Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Do you have a replayTV or Tivo ?

View Poll Results: Do you have a Digital Recorder
Do you have a digital recorder (PVR/DVR)
80.77%
Will you ever get one
15.38%
Will you NEVER get one
3.85%
Do you know what a PVR really does
11.54%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Do you have a replayTV or Tivo ?

Old Aug 18th 2005, 3:03 am
I love Marmite, she don't

franc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to behold
Exclamation Do you have a replayTV or Tivo ?

A quick poll, do you have a digital recorder ? I noticed the other thread about commercials and cannot work out why everyone who watches TV doesn't have one. The advantages :

*. No more adverts.
*. Instant on to watch whatever has recorded anytime without searching
*. remembers where you left off watching and continues
*. stores recordings forever - if you want
*. Set to record a series automatically (i.e. record bbc news at 6am every day), keep only the last nn recordings
* records whilst away for weeks
* record stuff for the hell of it in case there's nothing better on later (i record repeats between 12am and 6pm), I only watch 10% of what I record but at least it's an option.
* if you are watching something live and want to go to bed. Press one button and go to bed and watch later.
* watching something live, phone rings, press pause

There's just no excuse not to have one if you watch TV

Last edited by franc111s; Aug 18th 2005 at 3:06 am.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 3:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you have a replayTV or Tivo ?

Originally Posted by franc111s
A quick poll, do you have a digital recorder ? I noticed the other thread about commercials and cannot work out why everyone who watches TV doesn't have one. The advantages :

*. No more adverts.
*. Set to record a series automatically (i.e. record bbc news at 6am every day), keep only the last nn recordings
* record stuff for the hell of it in case there's nothing better on later (i record repeats between 12am and 6pm), I only watch 10% of what I record but at least it's an option.
* if you are watching something live and want to go to bed. Press one button and go to bed and watch later.

I have one with Comcast - the kind that doesn't cut out the adverts for you - its very nice, but I wouldn't say its that good.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 3:45 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It's to expensive to get, would require moving to a minimum of a 12 month contract from no contract, and if we move, a large cancelling fee, don't watch enough tv here to make it worthwhile because a lot of it is shite, and when tv is good, i'd rather just grumble about the commercials because i'm a miserable git, or so i've been told.

or just record them and watch them later, which we normally do because the hours the missus works, i can't be arsed to watch shows twice but also advantages of quick downloads of shows without ad's and good quality.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 3:50 am
BE Enthusiast

britchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud of

We have TiVo and love it! Couldn't do without it now!
Old Aug 18th 2005, 3:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
It's to expensive to get, would require moving to a minimum of a 12 month contract from no contract, and if we move, a large cancelling fee, don't watch enough tv here to make it worthwhile because a lot of it is shite, and when tv is good, i'd rather just grumble about the commercials because i'm a miserable git, or so i've been told.

or just record them and watch them later, which we normally do because the hours the missus works, i can't be arsed to watch shows twice but also advantages of quick downloads of shows without ad's and good quality.
I guess I should check the cancellation options 'cause I'm moving. But the monthly rental was only an extra $10.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 3:55 am
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

we had DVR from the get go here - cost us $10/month and when the HD version came out it was the same price... so I have HD DVR (60Hours)... woohoo for "family guy" in 1080i

andy
Old Aug 18th 2005, 4:56 am
Here we go Pittsburgh!

ukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond repute

*. No more adverts.

I have 2 tivos - wouldn;t go back.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 5:07 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

The DVR from the cable company is somewhat cheaper but TiVo is more user-friendly.

What gets on my tits is that you have to have a digital converter box to turn the digital channels into analogue to input into an analogue telly. The DVR from the cable company can be built into the converter box giving it an advantage over TiVo. If you want to watch the digital channels, you not only pay the monthly subscription for the channels, but are forced to either get 1) the digital converter at $10 per month; or 2) the converter/DVR at $19 a month.

Why can't one just BUY the freakin' converter?!
Old Aug 18th 2005, 5:10 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

We got it with Dishnetwork

It's not three bad at all.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 5:21 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I guess I should check the cancellation options 'cause I'm moving. But the monthly rental was only an extra $10.
you might not have to, I live in maine, there's bugger all competition and they screw us royally...goes for phone companies and all.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 5:48 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

*. No more adverts.

I'm very much a ditzy bird when it comes to techhie stuff (and cars) but I really want to buy my husband one of these things for Christmas but have no idea where to start.
All I want is something that cuts out the adverts.
I think he would like something like you listed above, that records all the stuff for you and remembers where you left off.
We have basic extended cable included in our rent, so I really don't want to pay any more every month for a service.
Do I just go to Best Buy and get a Tivo box and that's it?
Old Aug 18th 2005, 5:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Sarah
I'm very much a ditzy bird when it comes to techhie stuff (and cars) but I really want to buy my husband one of these things for Christmas but have no idea where to start.
All I want is something that cuts out the adverts.
I think he would like something like you listed above, that records all the stuff for you and remembers where you left off.
We have basic extended cable included in our rent, so I really don't want to pay any more every month for a service.
Do I just go to Best Buy and get a Tivo box and that's it?
I believe TiVo requires a subscription and it's not built in (I think). The cable provider probably does a cheaper version, but it won't cut out the adverts - but I skip them with the 30 second skip feature.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 7:33 am
BE Enthusiast

britchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud of

You buy the TiVo box (from $99) and then either a monthly fee or a one time off fee. ($12 vs 299)
Old Aug 18th 2005, 8:27 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I believe TiVo requires a subscription and it's not built in (I think). The cable provider probably does a cheaper version, but it won't cut out the adverts - but I skip them with the 30 second skip feature.
So none of them get rid of the adverts?
Old Aug 18th 2005, 8:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Sarah
So none of them get rid of the adverts?
TiVo does, but it's not integrated with the cable box.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.