Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Do I stay in the U.S. or do I return?

Wikiposts

Do I stay in the U.S. or do I return?

Old Dec 28th 2012, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Do I stay in the U.S. or do I return?

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
We came to the realization after Ds#2 decided he was going to follow his brother back to UK, that same year Dh nearly died he was so sick and still dragged himself into work using a cane and working very slowly, knowing that without his job he had no medical cover to see the doctors he was seeing, at his worst he took all his vacation days and floaters plus some sick days and lay on the couch, needed help to walk to the loo even and lost 40lbs. Once his meds kicked in he started to get a bit better and immediately went back to work.
At that point he decided family was more important that sunshine in summer, so here we are one left in school who will go to Primary in UK and two grown who are working.
I really never thought we'd go. But I know he means it when he put his beloved '70 Mustang up for sale the other day.
My son has already told me that he intends to go back when he is grown up. When life is going well the US is a great place to be but when you are sick and unable to work or you are out of work, life can so quickly fall apart - there is no safety net here. Because of the recession, I have taken jobs that do not necessarily have the best benefits - employers can get away with giving less and less which in turn takes away more time from family.

I really wanted to make this work but I don't want to be on a treadmill of working just to survive or compromising my children and putting work ahead of them as I know a lot of people do.
Old Dec 28th 2012, 11:46 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bromleygirl
My son has already told me that he intends to go back when he is grown up. When life is going well the US is a great place to be but when you are sick and unable to work or you are out of work, life can so quickly fall apart - there is no safety net here. Because of the recession, I have taken jobs that do not necessarily have the best benefits - employers can get away with giving less and less which in turn takes away more time from family.

I really wanted to make this work but I don't want to be on a treadmill of working just to survive or compromising my children and putting work ahead of them as I know a lot of people do.
Hi Bromleygirl, sounds like you have some tough decision-making on your hands. At least your children are open to the idea of moving to the UK - the "other" curse of the expat is when children, spouses, etc. don't want to move. I'm sorry to hear your main squeeze isn't interested in coming back, but as someone else said, your decision must be driven by what is good for you and your children.

The sentence I bolded just sums up the whole situation and highlights the biggest difficulty with choosing whether to live in the US. Pragmatically, the obvious thing to do would be to return. However, I can certainly identify with your feelings about how great the US can be when things are going well.

The security of the UK can be very attractive - but how do you feel about returning? Is it just the security that leads you to consider coming back, or would you be happy here? All other things being equal, I'd choose the positivity of life in the US, and the everyday outdoor opportunities there, over the UK - but it would be a big risk. Hence I am now torn - in fact am even thinking about the possibility of retiring early (in the UK), even though I would be financially disadvantaged by doing so. In the US, I never thought of myself as being anything but mid-career, and on the ascendence. Here, I feel like I am on the downhill slope to retirement.

You mention health care, and it's a valid issue. I have had more health problems since I came back, and part of me says in the US, this would have cost me a lot of money. However, in the US I almost never had health problems, so it wasn't an issue. I don't think it's a coincidence that I have been more ill here, by a long way, than when I lived in the US.

Sorry, didn't mean to make this about me, but I thought there were some parallels worth thinking about. I understand the dilemma you are in and even though the solution seems logical, doesn't mean it's an easy decision to make.
Old Dec 29th 2012, 1:22 am
Kit

kitmax is just really nicekitmax is just really nicekitmax is just really nicekitmax is just really nicekitmax is just really nicekitmax is just really nicekitmax is just really nicekitmax is just really nice

Has anyone taken their dog back to the UK from the US recently? I brought back my last dog in 2004 but I think there has been changes since then to the rules.
brought my dog back just last week, he moved out to WI with us in 2009, easier getting him to the US but we got him back to UK ok, just losts of paperwork and things to do before you leave, and it cost a lot with United
Old Dec 29th 2012, 4:42 am
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dunroving
Hi Bromleygirl, sounds like you have some tough decision-making on your hands. At least your children are open to the idea of moving to the UK - the "other" curse of the expat is when children, spouses, etc. don't want to move. I'm sorry to hear your main squeeze isn't interested in coming back, but as someone else said, your decision must be driven by what is good for you and your children.

