Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Do I need to file anything for 2017 ?

Do I need to file anything for 2017 ?

Old Mar 8th 2018, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

Chins is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do I need to file anything for 2017 ?

I entered the US on 31st October with my big white CR-1 envelope. Went back to the UK a couple of weeks later

We rented a house which started in the middle of Dec when we came back for a couple more weeks before going back to the UK for Christmas.

Until the 31st Dec i was still employed by my old UK company through PAYE. My official employment started here in the US on the 1st Jan.

So as of the end of 2017 I have no Employer ID number etc. In my own mind I moved here begining of Jan, but i'm sure the IRS may see it as the 31st Oct.

Help appreciated.
Old Mar 8th 2018, 5:08 pm
Lt Col (Retd)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do I need to file anything for 2017 ?

You were a US permanent resident from the day you entered the US on your CR-1, therefore you will need to complete a "split year" tax return, for the periods before and after you became a permanent resident.
Old Mar 8th 2018, 7:42 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
You were a US permanent resident from the day you entered the US on your CR-1, therefore you will need to complete a "split year" tax return, for the periods before and after you became a permanent resident.
Also, once admitted to LPR status, OP's worldwide income became subject to US income tax. I have no idea how the earned income exclusion works in this situation.
Old Mar 8th 2018, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

Seems like non of the online software can deal with me !! Going to be fun
Old Mar 8th 2018, 8:32 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Can't the OP choose to be non resident for tax purposes in 2017, since he was only here a couple of months?

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Mar 8th 2018 at 10:43 pm.
Old Mar 8th 2018, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101 View Post
Can't the OP choose to be non resident for tax purposes in 2017, since he was only here a couple of months?

Rene
OP passes green card test so is a resident for tax purposes from that point unless electing to do so for the entire year.

Last edited by Noorah101; Mar 8th 2018 at 10:43 pm.
Old Mar 8th 2018, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tom169 View Post
OP passes green card test so is a resident for tax purposes from that point unless electing to do so for the entire year.
I was hoping to be non resident for tax purposes for the whole year, booking into to see HR Block to try and sort.
Old Mar 8th 2018, 9:53 pm
Lt Col (Retd)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. Once you have a green card your choices are only "part of the year" (the part after you entered and became a PR), or "all of the year". "None of the year" is no longer an option.
Old Mar 8th 2018, 10:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond repute

You'll want to claim a refund from HMRC on your 2017-18 UK return so that you have the cash to pay the IRS on wages earned from 31 October.
Old Mar 8th 2018, 10:46 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. Once you have a green card your choices are only "part of the year" (the part after you entered and became a PR), or "all of the year". "None of the year" is no longer an option.
I think that is what I meant. He can be non resident for tax purposes, all of the year 2017.

Rene
Old Mar 8th 2018, 11:12 pm
Lt Col (Retd)

I think that is what I meant. He can be non resident for tax purposes, all of the year 2017. ....
You agreed with me, then contradicted me.
Old Mar 9th 2018, 12:19 am

I think that is what I meant. He can be non resident for tax purposes, all of the year 2017.

Rene
You agreed with me, then contradicted me.
Sorry, I am agreeing with the bolded part in your first post above.

He would be:
1. Non-Resident for tax purposes
2. All of the year 2017

Rene
Old Mar 9th 2018, 12:45 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I am agreeing with the bolded part in your first post above.

He would be:
1. Non-Resident for tax purposes
2. All of the year 2017

Rene
He can be a resident for all of the year 2017 or a dual status resident - non resident up to the day entered USA and resident thereafter.
Old Mar 9th 2018, 2:36 pm

He can be a resident for all of the year 2017 or a dual status resident - non resident up to the day entered USA and resident thereafter.
Really? I could have sworn my husband chose to be non residence for all of 2004, the year he came to the USA in April.

I could be wrong.

Rene
Old Mar 9th 2018, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

TheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond repute

TurboTax Deluxe should be able to walk you through this.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement