Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The difference between Uk and USA employment.

The difference between Uk and USA employment.

Old Apr 13th 2007, 1:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

loopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond repute
Default The difference between Uk and USA employment.

So as some of you know 7 weeks ago I got a herniated disc and sciatica and hubbys boss was a complete arse about him working from home for 2 days and basically was threatened with him being sacked.

Still in pain have not been able to drive for 7 weeks etc so was scheduled for MRI this morning at the earliest time of 8.30am.

I picked this time so not to interfere with hubbies work to much.

This morning the company had system problems with an system from an outside company, it was beyond any other member of staff to call these people and get it sorted so guess what happenend?

A rather nice call to hubby of raised voice, the inclusion of this is not the first time its happened etc

Net result my MRI scan was cancelled with 20 mins notice ( bill comming my way) and hubby hot footed it into work.

What is wrong with these people here?
Old Apr 13th 2007, 2:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

miss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The difference between Uk and USA employment.

His boss sounds like an a$$hole!. Talk about un-sympathetic
Old Apr 13th 2007, 2:24 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by miss scouse atl
His boss sounds like an a$$hole!. Talk about un-sympathetic
And hubby sounds like a wimp. "I'm sorry- I am at the Doctor with my wife, as I told you I would be... I can't come right now, but I will be in as soon as we are finished" would have been my reply.

Maybe he should have taken a vacation day?
Old Apr 13th 2007, 2:30 pm

Lycanthrop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ironporer
And hubby sounds like a wimp. "I'm sorry- I am at the Doctor with my wife, as I told you I would be... I can't come right now, but I will be in as soon as we are finished" would have been my reply.

Now, now.......most people are very intimidated by the US working environment. Its only after you've been shafted a few times you finally say "fvck it.....I've had enough of this cr@p"

I worked 16 frigging hours the other day and at midnight I told my lead that I'd be a bit late in the morning........he looked at me funny and started some mealy-mouthed justification for being "on-time" to which I just said goodnight and I'll see you around 10 or 11.

I dragged in at noon....... No comment was made......

.......course in your trade, they'd never find the body.........
Old Apr 13th 2007, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

loopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ironporer

Vacation days are a joke!

last year we had a vacation and they had probs and was ordered to get on a plane and get to the US office.

He did not go but really theres just no way we should have moved here after that but we did.

With a H1B visa you are so vulnerable, if they sack you your out of here pretty quickly.
Old Apr 13th 2007, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

miss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to behold

Looks like I have a lot to learn . Im about to start my first job over here and now Im scared!
Old Apr 13th 2007, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

Leeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Not every US employer is the same! Sounds like your hubby is on call as part of his job and works for some demanding people to boot. They sound like arseholes too. Asking him to cut short vacation and get on a plane? Fk that!

I've worked for people in the UK who've gone mental at the mere thought of taking a day off for sick spouse etc. So it works both ways.

Sounds to me like you'd be better off if hubby looked for another job with more a understanding employer. They do exist over here you know .

Last edited by Leeds_Lass; Apr 13th 2007 at 3:05 pm. Reason: Overly harsh comments.
Old Apr 13th 2007, 2:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Leeds_Lass
Oh for crying out loud not every US employer is the same! Sounds like your hubby is on call as part of his job and works for some demanding people to boot. They sound like arseholes too. Asking him to cut short vacation and get on a plane? Fk that!

Gonna brag a bit here but my employer is great. If I need a day off at short notice, no prob. I'm going home at xmas for almost 3 weeks, no prob. That said, I'm not on call, I work in the office however there's only two of us here so me being away does put a bit of a strain on the other girl but still, it's no problem. They understand my situation/need to visit home and are very helpful about it.

We've had people have to go to hospital's with spouses at last notice, take days off because of spouse medical issues and every time the situation has been understood.

I've worked for people in the UK who've gone mental at the mere thought of taking a day off for sick spouse etc. So it works both ways.

Sounds to me like you'd be better off if hubby looked for another job with more a understanding employer. They do exist over here you know .

