Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Do you enjoy living in America more than the UK?

Do you enjoy living in America more than the UK?

Old May 23rd 2008, 7:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you enjoy living in America more than the UK?

Originally Posted by barrylynch
You are Correct Lays owns Walkers , but that brings me to another thing i am now starting to see , portion control crisp bags..
Yes a new idea over here , a bag of crisps for one , instead of a bag big enough to feed a whole family.
Next thing you know they will start thinking about combi-boilers instead of hot water tanks ... opps yes another new idea
Portion control?
Attached Thumbnails Do you enjoy living in America more than the UK?-laguna004.jpg  
Old May 24th 2008, 1:28 am
Just Joined

Blue.angel is an unknown quantity at this point

It depends on! If I want to share the High-Tech,such as IT, Digital products,......I will choose USA. And the UK has the long history and rich culture!

Chinablueangel
Old May 24th 2008, 2:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart
Lay's are'nt even close to Walkers. Pringles have a few half decent flavors, and don't leave a big greasy mess all over everything like other American crisps.
We usually get Pringles, we can usually find them cheaper than any other crisps.
Old May 24th 2008, 2:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bevinva
When I came over here my ex SIL (whose grandparents had come from Italy and Lebanon) asked me "what I was". I replied "English", and she kept asking what else, took her a while to get her head around it. ex MIL described my oldest to a friend as half Italian, half Lebanese and some English! Pissed her right off when I corrected the maths, she didn't like me much.
My hub's ex described herself as Italian, she had never even been there. Apparently, she couldn't even put a frozen pizza in the oven without burning it.
Old May 26th 2008, 2:10 am
Forum Regular

uktoamerica is a name known to alluktoamerica is a name known to alluktoamerica is a name known to alluktoamerica is a name known to alluktoamerica is a name known to alluktoamerica is a name known to alluktoamerica is a name known to alluktoamerica is a name known to alluktoamerica is a name known to alluktoamerica is a name known to alluktoamerica is a name known to all

Yes, mostly.. been here for nearly 2 years now... and thanks to the local World Market I can get most of the things I miss food wise... my Brit telly from thebox.bz... Sirius satellite radio for Radio one....

But.... I am (no joke) having weekly dreams about finding stacks of daily UK newspapers... This is, excluding my lovely parents, the single most thing I miss from the UK. The newspapers in this country are awful... I want quality cheesy tabloid rubbish and my glossy mags as found in the Sunday newspapers!

But here in North Carolina, I am loving the weather, the service, the free refills, the weather, did I mention the weather yet? The outlook of people in general...

Oh.. I do miss real fish and chips.... forgot about that.....

Maybe I will have to move to either Florida or New York to get the things I miss... because God knows I ain't moving back to the UK for them
Old May 26th 2008, 3:37 am
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uktoamerica
Yes, mostly.. been here for nearly 2 years now... and thanks to the local World Market I can get most of the things I miss food wise... my Brit telly from thebox.bz... Sirius satellite radio for Radio one....

But.... I am (no joke) having weekly dreams about finding stacks of daily UK newspapers... This is, excluding my lovely parents, the single most thing I miss from the UK. The newspapers in this country are awful... I want quality cheesy tabloid rubbish and my glossy mags as found in the Sunday newspapers!

But here in North Carolina, I am loving the weather, the service, the free refills, the weather, did I mention the weather yet? The outlook of people in general...

Maybe I will have to move to either Florida or New York to get the things I miss... because God knows I ain't moving back to the UK for them
I think you can get the newspapers in Florida.
Old May 26th 2008, 3:54 am
Whatacomplete Member

koogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond repute

Family, friends and a donner-on-naan when I'm drunk.
Nothing else I miss really.
Old May 26th 2008, 12:52 pm
Just Joined

barrylynch is just really nicebarrylynch is just really nicebarrylynch is just really nicebarrylynch is just really nicebarrylynch is just really nicebarrylynch is just really nicebarrylynch is just really nicebarrylynch is just really nicebarrylynch is just really nicebarrylynch is just really nice

Originally Posted by surly
Portion control?
Thats what the manufacturers call it when you get smaller measures . Smuckers also call it the same for the small breakfast plastic jam packs you get on the table , or the ketchup saschets you get
Old May 26th 2008, 12:57 pm
Just Joined

barrylynch is just really nicebarrylynch is just really nicebarrylynch is just really nicebarrylynch is just really nicebarrylynch is just really nicebarrylynch is just really nicebarrylynch is just really nicebarrylynch is just really nicebarrylynch is just really nicebarrylynch is just really nice

Florida is good , i never used to frequent the british pubs their when i lived in the UK and went on holiday , but now we take advantage . They must think were crazy as we dive into packs of Quavers and Wocester sauce falvoured walkers crisps., whilst the kids glug down a jug of Robinsons blackcurrent juice.
If you are polite and play the "i am an expat two" the owners are very helpful , last time they pointed me towards a wholesale place near the florida mall where you can buy bulk purchaes of british foods , rather then pay $1.50 for each pack of crisps.
Old May 26th 2008, 4:17 pm
Banned

Anthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud of

The newspapers in this country are awful... I want quality cheesy tabloid rubbish and my glossy mags as found in the Sunday newspapers!

Yeah, that's what I really like too, the outlook of the people. Makes a big difference to your day-to-day life, instead of looking at glum faces going to work every day.

By the way, Borders have UK newspapers that you can quitely read in their cosy armchairs and not have to buy!! or buy them if you must.
Old May 26th 2008, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

uktoamerica is a name known to alluktoamerica is a name known to alluktoamerica is a name known to alluktoamerica is a name known to alluktoamerica is a name known to alluktoamerica is a name known to alluktoamerica is a name known to alluktoamerica is a name known to alluktoamerica is a name known to alluktoamerica is a name known to alluktoamerica is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Anthony919
By the way, Borders have UK newspapers that you can quitely read in their cosy armchairs and not have to buy!! or buy them if you must.
Is that the one near Ballantyne? They are a few days late, sadly.... Not like in Florida and New York when you can get them the same day of print....

Mind you, I am subscribed to the Weekly Telegraph which has week old news in it
Old May 26th 2008, 8:16 pm
Ivegotta Member

Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I wouldnt confess to being an American if I had a choice! Maybe thats why they do it!

Originally Posted by KJ2007
This sentiment always makes me so sad to be honest. Unless you're a Native American, your ancestors came from somewhere. Most Americans have family stories of how their ancestors came over, why they came over, and many have traditions, etc. of those cultures that are still very much alive. We are proud of the fact that we're a melting pot community, and are proud of where our ancestors are from and how that history has shaped our lives and our country.

Example - a friend of mine would say she's Polish-American, I'm sure of it. She grew up in a Polish neighborhood in Toledo, eating Polish foods, attending a catholic church where the priest was Polish, studying Polish, etc. Heck - her wedding incorporated Polish traditions, as had all of those of her family. She doesn't literally mean she's a Polish citizen, but that background is very much a part of her identity. I'd never take that away from her.

So for what it's worth, think of it as a cultural difference ... or at least not a sentiment with any harm meant.
Old May 26th 2008, 8:22 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by surly
Portion control?
That looks like BigDavyG
Formerly of this Parish ..
Old May 26th 2008, 8:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Triumphrob
Yeah, I wouldnt confess to being an American if I had a choice! Maybe thats why they do it!
And yet you're here ...
Old May 26th 2008, 8:30 pm
Ivegotta Member

Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJ2007
And yet you're here ...
And Ive learnt how to say "Have a nice day" without meaning it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.