Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Do I need extra Health insurance?

Do I need extra Health insurance?

Old Feb 17th 2009, 9:51 am
Just Joined

SamJan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do I need extra Health insurance?

Hi guys,

I am moving to upstate NY on a J1 visa in a few weeks. My employer is providing health insurance and other benefits for me which is mentioned in my offer of employment letter, but they don't kick in until I have worked there for 56 days. Is this common? Does it mean I have to get health insurance to cover the interim period and do I need to carry proof of this?

And, forgive me if this sounds stupid, but what can I expect at the airport at the POE (Newark)? Do I have to go to a special queue? will there be a formal interview? will it take long?

Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated as the big move approaches and the butterflies are starting to settle in.

Sam
Old Feb 17th 2009, 10:44 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do I need extra Health insurance?

There is typically a waiting period for benefits at many employers, 56 days is on the short end, all my past employers it was anywhere from 90 to 180 day waiting period.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 10:51 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
There is typically a waiting period for benefits at many employers, 56 days is on the short end, all my past employers it was anywhere from 90 to 180 day waiting period.
I guess I am one of the lucky ones then. I am really looking forward to my time in the States- but the idea of getting sick terrifies me out there! Makes you appriciate the NHS.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 11:11 am
Just Joined

jem4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SamJan
I guess I am one of the lucky ones then. I am really looking forward to my time in the States- but the idea of getting sick terrifies me out there! Makes you appriciate the NHS.
get covered for every minute you're out there. a relative of mine is in real trouble now the medical bills are coming through, and he was very well covered when he got sick in Florida. Who's have thought we'd be singing the praises of the NHS eh?!
Old Feb 17th 2009, 1:46 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

One way to do it would be to buy a return ticket from the UK to the US, and then buy just regular British travel insurance for a two month stay in the US. Then your employer provided coverage will kick in, and you'll be fine.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 1:52 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by robin1234
One way to do it would be to buy a return ticket from the UK to the US, and then buy just regular British travel insurance for a two month stay in the US. Then your employer provided coverage will kick in, and you'll be fine.
Thanks Robin1234, I think that's a sensible idea. Better safe than sorry I guess.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 2:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Robin1234, I think that's a sensible idea. Better safe than sorry I guess.
A return ticket is usually cheaper than a one way ticket.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 2:45 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

be careful - if they find out afterwards its not a 2 month trip they may try and wriggle out of a claim. I would make sure they understand exactly what your doing so the cover is enforceable. (NOTHING worse than thinking all is covered and being hit afterwards for a huge sum).
Old Feb 17th 2009, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

Havnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys,

I am moving to upstate NY on a J1 visa in a few weeks. My employer is providing health insurance and other benefits for me which is mentioned in my offer of employment letter, but they don't kick in until I have worked there for 56 days. Is this common? Does it mean I have to get health insurance to cover the interim period and do I need to carry proof of this?

And, forgive me if this sounds stupid, but what can I expect at the airport at the POE (Newark)? Do I have to go to a special queue? will there be a formal interview? will it take long?

Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated as the big move approaches and the butterflies are starting to settle in.

Sam
You might want to check out Inbound Immigrant Insurance from Seven Corners. It is a maximum coverage of $100,000. but at least it is some coverage until your employer health care kicks in. You can buy as little as one month or up to 5 years as long as you are not a US Citizen.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Havnfun
You might want to check out Inbound Immigrant Insurance from Seven Corners. It is a maximum coverage of $100,000. but at least it is some coverage until your employer health care kicks in. You can buy as little as one month or up to 5 years as long as you are not a US Citizen.
Thank you, I have had a look and the prices seem reasonable.