Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dillema-cut ties with UK?

Dillema-cut ties with UK?

Old Mar 7th 2005, 2:21 pm
Perfumdiva1

Default Re: Dillema-cut ties with UK?

Originally Posted by yonk
Well, as you don't pay tax in the Uk, how do you think the rest of us that do feel about subsidising your offspring? US uni rates reflect the cost of a course.

It's not fair if you've left the country for financial and lifestyle gain elsewhere, then you should take the rough with the smooth. Your choice to leave....can't have the benefits without some of the sacrifices.....

For your information, we have been paying local taxes in the US for years, and prior to that, my husband any myself, both paid taxes in the UK

Things are never quite as they appear, and taking the green card was not our choice

And, if you have had kids at the uni in the UK, before I had any, but was paying taxes, just who do you think was helping to pay for your fees??

Old Mar 7th 2005, 2:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perfumdiva1
Englishmum

Have u been on the L1-L2 the entire time u have been in the US??, as we have been told there is a 7 year max

I have been talking to the uni's in Scotland, and it makes no difference if you own a property there or not. If you accept the green cards, then u are automatically regarded as a foreign student.

Other than owning a house/business, how can you prove you still have ties?

SOrry to ask so many questions, but we have to make the decision either today or tomorrow, as to whether we accept the card, as the dead line is Friday. It is the uni thing that has brought this all about

The only way round this is, as far as I have been told, is to return to the UK permanently 3 years prior to the kids going to Uni, and u can still retain ur green card.

The thought of paying $25,000 for the next 7/8 years , when he eventually goes, in 3 years time, (he wants to do medicine), make me feel sick, when the UK alternative is so much more appealing LOL

It was always our intention to send the kids there anyway.

HELP...

PD
I think from reading other posts that if you leave the US for more than a year then your GC is no longer valid, but I could be wrong.

We would have been here 5 yrs at the end of this month. Like EM, we came on what was a temporary contract for 14 months with the expectation that we would return to the Dunfermline area once the new Fab opened. As time went on it became increasingly clear that wasn't going to happen, so we extended for another year. Well, the fab never opened and is never likely to happen. The industry that my husband belongs to will never be strong again in Scotland and so we decided to stay put for a while.

We actually made our decision on a gloriously sunny day in January 2003. We made 2 lists, the pro and cons, the pros just made it. Obviously it made easier because it was a beautiful day with the temp in the 70's, who wouldn't miss weather like that in the winter.

P1 is your child taking any AP classes? We have a daughter who is currently in her 2nd yr at the local state school in San Marcos. We looked into her going to a UK university and there were 2 factors we had to take into account. (1) The residency question, by the time she was due to start University we would have been here 3 yrs but as EM has pointed out because ours wasn't a immigrant visa (L1/2), we could have probably got around that. (2) More importantly she most likely wouldn't have got into a UK University because although she had 2 AP passes in English, her high school diploma wouldn't have been considered good enough to get on a science degree course, let alone medical school.

$25,000 is that for the 8 yrs (bear in mind that most US student actually take 5 yrs to do a degree unless they do dual credits at school and do at least one summer semester). My daughter's fees for the current year are about $7000, by the end of her degree we would have spend about $64,000 but that includes all her fees, books, food and lodging. She is on an L2 at the moment so can't work but in the next few months we will all have work permits.

By the time your son goes to University in England or Wales, fees will be about $5700 (3000 GPD's) plus all the extras mentioned above. My daughter who is doing Clinical Laboratory Studies is also planning to go to medical school and she has already calculated that unless she manages to get scholarships, she will be in debt by roughly $100,000 by the time she qualifies as a pathologist. This to me (and her) seems a horrific debt to be carrying at such a young age (hopefully she will qualify by the time she is 26), however if you look at the average salary, it takes on a different perspective.

Lots of things have to be considered once you become an expat, especially if you are happy where you are. Mrs G where are you situated in TX and what industry is your husband in? Will your kids be happy in Scotland? We have friends who moved back to Scotland and their son was 8 when they returned. He hated it but his older sister aged 14, slotted in, just as if they had been away on a summer vacation.

Above all, never think of things as permanent, so many things change in life. We never imagined that we would still be here, 5 yrs ago and we certainly don't see ourselves staying here forever but who knows.

Last edited by jjmb; Mar 7th 2005 at 2:46 pm.
Old Mar 7th 2005, 3:38 pm
Perfumdiva1

Originally Posted by jjmb
I think from reading other posts that if you leave the US for more than a year then your GC is no longer valid, but I could be wrong.

We would have been here 5 yrs at the end of this month. Like EM, we came on what was a temporary contract for 14 months with the expectation that we would return to the Dunfermline area once the new Fab opened. As time went on it became increasingly clear that wasn't going to happen, so we extended for another year. Well, the fab never opened and is never likely to happen. The industry that my husband belongs to will never be strong again in Scotland and so we decided to stay put for a while.

