Direct TV

Old Mar 15th 2005, 5:47 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Direct TV

We only have one Cable Co in the area and they suck. They suck big time. I'm just about at the end of my tolerance level with them and want to tell them to stuff their cable.

Our only other option is Direct TV. My main worries with them would be outages in bad weather / blizzards and the customer service being as dire as Adelphia.

Anyone got any experiences with Direct TV?
Old Mar 15th 2005, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Direct TV

Originally Posted by sibsie
We only have one Cable Co in the area and they suck. They suck big time. I'm just about at the end of my tolerance level with them and want to tell them to stuff their cable.

Our only other option is Direct TV. My main worries with them would be outages in bad weather / blizzards and the customer service being as dire as Adelphia.

Apart from having to wait ages to get them to install we've had no problems..customer service was very good when I did have to call them with initial installation problems. No problem with the picture quality even with all the torrential rain we have had in LA over the last few weeks, used to lose Sky TV back in the UK all the time, the slightest wind and it would go. Maybe worse weather would affect it but thankfully we don't get blizzards here
Old Mar 15th 2005, 5:58 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

We have Directv and altogether the service has been good. I was like you at first, a bit concerned about losing the picture durings storms, loads of outages. So far (and we've used them for 18months now) there have been no major problems. We only lose the picture during really big storms, and it comes back very quickly. When we had cable, it seemed that every time there was a thunder storm the picture would be lost and the engineers would be called out to fix whatever had blown. We've only called directv out once,last week in fact, as some connectors outside had gone rusty and needed replacing.
Old Mar 15th 2005, 6:03 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. Anything has to be better that Adelphia. I'm now on day three of my wait for a service call!
Old Mar 15th 2005, 6:06 pm
Failed Expat ;-)

NJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sibsie

We have Direct TV at our place and have had a pretty good service. I miss the On Demand channels that we had with cable, but don't get with Direct TV but apart from that I have no problems with it. We have the service from Verizon that is combined with our phone and broadband internet, which saves us a fortune
Old Mar 15th 2005, 6:08 pm
C.G.D.S

Originally Posted by dbickle
We have the service from Verizon that is combined with our phone and broadband internet, which saves us a fortune
Sadly we don't get broadband out here. If we did, I'd ditch Adelphia altogether.
Old Mar 15th 2005, 6:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to behold

Yup we have Direct TV, and overall it has been fairly pain-free. The initial installation took ages from the time we ordered to the time it was installed, however when it came to us moving house and getting a new dish, it was remarkably pain free.

With regard to bad weather, there usually has to be thunder and lightning in order for the picture to go. We've only ever had to call the customer helpline once and they sorted out the problem in less than 5 minutes....
Old Mar 15th 2005, 8:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Arse, I'm moving and Adelphia is the only cable company in the area I'm going to. I thought about Direct TV but somebody I know has it and the picture goes out when it snows hard, and in Cleveland that's a lot in the winter.
Old Mar 16th 2005, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Moved to Direct as Dish pissed me off big time! So far so good - little chance of blizzards here - dish went off in thunder storms but no outage at all with DTV as yet
Old Mar 16th 2005, 12:30 am
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
the engineers would be called out to fix whatever had blown.
Wouldn't have been an engineer as this title is protected in the USA. It would've been a technician, or a repair man.
Old Mar 16th 2005, 1:48 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

When it snows a bundle, it can suck because it doesn't take all that much snow settling on the dish to mess up the reception, don't know how bad it is for you, but up at the in-laws, it can be a pain, but then there isn't any cable where they live so they have to use direct tv, ain't able to get tv fullstop without a dish, so they get a special rate, which is shite...oh and sometime last year when direct tv messed up the billing, they had a hell of a time getting the satalite switched back on and getting the refund....
Old Mar 16th 2005, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Sentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond repute

we had direct t.v. but moved to cable,we were forever lossing the signal when it rained, very annoying when you are in the middle of a programme and it went of sometimes for over an hour, if we had heavy rain or thunder storms and during the summer here in central florida that meant most days it would go off.
Old Mar 16th 2005, 1:24 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

We also habe DTV and have had decent service overall- outages during storms, yes but never too long. My only complaints are that they do not carry the networks in our area, and in order to get TVE fron Spain, we also have to get 20 other hispanic channels we never watch. After your bad time in Spain, I doubt that will be a concern for you lol!
Old Mar 16th 2005, 4:02 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveC
Wouldn't have been an engineer as this title is protected in the USA. It would've been a technician, or a repair man.
OK, OK mr pedantic! Jeez you're as bad as my other half (who is a bonafied enigineer)
Old Mar 16th 2005, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

strim has a brilliant futurestrim has a brilliant futurestrim has a brilliant futurestrim has a brilliant futurestrim has a brilliant futurestrim has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=sibsie]QUOTE]

We have DirecTV and overall are happy. We occasionally lose reception if there is heavy rain or a snowstorm, but usually it isn't for too long.

We chose it over cable as it has BBC America and the cable companies where we are don't.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.