No hes not on call, they just arses really thats the end of it.
Old Apr 13th 2007, 3:02 pm

Lycanthrop is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh for crying out loud not every US employer is the same! ...................Sounds to me like you'd be better off if hubby looked for another job with more a understanding employer. They do exist over here you know .
Errrrr, I've had 10 jobs in America and can honestly say I'd only go back to 2 of them if I had to choose (different line of work now). There is quite definately a trend of employer abuse at worst and apathy at best.....

As a side-note, working here on contract (ie: a temp) has been absolutely wonderfull and I've never had such a good attitude towards work......it just took 2 kin' decades to suss it out.
Old Apr 13th 2007, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

Leeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Ugh Loopy. How protected are you under your H1B visa? I mean, if you have another medical appointment for example, and hubs were to be called in again and told them to fk right off? Do you live in a right to work state? Would right to work even affect H1B visa?

I feel for you if you are being forced to bow down to the employers for the sake of the visa.

Edited my initial post. Maybe I've been lucky with employers or maybe the attitude here is different.

Last edited by Leeds_Lass; Apr 13th 2007 at 3:06 pm.
Old Apr 13th 2007, 3:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I've worked both sides and in the middle so agree that not all companies are bad.

First job sucked, no vacation at all, you generally had to work the holidays and get a day back you could take, needed a doctors note if you were ill, needed an obituary if you called off because of a funeral, stupidly high insurance costs, no retirement plan and were generally made to feel like crap most of the time.

Second was in the middle. Got vacation which started the 1st of the year after you started the job, 2 weeks and a week of sick time. Retirement plan after a year, insurance but no dental. They made you take sick time to go to the doctors and you couldn't work from home. Bad pay and there was generally a big divide between the workers and the bosses.

Third and current is excellent. Vacation from day 1. Retirement after 3 months. Let you work from home when needed, even with about 10 minutes notice. Have been excellent with doctors appointments. The owners are usually around and treat everyone like equals.

I guess it's just the luck of the draw, it's still not like England though. When I was talking to a friend last year he said he was taking off September. I asked him which week and his reply..."No, I'm taking off September" The annoying thing was that was only half his yearly time off!
Old Apr 13th 2007, 3:15 pm
Just Joined

agostinism is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by miss scouse atl
Looks like I have a lot to learn . Im about to start my first job over here and now Im scared!
Don't be. Mean individuals are everywhere, and that is a fact of life here in the US or anywhere else. If something like a health issue is stopping you from work just refer to your employment guidelines. You should be entitled to at least a personal day, 2 days for sickness without having to justify it (some companies require that if you take more than 3 days, then you need a doctors note) and then your vacation days, which it is up to you when to use them. Again I am providing you the bare minimum.

In this particular case I have to agree this kind of attitude from a boss is completely unprofessional. You can always make your case that you and your family come first. In fact if you get sacked you can sue your employer if your wife or children's health is used as a reason for termination.

Cheers!
Old Apr 13th 2007, 3:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ugh Loopy. How protected are you under your H1B visa? I mean, if you have another medical appointment for example, and hubs were to be called in again and told them to fk right off? Do you live in a right to work state? Would right to work even affect H1B visa?

I feel for you if you are being forced to bow down to the employers for the sake of the visa.

Edited my initial post. Maybe I've been lucky with employers or maybe the attitude here is different.

Leeds_Lass I really dont know the answer to your question.

My understanding is that if they sack him they have to notify the visagency immediately and our visa is cancelled meaning we are here illegally and have to leave the country.

I am not sure if they are responsible for the costs in getting us home or not.

I do need to get this MRI done, also I have to have an EMG done in 2 weeks time.

I will look into the right to work thing-no idea what its about.

RE editing your post, I did not take it in a neg way so no worries there, we all have different experiences here. Lucky yours a good.
Old Apr 13th 2007, 3:17 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agostinism
..........You can always make your case that you and your family come first. In fact if you get sacked you can sue your employer if your wife or children's health is used as a reason for termination.

Cheers!
Perhaps you'd care to explain how this would work, since an H1b + family have 10 days to leave the US upon termination of employment?
Old Apr 13th 2007, 3:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Elvira
Perhaps you'd care to explain how this would work, since an H1b + family have 10 days to leave the US upon termination of employment?
Thank you Elvira,

I wondered how long it was, do you know anything about repat costs?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.