British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Do I need to update SSN with Permanent Residency? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/do-i-need-update-ssn-permanent-residency-938846/)

Anthony_M_Smith May 28th 2021 4:02 pm

Do I need to update SSN with Permanent Residency?

Hi -

Sorry if this has been asked before. I searched but couldn’t find my specific answer!

Does anyone know if upon receiving a green card any updates are needed with social security if I already have a SSN? I’ve had a social security since moving to the US on a non-permanent visa. This week I received my permanent residency card and just want to make sure I’m updating all required places (employer records etc!)

Thanks in advance!
Anthony

Noorah101 May 28th 2021 4:06 pm

Re: Do I need to update SSN with Permanent Residency?

Yes. You should update your record with SS and get a SS card without the legend saying you need work authorization.

Rene

Anthony_M_Smith May 28th 2021 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 13011604)
Yes. You should update your record with SS and get a SS card without the legend saying you need work authorization.

Rene

Thanks Rene!

Rete May 29th 2021 2:11 pm

In the future if you should become a US Citizen, again update SS with your new citizenship status.

OldJuddian May 29th 2021 9:57 pm

You may find that you have to wait until Social Security offices re-open before you can update your card. Luckily there is no ill effect with having the wrong text on the card until you can get it done.

circusplaza Jun 1st 2021 4:15 am

Interesting… I did not know that.
Is the credit score again starting when you change the SSN for such regularisation of the status?

neill Jun 1st 2021 7:10 am

Originally Posted by circusplaza (Post 13012563)
Is the credit score again starting when you change the SSN for such regularisation of the status?

No, because when you become a PR in the US the SSN stays the same.

Rete Jun 1st 2021 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by circusplaza (Post 13012563)

No, your credit score will not change. If you had a poor one, it will remain poor ... no do overs :devil_smile:

The first change will remove the work authorization legend which when you complete your I-9 for a new job will mean that you do not have to show USCIS proof that you can work.

The second change will update your records and this will help when or if you ever have to deal with the feds in regards to to inheritance.

circusplaza Jun 1st 2021 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by neill (Post 13012589)
No, because when you become a PR in the US the SSN stays the same.

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 13012696)
No, your credit score will not change. If you had a poor one, it will remain poor ... no do overs :devil_smile:

The first change will remove the work authorization legend which when you complete your I-9 for a new job will mean that you do not have to show USCIS proof that you can work.

The second change will update your records and this will help when or if you ever have to deal with the feds in regards to to inheritance.

Cheers!

petitefrancaise Jun 2nd 2021 2:38 am

i didn't update my status with the SSA when I became LPR 7 years ago. I've never ever been asked for the actual card when working, only the SSN which can be checked through e-verify for work status.

robtuck Jun 2nd 2021 2:27 pm

I haven't got mine changed from last year yet, because the office was closed. It did cause a bit more work on a mortgage refinance due to the wording and the Underwriting team wanting more documentation as a result.