Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

[Q]Speeding convictions in a different state

[Q]Speeding convictions in a different state

Old Jul 3rd 2007, 10:25 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point
Default [Q]Speeding convictions in a different state

My wife had a Texas drivers license (for the past 6 years) and got speeding ticket issued in Tennessee last year.
When we applied for auto insurance here last week in California it apparently was not on her Texas drivers record. She went to DMV today and swapped her TX license for a CA license. I called the insurance agent to advise of her new license number.
He just called back and said he ran her new license and it shows her 2006 conviction (so they want to put the premium up by $400 a year).
How did this happen? How do out of state convictions work and were did California get this information from if it wasn't on her TX record.
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 11:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: [Q]Speeding convictions in a different state

Texas... a law unto itself....
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 11:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter received a speeding ticket in New York State a couple of years ago. She didn't receive any points and our insurance premiums weren't increased. As I understand it...quite often if the ticket was issued out of state and it's paid on time the authorities don't notify your home state's DMV. Although that doesn't answer why it has been picked up now...sorry.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 1:19 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pony
My wife had a Texas drivers license (for the past 6 years) and got speeding ticket issued in Tennessee last year.
When we applied for auto insurance here last week in California it apparently was not on her Texas drivers record. She went to DMV today and swapped her TX license for a CA license. I called the insurance agent to advise of her new license number.
He just called back and said he ran her new license and it shows her 2006 conviction (so they want to put the premium up by $400 a year).
How did this happen? How do out of state convictions work and were did California get this information from if it wasn't on her TX record.
Don't know the answer but why don't you ask the insurance agent and let us know.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 1:35 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like the insurance company ran her name and license through a country wide DMV search and pulled up her Tennessee infraction. Not surprising. My NJ ticket back in 1979 never showed up on my NY license and yet GEICO knew about it for insurance premium purposes.

Old Jul 4th 2007, 3:52 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

You might try googling NRVC. Also DLC (Driver's License Compact). Parts of Canada also participate.

Last edited by AdobePinon; Jul 4th 2007 at 3:58 am.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 6:32 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

I was informed a few months ago that this whole "out of state" ticket thing is gradually getting abolished and centralised so no matter where you get a ticket....you get the points too. Apparently my NYS drivers licence will be endorsed with points if I get stopped in ANY other state and also in Quebec and Ontario.

Was told this at a defensive driving course I took to get 4 points dropped of my licence....another load of cobblers as the insurance companies still count the points for a further 12 to 18 months AFTER they have been removed from your licence.

I don't actually 100% believe this but Im too lazy to check it out with the DMV myself.

Insurance companies......just like ****ing lawyers. Thieving bastards.

Still, I'll be laughing last when my car catches fire next month.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 4:46 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
Was told this at a defensive driving course I took to get 4 points dropped of my licence....another load of cobblers as the insurance companies still count the points for a further 12 to 18 months AFTER they have been removed from your licence.
The trick around here is to do the class to prevent the points being added in the first place. Which means that you take the citation to court, because as long as the court is dealing with it, DMV doesn't know what's going on. Then you take the class, court is happy, and zero points get reported back to DMV. I'm sure it varies by state, but in NM you should never pay the fine or admit guilt until you've given the judge a chance to reduce the penalty. Also, the correct plea here is 'no contest', assuming the cop shows up and you're backed into a corner. 'Guilty' usually lands you with the penalty assigned by the officer.

Last edited by AdobePinon; Jul 4th 2007 at 4:51 pm.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 6:29 pm

The agent scanned and emailed me the report he got on her license. The report appears to be from Farmers insurance own system, so who knows where it gathers the information from.
He ran her Texas license number again and it is still showing as no tickets.

I did a bit of googling and it appears you have a centralized drivers record. Perhaps Texas would have picked up on the speeding ticket the next time she renewed her Texas license. Maybe each states DMV only request a drivers record at renewal (or new application), which would explain why it showed on her new record now.

It makes sense to have a central record for drivers licenses, so someone banned for DUI etc could not simply get a new license from a different state. It would be a lot of work to constantly update all 50 states whenever one state issued a ticket. So perhaps the onus is on the issuing states DMV to request an update. That is my best guess anyway...

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Don't know the answer but why don't you ask the insurance agent and let us know.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 6:38 pm

I am not sure if this is an insurance company policy or a state policy. I am with Farmers insurance; I was ticketed a couple of years back and sat the 6 hour defensive driving course (online). The net result was a reduction in my insurance fee - as I now held a defensive driver course (I was in Texas at the time and using a Texas Farmers insurance policy). Talk about rewarding bad behavior!!!
I just completed the paperwork for Farmers insurance here in CA and the declaration, when asking to list driving violations states I must list them unless "other than violations that were dismissed and made confidential after attendance at a school for traffic violators or other court approved program", it refers you to:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d02/vc1808_7.htm
What does your state say regarding this?

Old Jul 4th 2007, 7:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

There is a national drivers record, but it's only supposed to be for people who have had their licenses revoked or suspended or have been done for DUI or other serious driving convictions. Unless she was doing like 120 in a 25, I doubt a speeding ticket would cut it. It may not be on a driving record, but there will be some record of it out there and you can be sure that an insurance company will find it.
Old Jul 7th 2007, 12:03 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

NYS DMV: Out-of-state traffic violations: Except for Ontario and Quebec, points are not added to your NYS driver record if you commit an out-of-state traffic violation. Points can appear on your NYS driver record if you commit a traffic violation in Ontario or Quebec.
someone banned for DUI etc could not simply get a new license from a different state.
I'm sure plenty of people do this all the time, but iirc (at least in my state) you're not allowed to have an out of state license if you're resident here, so that would already be illegal. But it would be hard to check unless something went wrong, in which case they'd get the book thrown at them.
Old Jul 7th 2007, 6:06 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
My daughter received a speeding ticket in New York State a couple of years ago. She didn't receive any points and our insurance premiums weren't increased. As I understand it...quite often if the ticket was issued out of state and it's paid on time the authorities don't notify your home state's DMV. Although that doesn't answer why it has been picked up now...sorry.
Insurance companies dont check licenses **every renewal**
I mean they just can't, too many policy holder and too little underwriters to do it.
They only run an MVR if they have reason to........
like moving to a new state.
Old Jul 7th 2007, 6:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Still, I'll be laughing last when my car catches fire next month.
You're too much, Rushman.......
Old Jul 7th 2007, 6:36 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
You're too much, Rushman.......
Is my fly open?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.