Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Do you have satellite radio?

Wikiposts

Do you have satellite radio?

Old Jul 5th 2007, 9:16 am
Paul

smeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud of
Default Re: Do you have satellite radio?

I bought an XM radio, not thinking it would be worth the effort.

I've now got a second radio and a boom box on the way for my wifes car!

I commute 100 miles a day, it's a great think to not have to listen to the same CDs over and over, or even dig through my ipod for the same music over and over.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 9:49 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I swear by my Sirius radio.

Love listening to Radio 1 again.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 11:36 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I tried them a few times while in rental cars. I liked Sirus because it offerred stations that I had heard (i.e. some variety) and XM was starting to move into that world as well. When it was all their own content, it eventually got a bit 'canned' where the music started to feel kind of the same. There are a lot of channels, but people who listen to the 'Truckers Channel' aren't necessarily going to switch to the Techno channel.

If you download AOL's Radio player (free) you can get a taste of some of the XM stations which are rebroadcast there.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 7:11 am
BE Enthusiast

dinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to behold

Right now, you have to choose which provider - there may well be a future merger, but you cannot count on it. I have Sirius - when I made my decision it was because I thought its "talk" content was better - it carried 3 public radio channels (2xNPR + PRI), BBC WS and World Radio Network. However, NPR is neutered as there's no Morning Edition or All Things Considered, and the BBC WS is restricted to mainly news. They have since dropped PRI and WRN is usurped for sports events. I believe XM have a lot of PRI content now, and the non-exclusively news BBC WS.

However, Sirius have added (since I started) lots of footie - usually 3 premier league games every Saturday, Chelsea and Celtic games (not exactly worked out the details), 6-0-6 and some US-based footie call-in show. And then they added Radio One on 5 hour delay a couple of years or so back, which, despite all its faults, is

Otherwise, the Sirius music channels are mediocre - too many have very narrow playlists, which leads to way too much repetition. I believe XM has deeper playlists.

Therefore would recommend Sirius to expats who want footie and R1. If music is more important, you may prefer XM. But it's definitely subjective