Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Do US schools expect more from parents?

Do US schools expect more from parents?

Old Aug 26th 2013, 11:45 am
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do US schools expect more from parents?

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
This one is quite annoying as it seems to generate a lot of potential waste...ours always seem to massively overorder on paper, glue sticks and pencils. The excess gets sent home at the end of the year.I have boxes and boxes of leftover paper and pencils that normally get donated to one of the local charities or women's shelters. One of our cub dens did a "service project" at one of the local schools ..... They were taking the leftover glue out of the glue stick holders, which were then recycled, and the glue was....don't know.....maybe ...turned back into horses? they recycled over 6000 glue sticks
Why not hang on to the returned stuff for the start of the next school year?
Old Aug 26th 2013, 11:53 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizzyq
Why not hang on to the returned stuff for the start of the next school year?
The first year, we used some of it over the summer, then sent most of the rest back in, thinking the teachers would be grateful....wrong! they complained that they end up with too much stuff, and not enough space.....overfunded anyone? I suggested that we could collect the spare stuff and take it to some of the schools in the poorer parts of the district that do struggle to get supplies, but that idea was poo-pooed by both the PTA and the school district.

I briefly thought about buying the supplies individually, rather than buying the packs though the school, but one look at the length of the supplies list (times 3 as each grade has different) and I decided savings weren't worth the the hassle. very "ungreen" of me, i know.... so now the charities reap the benefit.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clare8781
I have friends from the east coast who are routinely horrified by the public schools in California. Amazing when you consider the wealth around here, particularly in Silicon Valley.

This article explains why Maine has a better ratio - they rightly spend $14591 per pupil per year, California spends $8667...

http://www.nationaljournal.com/thene...atter-20121016
Very interesting. I had not realised the spending varied so widely...
Old Aug 26th 2013, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Here's a dumb question:

Do you have to buy your kid school supplies (pencils, scissors, notebooks, protractors, etc) in the UK? It's common in the US, with the Walmarts and stores having 'lists' of things each kid needs for school that year, but wasn't sure if that was done in the UK as well.

fwiw it's not done at my son's international school, but for the fees we pay they better not skimp on that sort of stuff.
No you don't generally in the UK. You send them in with some pens and pencils and protractors but the paper/books/glue/etc are provided.

In the UK you spend a fortune on school uniform instead, especially as the kids get to high school and need blazers etc. Theoretically schools can't force students to wear expensive uniform but in practice they often do.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 3:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
California's educational system has been messed up for eons. It was pure crap in the 80's and 90's when I went through it. Not even the teachers I encountered in 12 years of education were good, and back then the schools supplied most supplies still.

I still remember my History class in 11th grade, each day was a new movie loosely based on history. My Spanish teacher wasn't fluent in Spanish, so we mostly just repeated phrases from the book.

I didn't do well in math, so they pulled me out of math for high school.

The only teacher I can recall who actively taught, was my biology teacher.
Districts vary, as they do throughout the country. I found that California had pretty good schools. I was educated in California, but in the 70s, my older children were educated there as well. I think the schools we went to were good. However, like a lot of the country, education in California is pretty hit and miss, it depends highly on where you live.

I should add that when I went to school and when my older children went to school, there was no supplying the school with papers, pencils, crayons, etc. When we moved back from the UK and my youngest started in school (here in Washington) we were hit up with a "school supply list" In my naivety I thought it was just where we lived, but as I've come to find out it isn't.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 3:25 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kins
In the UK you spend a fortune on school uniform instead, especially as the kids get to high school and need blazers etc. Theoretically schools can't force students to wear expensive uniform but in practice they often do.
And how! Both my boys are at the same school and I foolishly thought that I would be able to pass on the PE kit - expensive, single supplier, all embroidered with school logo. Boys was I wrong, as younger son started they changed the PE kit so that year I had to buy 2 lots of it, as well as new blazers, etc. They have at least now relaxed the trouser regulations so I can buy from Asda not the school supplier. Also everything has to be named, but not once has a lost but named uniform item made its way back home.

Last edited by lizzyq; Aug 26th 2013 at 3:26 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Aug 26th 2013, 5:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizzyq
And how! Both my boys are at the same school and I foolishly thought that I would be able to pass on the PE kit - expensive, single supplier, all embroidered with school logo. Boys was I wrong, as younger son started they changed the PE kit so that year I had to buy 2 lots of it, as well as new blazers, etc. They have at least now relaxed the trouser regulations so I can buy from Asda not the school supplier. Also everything has to be named, but not once has a lost but named uniform item made its way back home.
Where my kids went, you could buy the logo'd stuff or the plain equivalent in school colours.

Since moving here, I have definitely come to see the benefit of school uniform. What to wear has occupied too much of my daughter's attention over the years.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 5:40 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Since moving here, I have definitely come to see the benefit of school uniform. What to wear has occupied too much of my daughter's attention over the years.
Bloody right. Plus it would help avoid exchanges like this:

Me - "Oi, it's 7:00, get your arse ready for school."
Son - "I will ... (assorted grunts and whines)"

5 minutes later:

Son - "Where's my <<whatever it is he was looking for>>"
Me - "I don't know."
Son - "Didn't you wash it?"
Me - "Did you put it in the basket, or on the floor by the washing machine?"
Son - "No ..."
Me - "Then no, I didn't"
Son - "WHAT?!??!??!?!?!?!!!?! I wanted to wear that today. I hate you."
Me (sotto voce) - "Twunt".
Me - "Not my problem. Next time you know what to do."

