.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 3:32 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

No pool here.

got a pool table in the basement of the place I am renting though......which is nice
Old Oct 17th 2006, 3:37 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Manc
No pool here.

got a pool table in the basement of the place I am renting though......which is nice
Hot tub, or Hot pool as the kiddies call it. It was left by the previous owners, about 5 years old and as I found out the pumps last about 7 years....

I am putting a small pond in, but will probably be no more that 600 gallons.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 3:47 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Hardly anyone around here has a pool, too many trees/leaves.
Although each sub division has a swimming club with an outdoor pool, which costs a bloody fortune to join, so we never bothered.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 3:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Borrow the neighbours next day, then we dont have to clean it, just use it!
Old Oct 17th 2006, 3:52 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

That's why people have pool maintenance services to do it for them.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 3:52 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Nope. And nor would I have one knowing what a PIA they are.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 3:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

I would dearly love my own pool being as it's my favorite form of excise, well apart from the obvious But like you say you dont know what a pain it can be till you've bought the T shirt.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 4:01 pm
sun lover

sambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond repute

Have pool and hot-tub, wouldn't be without it.

No more difficult that cleaning the house, the 5 minutes later the kids and husband have trashed it

Old Oct 17th 2006, 4:35 pm
Vegas Baby

vegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
That's why people have pool maintenance services to do it for them.
I thought of that but they only come once a week so I can only imagine the state of the pool at the end of the week.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 4:40 pm
Hull lass

workboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond repute

We don't have one. Unless you count the cat/kittens water dishes which I keep stepping in
Old Oct 17th 2006, 5:20 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I clean my filter every two weeks, (10 mins) Use a auto vac to clean it all the time ..
Use Salt instead of chlorine ...... add a quart of muratic if needed every two weeks ..

Why two pumps?? .....

I spend 5 or 10 mins a week on pool maintenance ..
Old Oct 17th 2006, 5:23 pm
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

Any recommendations on Auto Vacs Ray? I'm thinking about getting one as I don't have the figure to be Mrs Titchskis cabana boy anymore

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.