Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Did you bring your pet to the US or leave it beind?

Did you bring your pet to the US or leave it beind?

Old Aug 20th 2006, 7:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Did you bring your pet to the US or leave it beind?

When we came here over 10 yrs ago, I had to leave my 2 Dobermans behind in the UK for a number of reasons. Firstly, we originally came on the basis we would give it 1 or 2 yrs then go home and I didn't want to put them through 6 mths quarantine on our return. Secondly, because of this we lived in rental property and couldn't find a landlord that would accept 2 large dogs. The breeder kindly agreed to look after them for me....they lived in her house with her family.

I knew I would be upset about leaving them but didn't realise just how upset I would be. I was absolutely heartbroken....if I could do it all again there is absolutely no way I would have come to live in the US.

I swore I would never have another dog just in case we wanted to move again....but life just wasn't the same. I am a dog person and my dogs are a big part of my life...always have been, always will be. Now I have a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and a long haired Chihuahua, they are both black and tan and have the exact markings of my Doberman.

So to all you pet people out there...did you bring them to the US or foolishly like me, did you leave them behind?
Old Aug 20th 2006, 7:44 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did you bring your pet to the US or leave it beind?

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl

So to all you pet people out there...did you bring them to the US or foolishly like me, did you leave them behind?
I miss my Goldfish, his name was Sharky.
Old Aug 20th 2006, 7:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
I miss my Goldfish, his name was Sharky.
My husband brought his 8 Orandas with us....they were allowed in the rental.
Old Aug 20th 2006, 7:48 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

And my Worm Farm, their names were Dug, Peat, Slimey and Mr Wiggly.
Old Aug 20th 2006, 7:49 pm

My husband brought his 8 Orandas with us....they were allowed in the rental.
What's an Oranda?
Old Aug 20th 2006, 7:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

We brought our border collie with us - she is older and very much part of the family, it would have been like leaving a child behind. It wasn't cheap, but definitely something we'd do again. Sadly she is not doing too well these days....
Old Aug 20th 2006, 7:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

cinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond repute

My Maine Coon is a family member. I knew I was coming here long term so there was no question of leaving him behind. My breeder put a clause into the contract when I got him, saying that if I could ever not keep him for any reason, she would have take him back so I'd have done that if I couldn't have brought him with me.

When my parents were in Brunei, my Mum got a Siamese cat which was given away to other Brits when they came back; my Dad adopted a wild dog and since that was not a pedigree no one else would take it so it was put down. My Dad was pretty heartbroken, if you love dogs then you do get attached to them, but in those days (1961) moving them across the world wasn't an option. He didn't choose to get a dog, the dog sort of adopted him. (It followed him home as a puppy, so he kept it).
Old Aug 20th 2006, 7:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

What's an Oranda?
A big, fat goldfish with a long billowy tail and fins. I'm not a fish person.
Old Aug 20th 2006, 8:00 pm

A big, fat goldfish with a long billowy tail and fins. I'm not a fish person.
Do they act Koi?
Old Aug 20th 2006, 8:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
We brought our border collie with us - she is older and very much part of the family, it would have been like leaving a child behind. It wasn't cheap, but definitely something we'd do again. Sadly she is not doing too well these days....
Sorry to hear that Lisa...they always break our hearts...one day.

Yes it is just like leaving a child behind.
Old Aug 20th 2006, 8:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Do they act Koi?
You're a bugger Gruff...but you know that don't you.
Old Aug 20th 2006, 8:03 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

When we came here over 10 yrs ago, I had to leave my 2 Dobermans behind in the UK for a number of reasons. Firstly, we originally came on the basis we would give it 1 or 2 yrs then go home and I didn't want to put them through 6 mths quarantine on our return. Secondly, because of this we lived in rental property and couldn't find a landlord that would accept 2 large dogs. The breeder kindly agreed to look after them for me....they lived in her house with her family.

I knew I would be upset about leaving them but didn't realise just how upset I would be. I was absolutely heartbroken....if I could do it all again there is absolutely no way I would have come to live in the US.

I swore I would never have another dog just in case we wanted to move again....but life just wasn't the same. I am a dog person and my dogs are a big part of my life...always have been, always will be. Now I have a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and a long haired Chihuahua, they are both black and tan and have the exact markings of my Doberman.

Well, we adopted our dog when she was 8 weeks old from the Phoenix, AZ humane society. When she was about 10 yrs old we moved back to Britain and she came with us (about 1 year after she got done with her 6 months of Quarantine they did away with it! ). We only thought momentarily of not taking her with us as the 6 month quarantine is really unpleasant for them but it would have been like leaving a member of the family behind and we just couldn't do it. A very good friend in AZ offered to adopt her and so did my in-laws but we just couldn't do it. She lived with us for 3 years in Britain then hopped on a plane and moved with us to SD. A year later she moved with us to NY! Phew! We have a very jetsetting dog!
Old Aug 20th 2006, 8:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by cinnabar
My Maine Coon is a family member. I knew I was coming here long term so there was no question of leaving him behind. My breeder put a clause into the contract when I got him, saying that if I could ever not keep him for any reason, she would have take him back so I'd have done that if I couldn't have brought him with me.

When my parents were in Brunei, my Mum got a Siamese cat which was given away to other Brits when they came back; my Dad adopted a wild dog and since that was not a pedigree no one else would take it so it was put down. My Dad was pretty heartbroken, if you love dogs then you do get attached to them, but in those days (1961) moving them across the world wasn't an option. He didn't choose to get a dog, the dog sort of adopted him. (It followed him home as a puppy, so he kept it).

What's a Maine Coon? Good breeders will always take their dogs back....sometimes they will rehome them....they just want to know that their dogs are going to a good home. It is a question I always ask a breeder.
Old Aug 20th 2006, 8:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by blaze
Well, we adopted our dog when she was 8 weeks old from the Phoenix, AZ humane society. When she was about 10 yrs old we moved back to Britain and she came with us (about 1 year after she got done with her 6 months of Quarantine they did away with it! ). We only thought momentarily of not taking her with us as the 6 month quarantine is really unpleasant for them but it would have been like leaving a member of the family behind and we just couldn't do it. A very good friend in AZ offered to adopt her and so did my in-laws but we just couldn't do it. She lived with us for 3 years in Britain then hopped on a plane and moved with us to SD. A year later she moved with us to NY! Phew! We have a very jetsetting dog!

That's a lovely story Blaze. Sadly there were other factors with my dogs too. One was highly strung and the vet advised against the long journey. You cannot sedate a dog for that amount of time without a vet in attendance. I contacted the Kennel Club to find out how their members transport dogs to international pet shows. We even enquired about chartering a private plane so that a vet could travel with them.
Old Aug 20th 2006, 8:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

cinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond repute

What's a Maine Coon? Good breeders will always take their dogs back....sometimes they will rehome them....they just want to know that their dogs are going to a good home. It is a question I always ask a breeder.
This is a Maine Coon (ours, actually):
Attached Thumbnails Did you bring your pet to the US or leave it beind?-md-bath.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.