Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dinner time in the US

Wikiposts

Dinner time in the US

Old Oct 22nd 2013, 3:00 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dinner time in the US

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
It amazes me that most Americans, well the ones I have seen, have no idea how to use a soap spoon correctly, they just spoon it in as if it was a dessert.
Yeah I've never figured out to use that kind of spoon either
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 3:04 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I can't imagine. That's why we started little Miss P on proper cutlery soon after her first birthday, and by her second birthday she was pretty good at basic manipulation of the spoon and fork, and the knife as a "helper" was coming along quite nicely. Then daycare and endless finger food entered the picture, and eating everything with a spoon!
We did the same - I caught wife trying to garage sale the kids first cutlery sets the other day Needless to say, I rescued them, and they went in the box of other useless baby crap that the kids will say "wonder why he kept this" when they're clearing the house after I'm dead and gone...

Sad to say, we have now quite a few meals that are spoon and fork, rather than knife and fork, as we eat Asian style most of the time. The kids are probably better with chopsticks than knife and fork, but they can at least handle themselves in a 'proper' restaurant (eg a steakhouse) without embarrassment.
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 3:06 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Yeah I've never figured out to use that kind of spoon either
We're old fashioned, and I'm embarrassed to say I still regard it as finger food - nibbling the corner of the Imperial Leather is most satisfying, and certainly easier than trying to cut it. I suppose if we ever went liquid, I may need to refer back to see which sort of spoon would be most appropriate
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 3:23 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
We're old fashioned, and I'm embarrassed to say I still regard it as finger food - nibbling the corner of the Imperial Leather is most satisfying, ....
I'm more of a coal tar connoisseur myself, but misuse of the soap spoon just makes me foam at the mouth. ..... Or maybe it's just the soap?
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I'm more of a coal tar connoisseur myself, but misuse of the soap spoon just makes me foam at the mouth. ..... Or maybe it's just the soap?
Are you my grandma? She is the only person I've ever known to use it!
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 3:34 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Are you my grandma? ....
I don't think so, for at least two substantive reasons, and probably a myriad of supporting reasons.

I've always liked it, as does little Miss P, despite Mrs P's best attempts to persuade her otherwise as Mrs does not like it at all.
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 3:49 am
Forum Regular

Ruth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond repute

The cuts of meat are so tough Brits need a knife because they cook the meats to death , but I've never heard a yank complain about how Brits eat.
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 3:56 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ruth16
The cuts of meat are so tough Brits need a knife because they cook the meats to death , but I've never heard a yank complain about how Brits eat.
Eh?

That makes no sense . Even eating a nice, tender and rare, I might add so hardly cooked to death, fillet steak (or filet, to use the US vernacular) in the UK, I still needed a knife to cut it.

Unless I'm eating pulled pork out here, I always need a knife to cut my meat.
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 3:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Eh?

That makes no sense . Even eating a nice, tender and rare, I might add so hardly cooked to death, fillet steak (or filet, to use the US vernacular) in the UK, I still needed a knife to cut it.

Unless I'm eating pulled pork out here, I always need a knife to cut my meat.
Maybe she's thinking of burgers, or meat loaf
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 4:01 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Maybe she's thinking of burgers, or meat loaf
OK, I'll give her that. I eat burgers by hand. I do use a knife with meatloaf, even though I can cut it with a fork, through force of habit.
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 4:06 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

That's because they don't know any better
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 4:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Adnams
A few years back I was watching a televised state function and the President was eating the correct way. I.e. with a fork in left knife in right
So perhaps it's a class / formality thing too? Oh and it was Bush too!
Wasn't he left handed? Just like most of the presidents. I eat the left handed way, much easier to use the knife in my left hand.

I've been training my kids to use knives, if only as something to scoop food against for now. They are using children's cutlery sets from the UK, US ones don't have knives, not even pointless blunt ones.
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 4:17 am
Forum Regular

Ruth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
That's because they don't know any better
True, Brits have no clue how to grill a good piece of meat
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 4:34 am
I have a comma problem

True, Brits have no clue how to grill a good piece of meat
Absolute bollocks.
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 4:41 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Absolute bollocks.
Grilled?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.