The sentence I bolded just sums up the whole situation and highlights the biggest difficulty with choosing whether to live in the US. Pragmatically, the obvious thing to do would be to return. However, I can certainly identify with your feelings about how great the US can be when things are going well.

The security of the UK can be very attractive - but how do you feel about returning? Is it just the security that leads you to consider coming back, or would you be happy here? All other things being equal, I'd choose the positivity of life in the US, and the everyday outdoor opportunities there, over the UK - but it would be a big risk. Hence I am now torn - in fact am even thinking about the possibility of retiring early (in the UK), even though I would be financially disadvantaged by doing so. In the US, I never thought of myself as being anything but mid-career, and on the ascendence. Here, I feel like I am on the downhill slope to retirement.

You mention health care, and it's a valid issue. I have had more health problems since I came back, and part of me says in the US, this would have cost me a lot of money. However, in the US I almost never had health problems, so it wasn't an issue. I don't think it's a coincidence that I have been more ill here, by a long way, than when I lived in the US.

Sorry, didn't mean to make this about me, but I thought there were some parallels worth thinking about. I understand the dilemma you are in and even though the solution seems logical, doesn't mean it's an easy decision to make.
Thanks Dunroving, you are absolutely right - the positivity in the US was and still is one of the things that attracts me to being here. I remember when I returned to the UK I found that sense of looking forward and being upbeat to be lacking but I do think that maybe that has changed particularly with the sense of pride in being British shown for the jubilee and the olympics.

I enjoy the sunshine and being close to both beaches and mountains, things that we would not have in the UK. I have to ask myself is it all enough to keep me here? On balance although the UK weather can be awful there is Europe at your doorstep and the more annual leave would allow me to have more time with my children. Time and flexibility that allows me to have a balance between work and home is what I value the most. I have some wonderful friends back in the UK whom I miss a great deal and I miss the accessibility to culture, museums, countryside etc..

I'm not looking through rose-tinted specs though. I realise there are issues in the UK just as there are here in the US - not enough affordable housing, benefit society, etc. Besides work life balance and healthcare the whole gun control issue here worries me.

You ask if I would be happy back in the UK - when I was there I was content, had a good job, close to family, enjoyed time with my kids and friends but wanted more i.e. the big house and being closer to my boyfriend - long distance relationships are stressful and I wanted my children to have the opportunity to experience their other culture. I almost feel like I am doing a deal with the devil at the cost of time and work life balance to have the big house and sunshine.

Whatever I decide to do I need to make the decision within the first 6 months of this year so educationally my daughter is settled wherever we end up. I think I have still more sleepless nights and more grey hairs to come!
Old Dec 29th 2012, 4:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kitmax
brought my dog back just last week, he moved out to WI with us in 2009, easier getting him to the US but we got him back to UK ok, just losts of paperwork and things to do before you leave, and it cost a lot with United
Do you mind me asking how much exactly? I have been earning reward points so would use these to get myself and the kids back but the dog I would be paying for.
Old Dec 29th 2012, 7:10 am
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

I definitely agree with not looking through rose tinted specs, I have had really great advice from people on here which helped my decision to move back. My stuff is on a boat somewhere, my one way ticket is booked but, and I hate to admit it, I still have the odd pang of doubt!

For example I worked all over Xmas, was missing my family, hated the humidity of the tropics and was thinking oh I'm so fed up can't wait to go! Now I'm on days off, on the Sunshine Coast with my friend and his sister for new year and happy as but, here's the thing, they're both English!

Lucy only arrived yesterday from the UK, never met her before but we are getting on like a house on fire. Laughing, joking, singing along to old sings in the car and it's great cos when I make a joke or reference to something she knows what I'm talking about. I don't have to explain myself first and I'm loving her English sense of humour!

