Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Do I have to fly into my Official town?!

Do I have to fly into my Official town?!

Old Jul 2nd 2013, 12:29 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do I have to fly into my Official town?!

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Double check with the DMV requirements in the city where you plan to take the driving test. CA is pretty strict, and might require a SSN and proof of residence in CA before they'll allow you to test.
They will require a SSN (or evidence that you are not eligible for one).

I have never heard of any requirement to show proof of residence in CA in order to get a CA driver's license.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 12:40 am
Forum Regular

dickiederson will become famous soon enoughdickiederson will become famous soon enough

Thanks....

Without this turning into a thread on Drivers tests... Do you happen to know if I need the SSN when I BOOK the test or if I can show it when I TAKE the test?

That way I could get the test booked as soon as I arrive and not have to wait for the SSN
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 1:06 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dickiederson
Thanks....

Without this turning into a thread on Drivers tests... Do you happen to know if I need the SSN when I BOOK the test or if I can show it when I TAKE the test?

That way I could get the test booked as soon as I arrive and not have to wait for the SSN
I don't know how far in advance they book an appointment...it could take several weeks to get your SSN in hand. When you arrive in the USA, call DMV and ask them. If they don't need a SSN to book it, then book it for a month or so later. If they need it, then you just have to wait. My guess is they don't need it to book the appointment, but if you don't have the number by the time your test date comes around, you have to rebook it anyway.

Rene
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 1:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks....

In California, you need to take the written test before you can take the road test. You can walk-in for the written test. Normally if you already have a UK driver's license, you will be issued a 90 day temporary California license instead of a driver's permit. This gives you time to book an appointment and take the road test. If they don't issue a temporary license, ask for the supervisor.

A temporary license should be the considered the same as a regular license for purchasing and insuring a car.

I believe you need a SSN to take the written test.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 11:59 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... we're staying with her Mother's cousin....not sure what relation that makes her to us!
Since you ask (), if this is her mom's 1st cousin (for example) then, to your wife, she is a 1st cousin once removed.

Ian