We actually made our decision on a gloriously sunny day in January 2003. We made 2 lists, the pro and cons, the pros just made it. Obviously it made easier because it was a beautiful day with the temp in the 70's, who wouldn't miss weather like that in the winter.

P1 is your child taking any AP classes? We have a daughter who is currently in her 2nd yr at the local state school in San Marcos. We looked into her going to a UK university and there were 2 factors we had to take into account. (1) The residency question, by the time she was due to start University we would have been here 3 yrs but as EM has pointed out because ours wasn't a immigrant visa (L1/2), we could have probably got around that. (2) More importantly she most likely wouldn't have got into a UK University because although she had 2 AP passes in English, her high school diploma wouldn't have been considered good enough to get on a science degree course, let alone medical school.

$25,000 is that for the 8 yrs (bear in mind that most US student actually take 5 yrs to do a degree unless they do dual credits at school and do at least one summer semester). My daughter's fees for the current year are about $7000, by the end of her degree we would have spend about $64,000 but that includes all her fees, books, food and lodging. She is on an L2 at the moment so can't work but in the next few months we will all have work permits.

By the time your son goes to University in England or Wales, fees will be about $5700 (3000 GPD's) plus all the extras mentioned above. My daughter who is doing Clinical Laboratory Studies is also planning to go to medical school and she has already calculated that unless she manages to get scholarships, she will be in debt by roughly $100,000 by the time she qualifies as a pathologist. This to me (and her) seems a horrific debt to be carrying at such a young age (hopefully she will qualify by the time she is 26), however if you look at the average salary, it takes on a different perspective.

Lots of things have to be considered once you become an expat, especially if you are happy where you are. Mrs G where are you situated in TX and what industry is your husband in? Will your kids be happy in Scotland? We have friends who moved back to Scotland and their son was 8 when they returned. He hated it but his older sister aged 14, slotted in, just as if they had been away on a summer vacation.

Above all, never think of things as permanent, so many things change in life. We never imagined that we would still be here, 5 yrs ago and we certainly don't see ourselves staying here forever but who knows.

Hi jjmb

Thanks for all the info

The $25,000 is per year, unfortunately, and right now he wants to do medicine, but of course that could change next week LOL

He is doing 4 PreAP classes at the mom, and shall do 4 AP classes next school year

The kids would be fairly OK with moving back the to UK, and nothing there has changed, friends etc

It is me that would find it harder, and also my husband (hates Aberdeen)

Just had an interesting conversation with an English uni, they told us that next year, it is likely that all unis will be forced to charge full fees, even to UK residents.

Can't imagine this will go down well at all in the UK

Funny thing is, no other uni has mentioned this to us..

Hey ho, patience is a virtue, and unofrtunately I have none

It will all be decided in the next couple of days for us...

Thanks again

PD

Old Mar 7th 2005, 3:56 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Two things:

most public universities in the US are supported by tax dollars paid by citizens of that state, but in no case that I see do they go back three years and want proof of all working history and taxes paid for the past 15! UT is ranked 15th in the world of all universities; Rice is good, though private; and there are many other universities in the US well worth investigating.

second thing: yes, I have heard of the move to charge all students full fees. It is of course highly controversial but on the other hand, uni students, and even their parents, do not make up a large number of constituents. I also understand about paying for what you use, but the issue with having to pay full uni tuition is twofold: if you must pay the fully loaded cost, "equality of opportunity" in education is out the window, so that only children of well-off parents can attend; and secondly, the number of qualified people for numerous jobs would fall, meaning that future taxes and services would degrade. How can someone owing $100,000 compete with a new graduate from an Indian University whose education was nearly fully paid for by the state?
Old Mar 7th 2005, 4:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

P1, I take it that is for a private school? We have a friend who's daughter went to a private school (university) in San Antonio last yr, she insisted that was the only school for her. His problem was he came over the same time as us, so had no time to save for University like the average American family and plus his next daughter will be starting this year (he also has 2 younger sons). He really couldn't afford the fees to be honest, even being on a very good salary, so they contacted the school and consulted with the financial aid office. They obviously didn't get free education (who does these days) but they managed reduce the fees considerably because the Univerisity didn't want to miss out on such a good student. Apparently this can happen quite often and it just a case of working it out with the university concerned.

As it seems your son is already in High school, it already not too early to make inquiries.

