Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Do I need extra Health insurance?

Do I need extra Health insurance?

Old Feb 17th 2009, 9:51 am
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 9
SamJan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do I need extra Health insurance?

Hi guys,

I am moving to upstate NY on a J1 visa in a few weeks. My employer is providing health insurance and other benefits for me which is mentioned in my offer of employment letter, but they don't kick in until I have worked there for 56 days. Is this common? Does it mean I have to get health insurance to cover the interim period and do I need to carry proof of this?

And, forgive me if this sounds stupid, but what can I expect at the airport at the POE (Newark)? Do I have to go to a special queue? will there be a formal interview? will it take long?

Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated as the big move approaches and the butterflies are starting to settle in.

Sam
SamJan is offline  
Old Feb 17th 2009, 10:44 am
  #2  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Jsmth321's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 22,266
Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do I need extra Health insurance?

There is typically a waiting period for benefits at many employers, 56 days is on the short end, all my past employers it was anywhere from 90 to 180 day waiting period.
Jsmth321 is offline  
Old Feb 17th 2009, 10:51 am
  #3  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 9
SamJan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Do I need extra Health insurance?

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
There is typically a waiting period for benefits at many employers, 56 days is on the short end, all my past employers it was anywhere from 90 to 180 day waiting period.
I guess I am one of the lucky ones then. I am really looking forward to my time in the States- but the idea of getting sick terrifies me out there! Makes you appriciate the NHS.
SamJan is offline  
Old Feb 17th 2009, 11:11 am
  #4  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 8
jem4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Do I need extra Health insurance?

Originally Posted by SamJan View Post
I guess I am one of the lucky ones then. I am really looking forward to my time in the States- but the idea of getting sick terrifies me out there! Makes you appriciate the NHS.
get covered for every minute you're out there. a relative of mine is in real trouble now the medical bills are coming through, and he was very well covered when he got sick in Florida. Who's have thought we'd be singing the praises of the NHS eh?!
jem4 is offline  
Old Feb 17th 2009, 1:46 pm
  #5  
Heading for Poppyland
 
robin1234's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: North Norfolk and northern New York State
Posts: 11,093
robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do I need extra Health insurance?

One way to do it would be to buy a return ticket from the UK to the US, and then buy just regular British travel insurance for a two month stay in the US. Then your employer provided coverage will kick in, and you'll be fine.
robin1234 is offline  
Old Feb 17th 2009, 1:52 pm
  #6  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 9
SamJan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Do I need extra Health insurance?

Originally Posted by robin1234 View Post
One way to do it would be to buy a return ticket from the UK to the US, and then buy just regular British travel insurance for a two month stay in the US. Then your employer provided coverage will kick in, and you'll be fine.
Thanks Robin1234, I think that's a sensible idea. Better safe than sorry I guess.
SamJan is offline  
Old Feb 17th 2009, 2:25 pm
  #7  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
Jerseygirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 82,102
Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do I need extra Health insurance?

Originally Posted by SamJan View Post
Thanks Robin1234, I think that's a sensible idea. Better safe than sorry I guess.
A return ticket is usually cheaper than a one way ticket.
Jerseygirl is offline  
Old Feb 17th 2009, 2:45 pm
  #8  
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!
 
MsElui's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Surrey to Dallas (via Ohio)!
Posts: 6,357
MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do I need extra Health insurance?

Originally Posted by SamJan View Post
Thanks Robin1234, I think that's a sensible idea. Better safe than sorry I guess.
be careful - if they find out afterwards its not a 2 month trip they may try and wriggle out of a claim. I would make sure they understand exactly what your doing so the cover is enforceable. (NOTHING worse than thinking all is covered and being hit afterwards for a huge sum).
MsElui is offline  
Old Feb 17th 2009, 3:05 pm
  #9  
Forum Regular
 
Havnfun's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Lake Forest, CA
Posts: 298
Havnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do I need extra Health insurance?

Originally Posted by SamJan View Post
Hi guys,

I am moving to upstate NY on a J1 visa in a few weeks. My employer is providing health insurance and other benefits for me which is mentioned in my offer of employment letter, but they don't kick in until I have worked there for 56 days. Is this common? Does it mean I have to get health insurance to cover the interim period and do I need to carry proof of this?

And, forgive me if this sounds stupid, but what can I expect at the airport at the POE (Newark)? Do I have to go to a special queue? will there be a formal interview? will it take long?

Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated as the big move approaches and the butterflies are starting to settle in.

Sam
You might want to check out Inbound Immigrant Insurance from Seven Corners. It is a maximum coverage of $100,000. but at least it is some coverage until your employer health care kicks in. You can buy as little as one month or up to 5 years as long as you are not a US Citizen.
Havnfun is offline  
Old Feb 17th 2009, 4:08 pm
  #10  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 9
SamJan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Do I need extra Health insurance?

Originally Posted by Havnfun View Post
You might want to check out Inbound Immigrant Insurance from Seven Corners. It is a maximum coverage of $100,000. but at least it is some coverage until your employer health care kicks in. You can buy as little as one month or up to 5 years as long as you are not a US Citizen.
Thank you, I have had a look and the prices seem reasonable.
SamJan is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.