Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Divorce in America/UK

Divorce in America/UK

Old Apr 20th 2015, 1:49 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Divorce in America/UK

Originally Posted by Michael
I'm likely in a minority but if the divorce is amiable, I'd file through something like LegalZoom. In the '80s I went though an amiable uncontested divorce writing up how property would be divided and only one lawyer was used but I would have used LegalZoom instead if it was available since the lawyer turned a well written document into something that the judge couldn't understand and I had to explain to the judge what the lawyer really meant. In California when a divorce is uncontested and agreed upon, only one party needs to show up before the judge.

Divorce - Get Help Filing Divorce Online | LegalZoom

Beside messing everything up, the lawyer's final bill was $500 more than the original quote since we owned two properties even though the law firm didn't have to do anything additional.

If both were to get lawyers, a $300 bill could easily turn into $8,000 or more.
If everything is agreed upon and not contested, neither party may need to go to court and the court may just grant the divorce without an actual hearing.

My divorce was amicable and not contested, we just paid the court fees, waited 6 months and a divorce certificate showed up in the mail. Easy as could be.

Hardest part was getting the forms filled out to the courts approval, that took a couple tries but in the end we got it figured out.
Old Apr 20th 2015, 10:21 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

If you are planning to divorce, then you can't file the I-751 for removal with her anyway, since you aren't planning to stay married. Fine line maybe, but still.

Im in basically an identical position, divorced after 18 months in the US. I am waiting for an interview for my waiver application.
Old Apr 20th 2015, 10:23 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
Bottom line is, if at all possible, you really need to stay married at least until the conditions have been lifted if you want to stay in the US.
Utter tosh. How many I-751 waivers have you seen refused?? It might take an appearance before an IJ, but they rarely seem to end in disaster.

No one should have to stay married if they don't want too, and indeed, if they are intending to divorce, it seems me that her signing to say that she is in a continuing marital relationship is perjury.