Bear in mind that the UK university fees are increasing from 2006 and already it is being suggested that fees will increase even more in next few years, particularly for the 'ivy' league universities of England. So you might not be that much better off in the UK in the long run. Especially as scholarships aren't as plentiful in the UK as there hasn't been the need for them until now. Of course if you are moving back to Scotland, then at the moment you are quids in.
Old Mar 7th 2005, 4:04 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it's the "top-up" fee debate; here is one article:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/northyorkshire/...g/debate.shtml
Old Mar 7th 2005, 4:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsG
Just recently found this website and wish I'd found it sooner. My hubby and I have been in Texas for 4 years on an international contract and the time has come to make a decision to stay and go 'local' or go back to Scotland. Problem is-this is hubbys dream job and we are all very happy here. He's been offered a job back in Scotland but it is less pay and effectively a demotion but it is our chance to get back home and get the kids back into the British school system. Eldest is almost 9 so don't want to mess him around education wise. We have a house in Scotland that we are prepared to sell but something inside tells us not to, even though we would make a killing on the sale! If we sold then we would pretty much be here indefinitely. Anyone going/gone through the same thing? How does it feel to know your house is sold? Anyone go through a 'mourning' period?
Any comments would be appreciated....
I sold my house before I left the UK, and have to admit that I regretted that decision because as soon as I exchanged contracts I suddenly felt very insecure. I guess it comes down to what makes you feel secure, my father taught me that security comes from "bricks and mortar" and I've never been able to let go of that.
Old Mar 7th 2005, 4:33 pm
Perfumdiva1

P1, I take it that is for a private school? We have a friend who's daughter went to a private school (university) in San Antonio last yr, she insisted that was the only school for her. His problem was he came over the same time as us, so had no time to save for University like the average American family and plus his next daughter will be starting this year (he also has 2 younger sons). He really couldn't afford the fees to be honest, even being on a very good salary, so they contacted the school and consulted with the financial aid office. They obviously didn't get free education (who does these days) but they managed reduce the fees considerably because the Univerisity didn't want to miss out on such a good student. Apparently this can happen quite often and it just a case of working it out with the university concerned.

As it seems your son is already in High school, it already not too early to make inquiries.

Bear in mind that the UK university fees are increasing from 2006 and already it is being suggested that fees will increase even more in next few years, particularly for the 'ivy' league universities of England. So you might not be that much better off in the UK in the long run. Especially as scholarships aren't as plentiful in the UK as there hasn't been the need for them until now. Of course if you are moving back to Scotland, then at the moment you are quids in.

The nightmare continues.........

The $25,000 is per year, and no, it is not a private uni, that would be $31,000
per year, great

My sister is at uni in Aberdeen, and checked, and so far, only England will be charging the full fees at 2006

But who knows

If it doesnt work out for us, then it is good that other people know the situation, as we had no clue, only found all this out by accident

Know of any good job going at Wal-Mart..............

PD

Old Mar 7th 2005, 4:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

PD hope things go well for you. know the feeling about Walmart. Have put off getting a work permit until now. Just about to put in for AOS so should be able to work in the summer. However, having been a SAH for most of the last 18 yrs, struggling to think about what to do.

I worked briefly for 6 months went about 2 yrs before moving here but the moans I got from the family, principally from DH, made it all to easy to give up. Since moving here, I said I would apply for a work permit (grudgingly) but my husband has always said he would do it from work (why pay for it, if you get it free).

Over the years I have done various courses in desk top publishing, word processing, excel etc all courtesy of Perth community college. I even did a post grad diploma (masters eq as it was a 2 yr full time) in Art therapy but unfortunately at the time there wasn't much call for art therapy in Scotland (isn't even now I think). However, I would have do another full time course to qualify over here and of course there aren't any art therapy course in the whole of Texas.

So it looks like Target, HEB or the local book shop for me. ):
Old Mar 7th 2005, 5:09 pm
Perfumdiva1

PD hope things go well for you. know the feeling about Walmart. Have put off getting a work permit until now. Just about to put in for AOS so should be able to work in the summer. However, having been a SAH for most of the last 18 yrs, struggling to think about what to do.

I worked briefly for 6 months went about 2 yrs before moving here but the moans I got from the family, principally from DH, made it all to easy to give up. Since moving here, I said I would apply for a work permit (grudgingly) but my husband has always said he would do it from work (why pay for it, if you get it free).

Over the years I have done various courses in desk top publishing, word processing, excel etc all courtesy of Perth community college. I even did a post grad diploma (masters eq as it was a 2 yr full time) in Art therapy but unfortunately at the time there wasn't much call for art therapy in Scotland (isn't even now I think). However, I would have do another full time course to qualify over here and of course there aren't any art therapy course in the whole of Texas.

I'm in Houston, where r u

Old Mar 7th 2005, 5:10 pm
Perfumdiva1

Thanks for that, and if we have to stay, then I said to my husband, who needs 2 kidneys anyway LOL

PD

Old Mar 7th 2005, 5:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

just outside Austin.
Old Mar 7th 2005, 5:23 pm
Perfumdiva1

just outside Austin.

