Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dinner time in the US

Dinner time in the US

Old Oct 22nd 2013, 12:46 am
Forum Regular

Andy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_UK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dinner time in the US

I'm not sure what it is but my new family and friends in the USA don't know how to use a knife and fork.

They seem fine when it comes to a fork but add a knife and it's like feeding time at the zoo, they all hold a fork in their clenched fist and stab their knives at the meat hoping it will fall apart and then swap fork to the other hand.
I am always the 1st to finish eating while they are still trying tocut their meat.
Anyone else have similar experience or have I married into a redneck family
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 12:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dinner time in the US

Originally Posted by Andy_UK
I'm not sure what it is but my new family and friends in the USA don't know how to use a knife and fork.

They seem fine when it comes to a fork but add a knife and it's like feeding time at the zoo, they all hold a fork in their clenched fist and stab their knives at the meat hoping it will fall apart and then swap fork to the other hand.
I am always the 1st to finish eating while they are still trying tocut their meat.
Anyone else have similar experience or have I married into a redneck family
Apparently there's a historical reason why they can't use a knife. I think it's related to the Constitution.
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 1:03 am
Forum Regular

Lbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond repute

You'll drive yourself crazy trying to figure that one out.

The funny thing is they think we're the ones that look stupid trying to eat the right way.
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 1:06 am
Forum Regular

Andy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_UK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lbjen
The funny thing is they think we're the ones that look stupid trying to eat the right way.
That's so true, they do think I'm stupid holding a knife all the time
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 1:17 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andy_UK
I'm not sure what it is but my new family and friends in the USA don't know how to use a knife and fork. ..... Anyone else have similar experience or have I married into a redneck family.
No, we all have exactly the same experience and opinion!

Originally Posted by Lbjen
You'll drive yourself crazy trying to figure that one out.

I think they have bad manual coordination. The same reason that they drive automatics!

For Mrs P, who already leaned towards using a knife and form "British style" before she met me, the revelation came when she noticed I mostly kept cutting corners off a steak or chop, when her parents had taught her to cut strips, and then cut the strips into cubes, making two cuts for each mouthful, as opposed to my typical one cut per mouthful.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 22nd 2013 at 1:25 am.
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 5:51 am
Forum Regular

paul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond repute

I've noticed, it seems quite an art form for some Americans to eat a meal. It may be the way they are taught, I don't know, but it seems to involve either cutting all their food up first, or, more delightful to watch, cutting up a piece of food, then swapping the fork over to the other hand to use to eat the food, then swapping the cutlery back to the other hand to cut it again. Just one of their idiosyncracies, maybe, but it still gets the job done, just a bit slower!
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 6:20 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Actually the "American" style developed first in France, but in Europe they switched to the current style about 150 years ago.

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/c...switching.html
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 6:37 am
Forum Regular

paul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Actually the "American" style developed first in France, but in Europe they switched to the current style about 150 years ago.

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/c...switching.html
Most interesting, thanks. I'm not sure that I'd like them to change, I must admit, there is something attractive about their style.
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 6:59 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Apparently there's a historical reason why they can't use a knife. I think it's related to the Constitution.
Well it's difficult to use both a knife and a fork when you are holding a gun in one hand ...
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 7:08 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
Well it's difficult to use both a knife and a fork when you are holding a gun in one hand ...
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 11:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I just prefer "cave man" style. I stab the meat with my fork and bring the whole thing to my mouth and rip off a chunk with my teeth. If no fork is handy, fingers are the next best thing. Who needs a knife?
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 12:13 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
Well it's difficult to use both a knife and a fork when you are holding a gun in one hand.
Er, no, not really.

Problem solved!

[Edit: And conveniently, for most people, their knife hand is their gun hand, so no inconvenient switching back and forth. ]

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 22nd 2013 at 1:39 pm.
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 1:17 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
I just prefer "cave man" style. I stab the meat with my fork and bring the whole thing to my mouth and rip off a chunk with my teeth. If no fork is handy, fingers are the next best thing. Who needs a knife?
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 1:22 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Er, no, not really.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u...bcbd4d1f5a.jpg

Problem solved!
I should get one of those, so I can shoot people who chew with their mouth open

For me, that's way worse than the inefficient but harmless convention of swapping hands to cut things and it happens in every country I have eaten in as well.
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 1:32 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

It's because of religion - if HE had intended us to use cutlery we would have been born with it, that's why we eat naked with our fingers in this house

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.