Reload this Page >

Difficulty of getting a job?

Difficulty of getting a job?

Old Sep 3rd 2018, 11:51 am
Just Joined

DoubleDK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Difficulty of getting a job?

Hello

First of all I'd like to apologize if this thread is in the wrong section!
Second of all a question; how difficult would it be getting a job and relocating to the states?
I'm currently 21 (coming up on 22), I've completed an apprenticeship in the UK with a pretty big and we'll known engineering company (well known world wide I'd say), it's a level 3 apprenticeship which included 2 years at college which gave me a level 3 HNC in electrical engineering, I also have a BTEC level 3 in the same field (plus a level 2 in electrical engineering prior to an apprenticeship).
The job it self is maintenance and fault finding in the railway specifically new train maintenance. It's a pretty high paying job with a prospect of getting paid even more.
Assuming I could get a visa, right to work ETC how difficult would it actually be getting a job there? Would I need higher qualifications to get a decent job there or would experience speak for that?

Thank you in advance!
Old Sep 3rd 2018, 11:56 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Difficulty of getting a job?

Welcome to BE.

Please read through the following article...if you fit into one of the categories you may be in with a chance of moving to the US. Please bear in mind you have chosen one of the most difficult countries on the planet to move to.

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulas...ork_in_the_USA
Old Sep 3rd 2018, 2:19 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DoubleDK
Assuming I could get a visa, right to work ETC how difficult would it actually be getting a job there? Would I need higher qualifications to get a decent job there or would experience speak for that?
The visa is tied to the job, so you're saying it backwards. Getting a job offer could be the easiest part. The employer would have to sponsor you for a work visa, costing them thousands of dollars. Plus, the job itself must require a degree, and you must have that degree or substitute years of work experience instead.

I am not sure if you or your job qualifies for a work visa to the USA, but just pointing out that you first need an employer to sponsor you, THEN you apply for the work visa which is tied to that specific employer.

Rene
Old Sep 3rd 2018, 2:49 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Does the company you work for have offices in the USA? If so, after a year or more on the job you could look into the possibility of a transfer. This something you need to see as a long-term project.
Old Sep 3rd 2018, 3:18 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I know the Railroads are short of staff, a generation retiring, I agree with the others get a transfer.
Old Sep 3rd 2018, 4:19 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101

I am not sure if you or your job qualifies for a work visa to the USA, but just pointing out that you first need an employer to sponsor you, THEN you apply for the work visa which is tied to that specific employer.

Rene
You don't apply for the work visa. The company applies for the visa. You are just along for the ride and at the young age of 21 (and yes, 22 is the next age up), it is doubtful that you have the qualifications for employment unless you are super intelligent and then might qualify for the O visa.

Last edited by Rete; Sep 3rd 2018 at 5:39 pm.
Old Sep 3rd 2018, 5:43 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
You don't apply for the work visa. The company applies for the visa. You are just along for the ride and at the young age of 21 (and yes, 22 is the next age up), it is doubtful that you have the qualifications for employment unless you are super intelligent and then might qualify for the O visa.
Technically, the employer files the petition. But ultimately the OP would be the one applying for the visa and going to the visa interview. I know I wasn't clear.

Rene