Very nice indeed, going to a wedding there in May, providing we are still here LOL

Ahh, those rolling hills, and Lake Austin (?) is just gorgeous

Old Mar 7th 2005, 8:38 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Dillema-cut ties with UK?

PerfumeDiva - there is an option here worth considering and it's what we did with our daughter:

My daughter went to an International School in Singapore which had the IGCSE's at age 16 and the International Baccalaureate from the ages of 16-18. When she had taken her IGCSE's we relocated to the US in the Summer of 2000 - husband moved here in April but I stayed on with the kids to see out the exams and academic year (the timing was good as our son had just finished Primary schooling in Singapore too).

She didn't fancy going to the local High School - she knew lots of American kids at Singapore American School and indeed had an American boyfriend - so we gave her the option of coming to the US or going to boarding school in the UK to take 'A' levels. She thought about it (also didn't like the idea of the High School beginning the school day at 7.40am!) and chose to go to boarding school. She had to take an entrance exam which the school sent over to her Year Head in Singapore and they invigilated whilst she took the exam. A few days later they faxed a letter to us saying that they were offering her a place.

My husband negotiated with his company and they paid an allowance towards the fees. My daughter took a Gap Year after her 'A' levels and went on an organised trek to India and Nepal (she met her boyfriend on the same trek and they're still dating, although she's in London and he is at York University).

There are actually State boarding schools in the UK where the standards are high (on a par or exceeding private schools) and you only have to pay for the accommodation for your child. Perhaps this might be an option to consider - and obviously will then qualify for Home Student fees - you just state that your child lives with a grandparent/aunt with a UK address, which is where our daughter went in exeats and half term holidays - in our case it was cut and dried as my spouse is on a temporary work visa in the US which maxes out in April 2007:

http://www.sbsa.org.uk/index.htm

My daughter went to Headington School in Oxford (fantastic location for transport to London and Heathrow airport)....buses go to both places from right outside the school gates 24 hours a day. There was an American girl in her year and lots of expat girls and pupils from the Far East and Africa:

http://www.headington.oxon.sch.uk/

Now we're going to face a dilemma with our son who can't decide where he wants to go for college in a couple of years! He hasn't a clue what he wants to do but perhaps going to uni in Scotland might be an option as for example a BA degree takes 3 years and if you want the Honours then it's another year on top (but being a Sassenach we would of course, need to pay the fees that other English students pay which Scottish students are exempt from!).
Old Mar 7th 2005, 9:02 pm
Perfumdiva1

Originally Posted by Englishmum
PerfumeDiva - there is an option here worth considering and it's what we did with our daughter:

My daughter went to an International School in Singapore which had the IGCSE's at age 16 and the International Baccalaureate from the ages of 16-18. When she had taken her IGCSE's we relocated to the US in the Summer of 2000 - husband moved here in April but I stayed on with the kids to see out the exams and academic year (the timing was good as our son had just finished Primary schooling in Singapore too).

She didn't fancy going to the local High School - she knew lots of American kids at Singapore American School and indeed had an American boyfriend - so we gave her the option of coming to the US or going to boarding school in the UK to take 'A' levels. She thought about it (also didn't like the idea of the High School beginning the school day at 7.40am!) and chose to go to boarding school. She had to take an entrance exam which the school sent over to her Year Head in Singapore and they invigilated whilst she took the exam. A few days later they faxed a letter to us saying that they were offering her a place.

My husband negotiated with his company and they paid an allowance towards the fees. My daughter took a Gap Year after her 'A' levels and went on an organised trek to India and Nepal (she met her boyfriend on the same trek and they're still dating, although she's in London and he is at York University).

There are actually State boarding schools in the UK where the standards are high (on a par or exceeding private schools) and you only have to pay for the accommodation for your child. Perhaps this might be an option to consider - and obviously will then qualify for Home Student fees - you just state that your child lives with a grandparent/aunt with a UK address, which is where our daughter went in exeats and half term holidays - in our case it was cut and dried as my spouse is on a temporary work visa in the US which maxes out in April 2007:

http://www.sbsa.org.uk/index.htm

My daughter went to Headington School in Oxford (fantastic location for transport to London and Heathrow airport)....buses go to both places from right outside the school gates 24 hours a day. There was an American girl in her year and lots of expat girls and pupils from the Far East and Africa:

http://www.headington.oxon.sch.uk/

Now we're going to face a dilemma with our son who can't decide where he wants to go for college in a couple of years! He hasn't a clue what he wants to do but perhaps going to uni in Scotland might be an option as for example a BA degree takes 3 years and if you want the Honours then it's another year on top (but being a Sassenach we would of course, need to pay the fees that other English students pay which Scottish students are exempt from!).

You are a total star

I shall go over all this info with my husband tonight

Thank you so much,. and you totally deserve an eighteen wheeler full of karma

PD

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.