Now she loves it here, especially the sunshine, so I'm feeling her enthusiasm and thinking hmmmmm! Doubt! Then we get back from the pub last night and she tells me this is her last holiday for a while - why? Her Dad has just been diagnosed with cancer and she wants to be there for him. Automatically think , I'm so doing the right thing going home after all!

I think the worst thing is constantly wrestling with your decision. I lie awake at night hoping I'm doing the right thing but I won't know until I get there! I look back on some of my old posts on here sometimes and remind myself just how unhappy I have been here - that helps!

Good luck with your decision, it's never easy but sometimes you just have to go for it. Me? Back in June so just reading others posts atm to get a balanced view of UK life and when it's my turn I'll be posting about my experiences which will, hopefully, in turn help others. Let us know how you get on

Last edited by MissBetty; Dec 29th 2012 at 7:18 am.
Old Dec 29th 2012, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

Beccarose is a jewel in the roughBeccarose is a jewel in the roughBeccarose is a jewel in the roughBeccarose is a jewel in the rough

As any parent knows, children grow up way too quickly and I want to be able to have the time to spend with them before they are fully grown. The question is for me which is the best place to be in to enable me to do that and also to give them the best start in life?

Being a single parent I shoulder all of the responsibility of this decision which has caused me many a sleepless night for the last few weeks and months. I had thought when we moved back to the U.S. it was the right thing to do but I question now is it better to have a higher standard of living or a better quality of life?? Have others suffered with this same dilemma?
For me a better quality of life IS a higher standard of living.

What more explains a higher standard for living anyway? A bigger house? Fancier car? Higher paying job? More money to spend? Does that really count as a higher standard of living? For me it certainly does not. A higher standard of living is being able to actually spend time with the kids that you want to be able to spend time with before they are grown and gone. A higher standard of living is not being stuck in this rat race known as American employment.

I'd definitely say moving back to the UK in your situation.
Old Dec 29th 2012, 9:43 pm
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

There may be some of you who may remember my story. I originally was in the U.S. for 8 years, left a bad marriage and returned to the U.K. in 2004. Life was good there, my kids were able to spend their formative years going to primary school and becoming "British" - they are 50% USC but I always felt that one day I should bring them back to the U.S. to experience life here as well. After 6 years we finally made the move and relocated to California.

Great weather, more house than I could ever own in the U.K., both children doing very well in school and the opportunity to develop a relationship with a former flame. With all this comes the rub - employment and healthcare. As a single parent I have always valued the flexibility in a job to be able to work and manage appointments and simply have time with my children. In the U.K. I had 27 days annual leave and worked 37.5 hours/week. Here, it's 40 hours/week and 10 days vacation if you are lucky. I've found the work place less understanding, less flexible to the point that you are fearful to take time off or risk your job. Employees essentially have less rights here and everything including healthcare hinges on your job and employers know that. I have had a period of unemployment and not having healthcare is quite unsettling.

I'm seriously considering making the move back Summer 2013 so that my daughter can start year 10. If I do not make the move at this time she will miss the start of her last 2 years of school - it's basically a case of now or never. My son would be more than happy to move back as he very much identifies with being British. My daughter is happy either way although I know she would miss her friends. My boyfriend had previously said he would consider moving to the U.K. but has now said he wants to stay here and doesn't understand why I go back to the U.K. for a holiday every year.

As any parent knows, children grow up way too quickly and I want to be able to have the time to spend with them before they are fully grown. The question is for me which is the best place to be in to enable me to do that and also to give them the best start in life?

