Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Do I have a U.S. Passport? Or do I need a Visa?

Wikiposts

Do I have a U.S. Passport? Or do I need a Visa?

Old Mar 21st 2013, 4:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do I have a U.S. Passport? Or do I need a Visa?

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I have no idea about US PPs...but if you wish to renew a UK PP that has expired more than 10 years ago...your application is treated as a first time PP. That means you have to send originals of all the various documents ie birth certificate, marriage license etc. That may be worth checking out.
The timeline is 15 years for US passports but the clock starts from the time the passport was issued (not when it expires). So for a 10 year US passport, a simple renewal (via form DS-82) is no longer possible after the passport has been expired for 5 years. In this case the new passport would have to be obtained by submitting form DS-11 in person along with all the supporting documentation (similar to a first time application).

In the OP's case, a simple renewal would NOT have been possible anyway since another condition of a simple renewal is that you weren't under 16 years of age when the previous passport was issued (which in practice means that 5 year passports are ineligible for simple renewal).

Last edited by MarylandNed; Mar 21st 2013 at 4:52 am.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 4:48 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
The timeline is 15 years for US passports but the clock starts from the time the passport was issued (not when it expires). So for a 10 year US passport, a simple renewal (via form DS-82) is no longer possible after the passport has been expired for 5 years. In this case the new passport would have to be obtained by submitting form DS-11 in person along with all the supporting documentation (similar to a first time application).

In the OP's case, a simple renewal would have been possible anyway since another condition of a simple renewal is that you weren't under 16 years of age when the previous passport was issued (which in practice means that 5 year passports are ineligible for simple renewal).

I presume you meant 'would not have'.

Thanks for the above info...interesting.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 4:51 am
Forum Regular

KCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant future

Here is one more reason to take care of an N600 for children!
Old Mar 21st 2013, 4:52 am
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

I presume you meant 'would not have'.

Thanks for the above info...interesting.
Correct - thanks. Edited my post above.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 6:09 am
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

I happened to looked at the Cyprus board early and noted your post about having arrived there 2 wks ago. Then I saw this post, so being nosey I looked at your profile and discovered you also looking at Australia, Canada and New Zealand.

Maybe you should just sit and think about things more clearly and set out what you are trying to achieve before rushing all over the world.

One thing to note and I am not an expert on immigration but your husband will definitely need a visa to move over here, (seems to be a UK citizens from your posts). Not sure if your children are US citizens of not, so maybe you should concentrate on finding that life you are seeking in Cyrus (admittedly bad timing on that) before country hopping around the globe.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 6:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jjmb
I happened to looked at the Cyprus board early and noted your post about having arrived there 2 wks ago. Then I saw this post, so being nosey I looked at your profile and discovered you also looking at Australia, Canada and New Zealand.

Maybe you should just sit and think about things more clearly and set out what you are trying to achieve before rushing all over the world.

One thing to note and I am not an expert on immigration but your husband will definitely need a visa to move over here, (seems to be a UK citizens from your posts). Not sure if your children are US citizens of not, so maybe you should concentrate on finding that life you are seeking in Cyrus (admittedly bad timing on that) before country hopping around the globe.
It's a good idea for a USC to hold a US passport regardless of where they live if they think there's the slightest chance they might find themselves in the US (something that's very likely if they live ie.g. in Canada). This is because USC's are legally required to enter/leave the US on US passports. Even flights to elsewhere could be diverted to the US for any number of reasons.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 6:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KCK_DR
Here is one more reason to take care of an N600 for children!
And consular birth registration.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 6:45 am
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

Off topic, but still relevant. If you are a US citizen, have you been filing a us tax return every year?
Old Mar 21st 2013, 7:29 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trixie_b
Off topic, but still relevant. If you are a US citizen, have you been filing a us tax return every year?
and FBAR.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 7:34 am
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
It's a good idea for a USC to hold a US passport regardless of where they live if they think there's the slightest chance they might find themselves in the US (something that's very likely if they live ie.g. in Canada). This is because USC's are legally required to enter/leave the US on US passports. Even flights to elsewhere could be diverted to the US for any number of reasons.
Yes, agreed, but I wasn't going on about the passport but the multiple postings in just a few days about how to emigrate to various countries when they have only just move to Cyrpus without a job in the past 2 wks. I think they need to work out a plan before rushing to the next big fix
Old Mar 21st 2013, 7:43 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

and FBAR.
and if a bloke, filed with the SS.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 7:47 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Bob
and if a bloke, filed with the SS.
It's a nightmare IMO...the stuff you have to comply with if you're a USC...even if you've never lived here. Land of the free indeed.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 12:47 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Claire333
Yes I was 14 when the passport was issued and 19 when it expired. Does that make it less likely that I will be able to renew it, considering I have not lived in the U.S. since?, or does the age make no difference to my eligibility to renew it?
How did you get your U.S. citizenship? Was it through your parents becoming U.S. citizens after immigrating, or were you born overseas to U.S. citizen parents.

In the latter case, you should have a Consular Report of Birth Abroad.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

Claire333 is an unknown quantity at this point

My mother is a U.S. citizen but I was born abroad.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Claire333
My mother is a U.S. citizen but I was born abroad.
See http://travel.state.gov/passport/get...tml#step3first

You need to provide proof of your US citizenship. You can use your expired US passport as "primary evidence" of US citizenship - assuming you still have it and it is undamaged.

Primary evidence of US citizenship:
- Previously issued, undamaged U.S. Passport
- Certified birth certificate issued by the city, county or state*
- Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth
- Naturalization Certificate
- Certificate of Citizenship

If you can't provide one of the above (obviously you can't provide a US birth cert or naturalization cert), hopefully you can provide "secondary evidence":

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get...ence_4315.html

Last edited by MarylandNed; Mar 21st 2013 at 11:58 pm.