Repeat as needed.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 6:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Where my kids went, you could buy the logo'd stuff or the plain equivalent in school colours.

Have to agree with you. It was funny, however, to see my younger daughter's reaction when we were buying school uniforms for her nieces this summer. She thought it was cruel punishment to have to wear uniforms! I did tell her had we never moved to the US she wouldn't have known the difference!
Old Aug 26th 2013, 6:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Bloody right. Plus it would help avoid exchanges like this:

Me - "Oi, it's 7:00, get your arse ready for school."
Son - "I will ... (assorted grunts and whines)"

5 minutes later:

Son - "Where's my <<whatever it is he was looking for>>"
Me - "I don't know."
Son - "Didn't you wash it?"
Me - "Did you put it in the basket, or on the floor by the washing machine?"
Son - "No ..."
Me - "Then no, I didn't"
Son - "WHAT?!??!??!?!?!?!!!?! I wanted to wear that today. I hate you."
Me (sotto voce) - "Twunt".
Me - "Not my problem. Next time you know what to do."

Repeat as needed.
Yeah the "hate you" would get a kick up the backside and an immediate lesson of how the washer machine works, he may or may not have use of the dryer depending on mood.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 6:22 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Yeah the "hate you" would get a kick up the backside and an immediate lesson of how the washer machine works, he may or may not have use of the dryer depending on mood.
I never have the energy at that time of the morning to administer kicks up the arse, so I tend to stick to verbal abuse until after lunch
Old Aug 26th 2013, 6:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I never have the energy at that time of the morning to administer kicks up the arse, so I tend to stick to verbal abuse until after lunch
Well whatever works, I can relate! But I hope you revisit that one later on!
Old Aug 26th 2013, 6:28 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Well whatever works, I can relate! But I hope you revisit that one later on!
It'll be something else entirely by then.

We have an arrangement whereby I will throw his stuff in with the normal loads (I don't fold it) but he has to make sure I have it, I won't go looking for dirty clothes so it's his problem if something doesn't get washed.

He can run his mouth off all he likes, I find it hugely amusing that he thinks I'm suddenly going to start giving ****s about what he thinks or says
Old Aug 27th 2013, 4:10 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect the schools expect more from the parents in terms of paperwork...in their first day packets that came home today, I had to fill in 11 forms for the Elementary kids (no 'family' submissions allowed, must be for individual students, and no photocopies allowed, so I had to do double duty on each of these). In the space of those 11 forms, I had to sign 12 times, enter my address 5 times, emergency contact 4 times, Medical insurance 4 times, kids had to sign 4 times (even my 8 year old!). I also had to write for each kid the names, grades and campuses of any siblings in the same school district. The above excluded the optional popcorn forms, PTA membership, spiritwear and yearbook order forms which I just couldn't be arsed with tonight....

For the JH level it was a bit easier - 10 forms, and only 8 signatures for me (still 4 for him), but there were extra forms for Band Performance permission slips, band uniforms and "optional" private lesson registration. The paperwork is a right royal pain in the arse - still stuck in the 1970's - have they not heard of computers!!!!!

Apparently not, because the last one I tried to do was enter our info (again!) in the online directory, but guess what - after all summer to get it ready, the link wasn't working - nice job!!

Rereading this, I think it should have gone in the what pissed you off thread....mods, pretty please....
Old Aug 27th 2013, 1:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
I suspect the schools expect more from the parents in terms of paperwork...in their first day packets that came home today, I had to fill in 11 forms for the Elementary kids (no 'family' submissions allowed, must be for individual students, and no photocopies allowed, so I had to do double duty on each of these). In the space of those 11 forms, I had to sign 12 times, enter my address 5 times, emergency contact 4 times, Medical insurance 4 times, kids had to sign 4 times (even my 8 year old!). I also had to write for each kid the names, grades and campuses of any siblings in the same school district. The above excluded the optional popcorn forms, PTA membership, spiritwear and yearbook order forms which I just couldn't be arsed with tonight....

For the JH level it was a bit easier - 10 forms, and only 8 signatures for me (still 4 for him), but there were extra forms for Band Performance permission slips, band uniforms and "optional" private lesson registration. The paperwork is a right royal pain in the arse - still stuck in the 1970's - have they not heard of computers!!!!!

Apparently not, because the last one I tried to do was enter our info (again!) in the online directory, but guess what - after all summer to get it ready, the link wasn't working - nice job!!

Rereading this, I think it should have gone in the what pissed you off thread....mods, pretty please....
The last few years our district has made the forms a bit easier (although the cost for junior high stuff this year made my eyes water!) The form that has the usual student information, ie.. parent's names, emergency contact is now already filled in and we look it over for mistakes, sign it and send it back. At least one less form to fill in!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.