Being a single parent I shoulder all of the responsibility of this decision which has caused me many a sleepless night for the last few weeks and months. I had thought when we moved back to the U.S. it was the right thing to do but I question now is it better to have a higher standard of living or a better quality of life?? Have others suffered with this same dilemma?
Hours work... negative. vacation time... negative, workplace conditions... negative, healthcare... negative. Child (son) wants to move back, daughter at best neutral... YOU, everything I read is go.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 4:34 am
Kit

kitmax is just really nicekitmax is just really nicekitmax is just really nicekitmax is just really nicekitmax is just really nicekitmax is just really nicekitmax is just really nicekitmax is just really nice

Do you mind me asking how much exactly? I have been earning reward points so would use these to get myself and the kids back but the dog I would be paying for.
flights for the dog, 37lb in weight, was about $1200 flight including the handling by the company united use.
there were also the vet fees that made sure he would be allowed back, that was about $200
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 6:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

The only problem is the boyfriend, who doesn't sound that keen on a move.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 7:02 am
Account Closed

BritandDutchie is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm new on here and having a total "do we stay or go" debate ourselves. The lack of good healthcare with pre-exisiting in the USA is a major push to go and the lifestyle here.

Do love the sunshine, but LA had heaps more, but also more crime

I 100% dread flying so trips aren't really done, which makes it harder. No Family to live near makes it harder to choose.

We've looked at Europe more than the UK, 2 things though have us in a major ponder.

1. the doom and gloom in the UK/EU
2. The job market, we're shocked the IT market pays sometimes 75% LESS in the EU than the USA. That is a HUGE step down in income for only slightly less outgoings. (as living in a cheap middle of no where location is out of the question here or there)
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 7:21 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritandDutchie
I'm new on here and having a total "do we stay or go" debate ourselves. The lack of good healthcare with pre-exisiting in the USA is a major push to go and the lifestyle here.

Do love the sunshine, but LA had heaps more, but also more crime

I 100% dread flying so trips aren't really done, which makes it harder. No Family to live near makes it harder to choose.

We've looked at Europe more than the UK, 2 things though have us in a major ponder.

1. the doom and gloom in the UK/EU 2. The job market, we're shocked the IT market pays sometimes 75% LESS in the EU than the USA. That is a HUGE step down in income for only slightly less outgoings. (as living in a cheap middle of no where location is out of the question here or there)
If you read enough threads and posts in this area, you'll soon find people saying the same thing about the US. Be careful of believing media hype - only bad news seems to be "good" news these days, the media aren't that interested in reporting positive stuff. If we all believed what we read in the news, we'd be scared to live anywhere!

Don't believe all the UK/EU negativity hype - there are lots of people who have come back to the UK and are perfectly happy and positive, no doom or gloom in sight. Look for posts from SallySimmmons and Jasper123 for some good news.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 7:30 am
Account Closed

BritandDutchie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dunroving
If you read enough threads and posts in this area, you'll soon find people saying the same thing about the US. Be careful of believing media hype - only bad news seems to be "good" news these days, the media aren't that interested in reporting positive stuff. If we all believed what we read in the news, we'd be scared to live anywhere!

Don't believe all the UK/EU negativity hype - there are lots of people who have come back to the UK and are perfectly happy and positive, no doom or gloom in sight. Look for posts from SallySimmmons and Jasper123 for some good news.
Sadly the job market still sucks. I've been looking more EU than UK but I do hear more rescission hype on the BBC than I do here.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 8:50 am
BE Enthusiast

I have decided to develop parallel scenarios: The first being that we decide to stay here in the US and doing everything I need to have in place with the other working out a possible timeline, work , school for the UK. It's going to take the next few months to figure out and for us to take up time and weigh all the options before making a final decision.

Has anyone moved back with teenagers from the US to UK here? If so how have they found adjusting to being back in the UK, new school etc? How have they found the differences in education?
Old Jan 14th 2013, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

JBYoung6 is just really niceJBYoung6 is just really niceJBYoung6 is just really niceJBYoung6 is just really niceJBYoung6 is just really niceJBYoung6 is just really niceJBYoung6 is just really niceJBYoung6 is just really nice

Move back. I've been here for 12years in So Cal and can't waait to get away. Sunshine everyday doesn't make up for what I'm missing. Sense of community, free healthcare, guaranteed paid holiday with pretty much any job which ultimately equates to more family time.
Like I said I've been here 12years and hope to move back this summer- all being well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.